Spyder Garage

Default GoldWing rider x 25yrs,,,making the jump to RT...talk to me Goose..

so..took the factory demo rides..love the bike...my wife loves the bike....then I start reading threads galore about "limp mode", crummy dealer service, BRP customer service, etc
    Any input concerning my decision would be appreciated....
    Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az

Spyder Garage

Most people have had good experiences with the spyder. The RT is now in its third iteration and most bugs have been worked out. You hear a lot from the few who have experienced problems and are not happy with the dealer service.

A good dealer with a good service department is what to look for. Set up on the RT is very important--and if done right--will lead to a happy spyder experience.

There is a preferred dealer list in the threads--you might check that out. I am also sure that others will chime in and make some recommendations for you.

If you have bad feelings about what is going to happen, why trade a sure thing for the unknown? Good luck on your final decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default new rt

Of course you will hear of some horror stories just as all brands will have some lemons. I for one only had good experiences with brp, dealer and the spyder itself. I did have limp mode pop up twice for low oil pressure 524 i think. But it was taken care of at next service along with power steering unit and rear shock. Had 16000 miles on it when destroyed in the texas wildfires. Replaced it with a 2011 and have seen the same great product with good service from Central Texas Powersports (my dealer of choice) Just my 2 cents worth. You will always hear more from people who have problems and not so much from those who don't have any problems. My wife loves the spyder, other bikes, not so much. Good luck
    2010 RTac, Utopia backrest, spyder pops heat shield, KewlMetal grip endcaps, Gps mount, hmt tail lights, day ryders, siebel horn, Kohmo ast tire.. oh yeah wife of 25 years always on the back seat with q2 headset!Correction!!!!.. the Bastrop fires engulfed the poor spyder after 16000 fun filled miles. Now riding 2011 metalic RTS with nbv footpegs, heat shield, hmt with strobe, Utopia backrest, and the same wife of 25 years with g4 headsets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyspots View Post
    so..took the factory demo rides..love the bike...my wife loves the bike....then I start reading threads galore about "limp mode", crummy dealer service, BRP customer service, etc
    Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az
    I own bikes and bought the Spyder to do some serious cross country touring, My wife doesn't like the two wheelers anymore and only rides the spyder. I had questions as well about the bad stories you read about on the forums then I relized that the thousands of people without problems don't talk about it much,they just enjoy the ride. Kind of like the news on t.v. you hardly every hear about good news. We've rode across country and back and over 8 thousand miles later I would buy the Spyder again in a heartbeat. It is a ball. I hardly ever hop on one of my 6 two wheelers anymore.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az
    For me, my dealer completes my great ownership experience with my spyder. I had a few minor issues and my dealer has fixed the problems fast and right the first time. IMHO what makes my dealer so great is that he is platinum full line BRP dealer.He has overnight parts delivery,sends all of his techs to spyder school not just select ones, he sends his salesman to BRP sales school, all of his staff know about the products they sell, the spyder test rides last an hour not just5 min around the block. The dealer and his staff know their customers by name and when you call you don't get an answering machine you actually talk to a real pleasant person. If by some strange reason your spyder did not get fixed right the first time he will give you a loner if it was his fault that it did not get fixed. I have a dealer 2min from where I live but they do not even come close to the standards that my dealer have so I drive 45 min to get to him and also my dealer is not the cheapest around but IMHO he is the best. I have never owned a bike before but I am sure having fun riding my spyder
    Last edited by Marker; 04-19-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes as others have stated, the worst place to look for advice or a sense of security is a "Forum". They are all the same quite frankly, not specific to this one. Go to a Polaris site, Go to a Yamaha site, and the in depth knowledge of these folks about their brands makes it seem like all they do is fix it?

The advise to make sure you have access to a solid dealer is very much a neccessity when it comes to the Spyder. There are lots of dealers out there but make sure you have access to a good one (BRP Spyder endorsed), its not like a Honda where there seems to be a dealership at every corner. Test drive as much as possible and make sure the 3 wheeler world is where you want to go. Coming from a Goldwing to a Spyder is a totally different experience then say if you were going to buy a loaded Harley?

So far I love it, the Spyder has been exactly what I thought it would be and my dealer prepared me well. I had a very positive dealer experience and just cant stop smiling when I am on it. Love the interest of other folks in the Spyder and it is a lot of fun to talk about it!

Good Luck with your decision................
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Just go to Spyderfest and buy one of the Special RT's, problem solved.

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

The dealer makes the product. Hopefully somebody in area will come up with recommendations. I travel two hours to get to my dealer. Last week I called him to have them check it out before going to Spyderfest. They scheduled me with another Spyder figuring to squeeze us in together hoping one is late. Didn't work we were both early birds. He won I had to go to the bathroom before going to the counter. But the dealership is still NO ! to me.

Spyder Garage

We still have our Gold Wing but I'm like your wife. As we get older, I don't feel as safe as I used to feel. So, last year I bought a Spyder for myself. Believe me, our Gold Wing is now very lonely as we leave it in the garage and ride our Spyder. She will need to get used to the passenger ride due to centrifugal force being different than the Wing. But it's worth it to feel safer overall.

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Spyder Garage

Default my spyder 100%

"A good dealer with a good service department is what to look for. Set up on the RT is very important--and if done right--will lead to a happy spyder experience. "
    stole that faster then pecking...

my 2011 spyder RT has been trouble free for 7000 miles,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing to RT

I fell in love with the Spyder RT the first time I saw it in the Tucson dealership. I was actually in there to buy a quad. Needless to say I went back in July and came out with a new pearl white RT Limited. It has been in the shop on and off since then, mostly alignment, wandering issues. I have had 2 alignments done and a new set of front tires. It was back in on Thurs. 2nd alignment, switch front tires, balanced and off we went. It seemed to track better but still some wandering over 70. My check engine light came on in Coolidge and stayed on until Oracle where the light shut off. It was 100 degrees out and I was a bit panicked. I cannot close or lock my back trunk now. It is going in for its 6000 mile check Tues. All I can say is get the warranty. Maybe my bike wasn't put together well initially I don't know. I love riding and am so used to this bike that I am hanging in there. I cannot say I have much faith in the dealerships in Southern AZ. If I could ship it to Cowtown I would. If I decide to go to Durango I will trailer it. I have no desire to get stuck in Colorado or the trip there. If you happen to get one of the "good" ones you will love it! Anne

I
    Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing X - 2 Spyder Family

Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az
    After 21 years on GL1500's and a GL1800A and 3 Spyder Demo rides, we purchased a new 2009 GS SM5 from Las Cruces Motorsports NM in Dec. 2008. Just purchased a new 2012 RT-S SM5 w/CB and Trailer Hitch options from the same dealer last month. Don't know how far you are from Las Cruces, but I live 673 miles from there and will continue to do business with them. No problems. Wife says "RS passenger ride is better than Goldwings and RT Passenger ride/seat much better than Goldwings". That makes me happy. Both Spyders are GREAT RYDES !
    GO 4 IT ! and purchase the 3 year extended BEST Warranty.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I too was a Goldwing guy

But I am committed to the Spyder now. I bought new 2012 RTS in Feb. and have had no issues I have 2200 miles on it now. I am not looking back. It is Spyder or bust for me.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

I too came from a Goldwing, I had a Gl1800, that we both really loved, but a worsening hip problem moved us into the Spyder. There are some thing I like better about the Spyder, I don't have to balance it, don't worry about the cracks or seam sealers on the roads, gravel, all those safety things. I do however miss, the Gold Wing, ( more power, better fuel economy, engine much smoother, and the reliability factor. ). The Rt rides smoother in a straight line suspension wise, but the Goldwing seat was more comfortable for both of us. We drove 1075 mile to My Sister in-laws house in 18 hours straight on our wing. No way on our Spyder. In fact in Iowa we drove in such wind. we were almost dragging the pegs to go straight. We would have parked our spyder. Don't get me wrong I like My Spyder but I loved My Wing. It's hell getting old.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Goldwing to Spyder

Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az
    I just took the step you are talking about. Great experience so far, but to be honest, my ownership record is too brief to be adequate. Let the more experienced Spyder owners advise you.

But here are some observations from a newbie. First full day I had my Spyder, I thought "What the hell have I done !!" Different feel; different ride; etc. Within 2 days, I was in "love" with my Spyder. I will tell you, I read the manual and watched the hokey DVD. It helps so do that.

Also, the tool kit is under the seat, velcroed to the bottom (on my Spyder RT-S SM5) and the owner's manual is velcroed to the back sidewall of the front trunk (my trunk came with a liner so the manual location was not that obvious). 2 different salespeople told me there was NO toolkit. Someone from the service department pointed the location out to me.

Did I say READ THE MANUAL? Especially useful when trying to learn the audio system. I have Ipod Touch and love the radio interface, but helps to read the manual to figure out the operation of the Ipod via the hand controls. Also, you can adjust some of the features of the Spyder to your personal preferences if you take the time to learn what adjustments you can make. READ THE MANUAL

I still have my Goldwing and I am trying to decide what to do with it? I am healthy with no physicall problems, but I am already enjoying the obvious safety and stability of my Spyder (no planting your feet firmly to prevent "dropping" your bike) every time you stop. No worrying about a squirming passenger throwing the balance off when stopped.

Good luck on your decision.

Spyder Garage

After 40 years of riding on two wheels, the last 7 on a Goldwing 1800 + a spare one up for myself I decided it was a wise decision to get off two wheels. I traded both my bikes for a 2012 RT Limited. I have a good dealer and I am very pleased with my Limited... I would not even consider going back to two wheels for two up riding. My wife and I both feel safer, more comfortable and relaxed on the 3 wheels. A conventional trike never interest me, now the two wheel in front did since 2008 when I rode my first Spyder. I said if they ever make a touring version then I will be very interested. Well they did in 2010 and as others have said by 2012 they have made a lot of progress.

Dealer Set-Up and good dealer service is the key to happiness on a Can-Am. I purchased an additional 3 years warranty and 3 years maintenance contract just to feel secure.

We have lot's of knowledge here and the best people you will ever meet... Unlike most other forums.

Good Luck and feel free to ask a lot of questions. Very few have problems but those are the ones you read about and like I said most problems are caused from operator error and dealer set-up/dealer service.
    Last edited by Chazzman; 04-28-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    'Bikeless'

Spyder Garage

Here's a Phoenix area dealer that I would recomend. The owner is John Juliano. Not only owns the business, he participates in its everyday operation. A little ways from you for sure. But, a good dealer WILL mean alot.

http://www.desertdogoffroad.com/

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    After 40 years of riding on two wheels, the last 7 on a Goldwing 1800 + a spare one up for myself I decided it was a wise decision to get off two wheels. I traded both my bikes for a 2012 RT Limited. I have a good dealer and I am very pleased with my Limited... I would not even consider going back to two wheels for two up riding. My wife and I both feel safer, more comfortable and relaxed on the 3 wheels. A conventional trike never interest me, now the two wheel in front did since 2008 when I rode my first Spyder. I said if they ever make a touring version then I will be very interested. Well they did in 2010 and as others have said by 2012 they have made a lot of progress.

Dealer Set-Up and good dealer service is the key to happiness on a Can-Am. I purchased an additional 3 years warranty and 3 years maintenance contract just to feel secure.

We have lot's of knowledge here and the best people you will ever meet... Unlike most other forums.

Good Luck and feel free to ask a lot of questions. Very few have problems but those are the ones you read about and like I said most problems are caused from operator error and dealer set-up/dealer service.
    I have a 2010 RT-S with just over 8500 miles on it (trouble free). I agree the first model had some warranty issues, the power steering unit and some programming changes. This was done to mine before delivery. I understand some has had throttle body replacements under warranty as well. Seems that has occured to '11's and 12's also, not sure what is causing that. . This being said, the only thing I have done to my 2010 is put a set of 2011 shocks on it. The '10 shocks were a little soft. I am not a sport rider so I didn't spring for the Elka's or Fox. All in all I feel mine is on par with the 11 and 12's. I don't know of any other mechanical change differences. At this time it is reliable and my wife and I really enjoy it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so far... The fun is in the shopping anyway!
    Nobody would buy anything if these forums were any actual indication of what goes on in the real World...
    Folks who like to complain often do it the loudest when they think that they've found an audience...
    Folks who are happy are usually too busy riding to spend time typing...
    Everybody else here has stressed the imortance of having the correct dealer. This is the best advice that you could hear!
    Finding the right dealer..,
    I think that there have been some suggestions in here for you; I'd look to them to see if they're as good as we've heard.
    Anyway; Good Luck! and let us know what you find out there!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Making the jump...

Thanks in advance

Mike & Sharon
    Vail, Az

So what are you waiting for? Christmas???

You won't be disappointed!