Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Rear Suspension Issues

On my 2010 RTS, the rear suspension pump doesn't seem to be working. I have checked fuse F8 (horn works, so I know the fuse is good) and reseated relay R1 for the rear suspension. I put a pressure gauge on the under seat valve and found there was about 30 lbs in it & pumped it up to 60 lbs with my home air compressor. When I push the up/down adjustment switch, I get a reading on the display that suggests I am running the pressure up/down, but get no response from the Spyder to confirm it. No compressor running and no air escaping sounds. My dealer installed a new 2011 instrument cluster last year to address the PTT delay issue with the CB. When I had the Spyder serviced a few weeks ago, the Service Manager told me that they discovered that they had neglected to set some setting on the new cluster to enable the rear suspension adjustment system when they installed the new cluster & that they had corrected it while servicing it. Because neither the pump nor the valve that reduces the pressure seem to be working, I doubt it is a pump issue, but rather something before the pump. Because the display changes with the switch manipulated, I believe the switch is likely working. I do not have the skills to test the relay and the relay seat.

I don't want to run it to the dealer because I am coming to SpyderFest & don't want to not have the Spyder available to me right now. I figure I can work with the manual adjustment as a work around.

Anyone have a suggestion on what more I can check?

Thanks
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

didnt think mine was working as well so checked pressure and then increased on dash with engine running and rechecked it and found pressure had increased

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgive me for not paying attention to exactly how this all works... Isn't there a pretty specific set of conditions that must be in place for the compressor to actually load the shock up with air? "In gear" perhaps??
    If you've got somebody nearby who can run a tape measure, have them stand behind you and take a measurement with the suspension let all the way down... Then air it up and see if they measure any change in the ride height.
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It sounds like you have a Programming issue with your spyder. When I took delivery of my 2010 RTs SE5 I found that the compressor would not come on to add air to the rear suspension. I had to take it back to dealer so that they could install an updated program as the ACS upper and lower settings were the same . After the new program was installed the whole air ride suspension works great. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you have to take it back to the dealer for a program update. Here is a post about the issue http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ear+suspension
    Last edited by Marker; 04-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm kind of tending to agree with Marker...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The best way to check the suspension function is to measure from the ground to the rear fender...or have a bystander watch from the side as you make adjustments. The Spyder must be runnning and in gear for the ACS to function.

I have never seen it before, but it seems to me that you could get a change in the display without a corresonding change out back. In use, the display shows the setting, and not the ride height from the sensor. Possible causes of malfunction, in that case, would be a bad release solenoid, or a bad compressor...or even a disconnected or failed ACS sensor. If you make the changes and the rear of the Spyder does not measure differently, you should have a dealer look at it. They can test the component function via BUDS.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I neglected to mention that I have indeed tried the switch while the engine is running and while it is in gear. In fact, I have done it both while sitting in the saddle and while dismounted & have no indication that the system is working.

I do recall, when the RT was new, that I would hear it make adjustments automatically from time to time. I haven't heard that in a long time. When I manually added air, the rear of the bike "jumped" up several inches & appears to be holding air, so I know the the air bag is working.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I neglected to mention that I have indeed tried the switch while the engine is running and while it is in gear. In fact, I have done it both while sitting in the saddle and while dismounted & have no indication that the system is working.

I do recall, when the RT was new, that I would hear it make adjustments automatically from time to time. I haven't heard that in a long time. When I manually added air, the rear of the bike "jumped" up several inches & appears to be holding air, so I know the the air bag is working.
    Sounds like a system failure alright. Some measurements would tell you for sure.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Marker, reading through the link you provided and seeing Scotty's comment concerning the warranty campaign bulletin, I'm inclined to think that is exactly what is going on here. I hope to get it checked out today.

Thanks a ton guys!
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Marker, reading through the link you provided and seeing Scotty's comment concerning the warranty campaign bulletin, I'm inclined to think that is exactly what is going on here. I hope to get it checked out today.

Thanks a ton guys!

Glad to be of some help !! I could change the bars on the suspension setting on the display with nothing happening out back. What really hit home for me was at a Spyder Rally everyone's RTS was making noise with the air bleeding off and compressor coming on except mine . Knew right there and then I had a problem.

Spyder Garage

My adjustments won't take place to I start moving.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    My adjustments won't take place to I start moving.
    But you do know when they happen. Mine just doesn't do it anymore.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Spyder Garage

Mark- I have exactly the same situation. Exactly. And like you, no time to have the dealer look at it ( plus they are running way behind). I'm thinking of asking a tech at Cowtown next week.

Twins?
    Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

On my 2010 I can sit and look in the mirror and see the rear end rise/lower as I adjust.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

Hopefully this will help those of you with this issue as I had a very similar situation. My 2010 RTS had the cluster replaced with a 2011. I had issues first with my rear airbag loosing air, the dealership checked all fittings, it held air, but when I went to automatically adjust the ride height from pressing the dash, I got an orange manual screen where before it would show a bar graph of more or less. I did a search on this and read nancy'stoy( Scotty ) saying to look at service bulletin 60005 (or something like that. Well I printed it out after the dealer could not only not fix but called BRP, and they said there was no fix for the 2010 HELLO, Scotty to the rescue, they needed to tell BRP it was a 2011 cluster which there is a fix for.

so i print out scotty's TSB! And although it was missing one zero we were able to locate the fix where they have to recalibrate the ride height parameters and put a block of wood underneath the bike and perform a couple of things to properly recognize the new parameters. Wala, I am so thankful. Hope this helps your issue. The fix I believe was instituted July 11th of 2011, for model year 2011, if u have a 2010 they ( the dealership) will think it doesn't apply.

Spyder Garage

Default REAR SUSPENSION SHOCK

HEY MARK, YOUR NEIGHBOR ICEMAN HERE. THIS IS GONNA SOUND STUPID BUT HERE GOES. HAD THE SAME PROBLEM UNTIL MY WIFE DECIDED TO RIDE ONE DAY. STOP LAUGHING, SHE ONLY WEIGHS 100LBS WET. I GUESS HER GETTING OFF AND ON THE PASSENGER SEAT TRIGGERED SOMETHING. HAVENT HAD THE PROBLEM SINCE.

On my 2010 RTS, the rear suspension pump doesn't seem to be working. I have checked fuse F8 (horn works, so I know the fuse is good) and reseated relay R1 for the rear suspension. I put a pressure gauge on the under seat valve and found there was about 30 lbs in it & pumped it up to 60 lbs with my home air compressor. When I push the up/down adjustment switch, I get a reading on the display that suggests I am running the pressure up/down, but get no response from the Spyder to confirm it. No compressor running and no air escaping sounds. My dealer installed a new 2011 instrument cluster last year to address the PTT delay issue with the CB. When I had the Spyder serviced a few weeks ago, the Service Manager told me that they discovered that they had neglected to set some setting on the new cluster to enable the rear suspension adjustment system when they installed the new cluster & that they had corrected it while servicing it. Because neither the pump nor the valve that reduces the pressure seem to be working, I doubt it is a pump issue, but rather something before the pump. Because the display changes with the switch manipulated, I believe the switch is likely working. I do not have the skills to test the relay and the relay seat.

I don't want to run it to the dealer because I am coming to SpyderFest & don't want to not have the Spyder available to me right now. I figure I can work with the manual adjustment as a work around.

Anyone have a suggestion on what more I can check?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Air Bag

Went through all kinds of BS 6 weeks ago. Bottom line, 1 day of troubleshooting and they broke it.
    Next day, did the buds thing, really a pain - it didn't work. BRP rep said to take the key out and put it 30 feet or more away for 40 minutes, They did that and it's been fine ever since. Somehow it got de-programmed and what the 40 minutes had to do with it might be BS, burt it still works.

Hope you got it today.

Have a great trip. Say hi to all the GA folks for me, please. Can't go this year, hopefully next year.

Tuck
    Last edited by TuckMiddle; 04-23-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: lousy speller

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Hopefully this will help those of you with this issue as I had a very similar situation. My 2010 RTS had the cluster replaced with a 2011. I had issues first with my rear airbag loosing air, the dealership checked all fittings, it held air, but when I went to automatically adjust the ride height from pressing the dash, I got an orange manual screen where before it would show a bar graph of more or less. I did a search on this and read nancy'stoy( Scotty ) saying to look at service bulletin 60005 (or something like that. Well I printed it out after the dealer could not only not fix but called BRP, and they said there was no fix for the 2010 HELLO, Scotty to the rescue, they needed to tell BRP it was a 2011 cluster which there is a fix for.

so i print out scotty's TSB! And although it was missing one zero we were able to locate the fix where they have to recalibrate the ride height parameters and put a block of wood underneath the bike and perform a couple of things to properly recognize the new parameters. Wala, I am so thankful. Hope this helps your issue. The fix I believe was instituted July 11th of 2011, for model year 2011, if u have a 2010 they ( the dealership) will think it doesn't apply.
    I have the exact issue with my 2010. But, my warranty ran out after the cluster was replaced, and I'm getting the orange "manual" display when I try the adjustment switch. The dealer's saying the sensor's bad and it's $350 to fix. I've asked them to call BRP and ask if they'll do anything as my warranty just expired last month. In the meantime, could you tell me what the correct number is for the service bulletin? I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Russ

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

what i can add to this issue is that when the cluster is replaced the rear suspension must be recalibrated then the manual ind will go away and the bars will reappear there is a written procedure from brp on this i made my dealership look up all his info even after they called brp while i was there they told the service guys that there was a bug fix in the the new clusters and that i would no longer have the ind bars for that. thats when i contacted lamont about this and he explained in full what the procedure was when you replace cluster.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    what i can add to this issue is that when the cluster is replaced the rear suspension must be recalibrated then the manual ind will go away and the bars will reappear there is a written procedure from brp on this i made my dealership look up all his info even after they called brp while i was there they told the service guys that there was a bug fix in the the new clusters and that i would no longer have the ind bars for that. thats when i contacted lamont about this and he explained in full what the procedure was when you replace cluster.
    Is this procedure something the dealer has to do?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just spoke to the dealer again. They told me BRP will pay for the parts, but I have to cover labor, which is $200. I still don't get the feeling they did this recalibration of the suspension after the cluster was replaced. I asked them if they did, and was told there is a whole regimen of resetting that has to be done, so he wouldn't know why the suspension wouldn't be included. They seem to be determined it's the sensor that is bad, but I have a feeling it's not. If someone could give me the number of the service bulletin that explains this or tell me how to look it up, I'd be grateful. If I can't find out what this calibration procedure is and convince them to try it, I hope that when they replace the sensor, it still doesn't fix the problem.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

contact lamont p.m. him he knows this stuff by memory he will have the answers you need and where to find this. its nothing you can do because it requires buds to be hooked up at the same time.it only takes like 5 min to do thats all it took for mine.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    contact lamont p.m. him he knows this stuff by memory he will have the answers you need and where to find this. its nothing you can do because it requires buds to be hooked up at the same time.it only takes like 5 min to do thats all it took for mine.
    Great advice... thanks very much.

Spyder Garage

Warranty Campaign bulletin #2011-006
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage