Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rider to Passenger Intercom Question

This is my first post on this forum. My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a new Spyder RT-S. Until now, I have been riding a GL1800 Goldwing and my wife has been riding a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado. We have decided that it it time to switch to a 3 wheeler and we are excited about getting a new Spyder. We will each ride it one up for local trips and 2 up for longer trips.

We would appreciate feedback on how well the intercom feature works. We understand that to make it work we have to purchase the CB option. Also understand that the intercom is voice activated. Any comments on the sound quality and any pros or cons will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Intercom answers.

I have an 2011 RTS. I have owned a Goldwing 2008 and several HD Ultras. The Can Am is as good or better than all of the others. We use J&M headsets that way we only have to change out the lower cord with differant bikes. I think you will be pleased with the RT. It takes a little setup time to get al the inital settings up for your tastes. I prefer the RT from the wing on Comfort and stability. It is hard to be that flat 6 for power and smoothness though. My wife really likes the comfort on the RT .
    Quote Originally Posted by x-winger View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. My wife and I are seriously considering purchasing a new Spyder RT-S. Until now, I have been riding a GL1800 Goldwing and my wife has been riding a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado. We have decided that it it time to switch to a 3 wheeler and we are excited about getting a new Spyder. We will each ride it one up for local trips and 2 up for longer trips.

We would appreciate feedback on how well the intercom feature works. We understand that to make it work we have to purchase the CB option. Also understand that the intercom is voice activated. Any comments on the sound quality and any pros or cons will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Party! You're making a very wise choice...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Consider the Sena SMH10 wireless or the Cardio setup. Works great. We have the Sena and for
    driver / passenger com, it can't be beat.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP CB Intercom

Thanks,
    Ed
    Having ridden Goldwings for 21 years, We have a 2012 RT-S with dealer installed CB(for warranty reason).
    We use J & M headsets w/ 7 pin lower cord. The Intercom is superior to our 1500 or 1800 Goldwings.
    The VOX and other options can be set in preferences menu as desired be the rider/passenger. Very satisfied with the system. When we get another RT, will do it again.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RTS and purchased the Can Am CB/Comm system, specifically for the helmet-to-helmet intercom system. My experience is that it's very finicky to get set up and working properly for the intercom. While we have it more or less working now, it's not ideal; I can hear my wife fine, but she can barely hear me, and we haven't been able to improve it via the various on-board adjustments through the bike (either the on-screen controls or the passenger volume buttons). Given that it's a very expensive option, I would consider the alternatives that others here have mentioned. We are actually considering buying the Sena SMH10D to use instead of the Can-Am system, since being able to talk to each other while touring was one of the reasons we purchased the bike in the first place; and we'd like to have a bit better experience doing so. The Sena seems to have pretty good reviews both here and on Amazon.

More Sci Fi & Fantasy Artwork by me: http://www.CynthiaRadthorne.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Radguy View Post
    We have a 2011 RTS and purchased the Can Am CB/Comm system, specifically for the helmet-to-helmet intercom system. My experience is that it's very finicky to get set up and working properly for the intercom. While we have it more or less working now, it's not ideal; I can hear my wife fine, but she can barely hear me, and we haven't been able to improve it via the various on-board adjustments through the bike (either the on-screen controls or the passenger volume buttons). Given that it's a very expensive option, I would consider the alternatives that others here have mentioned. We are actually considering buying the Sena SMH10D to use instead of the Can-Am system, since being able to talk to each other while touring was one of the reasons we purchased the bike in the first place; and we'd like to have a bit better experience doing so. The Sena seems to have pretty good reviews both here and on Amazon.
    Does your wife have her volume turned up? That was the problem on our system.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Consider the Sena SMH10 wireless or the Cardio setup. Works great. We have the Sena and for
    driver / passenger com, it can't be beat.
    +1 I agree we also have the sena SMH10 bluetooth wireless is the way to go you can get two pack for around $300.00
    each unit has its own vol. control.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

for the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom

This unit is great for driver to passenger communication. They also pair well to cell phones, GPS units and Bluetooth enabled electronics devices like Mp3 or Ipod units.

The rotary Jog dial on the unit is easy to operate with gloves for individual volume adjustments as well as turning the intercom function on or off while driving. I say this because I do not like riding with the intercom always on due to background wind noise experienced using an exposed boom mic. A simple tap of the Jog dial on either head set toggles the unit off or on and allows you to talk with your co rider. It also can be voiced activated, but we find it easier to simply touch the jog dial to initiate conversations.

This is only one of the good communications alternative for the Spyder if you do not require CB functionality. If you are looking for a good feature laden intercom system I would recommend staying away from the lower priced offerings out there. There is something to be said for getting what you pay for. How much you pay for a system is almost directly related to the quality of sound and connectivity features. Just my observations.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    for the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Headset and Intercom

This unit is great for driver to passenger communication. They also pair well to cell phones, GPS units and Bluetooth enabled electronics devices like Mp3 or Ipod units.

The rotary Jog dial on the unit is easy to operate with gloves for individual volume adjustments as well as turning the intercom function on or off while driving. I say this because I do not like riding with the intercom always on due to background wind noise experienced using an exposed boom mic. A simple tap of the Jog dial on either head set toggles the unit off or on and allows you to talk with your co rider. It also can be voiced activated, but we find it easier to simply touch the jog dial to initiate conversations.

This is only one of the good communications alternative for the Spyder if you do not require CB functionality. If you are looking for a good feature laden intercom system I would recommend staying away from the lower priced offerings out there. There is something to be said for getting what you pay for. How much you pay for a system is almost directly related to the quality of sound and connectivity features. Just my observations.
    but Sena also makes a bluetooth adapter so that you can also use a portable cb with your bluetooth headset. http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-adapt...o-gateway.html and you will love riding a spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did look at the bluetooth adapter and portable CB route for the Spyder, but at over three hundred dollars for the CB, Sena adapter and cords I decided I could live without the CB at this time. Funny how wanting something and needing something becomes clearer for me when I add up the costs.

Spyder Garage

I would add a couple things. If you are a GWRRA member, take their trike course if you can. It is a very good course.
    The other thing make sure you are getting the features on the Spyder you buy before buying it. It is very expensive to add things that the Tupperware needs to be be removed to install. I am in the process of a dealer installed com/CB package.
    The best thing to read all the good stuff, the good guys have posted on here
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You will love & it gets better with time.

Hawk Eye

Spyder Garage

Default It's not really a bad system but I'm not fond of the VOX

The intercom turns on by VOX. I find it OK but less than satisfactory.
    The problem I have is listening to tunes and using the intercom.
    If I set the VOX sensitive enough to operate with a normal voice, then it's too sensitive. Ambient wind noise will turn the system on and cut out the music at random times.
    If I set the VOX sensitivity so that the music doesn't cut out inadvertently, then you have to speak fairly loudly to turn on the intercom.
    I much prefer something like the Starcom system where the intercom and the music are both live at the same time. It's really easy to hear the intercom over the music.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The intercom turns on by VOX. I find it OK but less than satisfactory.
    The problem I have is listening to tunes and using the intercom.
    If I set the VOX sensitive enough to operate with a normal voice, then it's too sensitive. Ambient wind noise will turn the system on and cut out the music at random times.
    If I set the VOX sensitivity so that the music doesn't cut out inadvertently, then you have to speak fairly loudly to turn on the intercom.
    I much prefer something like the Starcom system where the intercom and the music are both live at the same time. It's really easy to hear the intercom over the music.
    ????? All my Starcom1 systems cut out the intercom upon VOX (or PTT). You can increase the VOX sensitivity so the music will stay on, but it does require you to talk louder to trigger it. The advantage to the Starcom1 is that it automatically compensates as background noise (wind noise) increases. With some helmets, in a strong or gusty wind, the music will cut out intermittently, however.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I just got the Cardo Scala Rider G4 system. So far, no problems with it. If you normally ride in a group, the system that everybody else has is what you want.

George

Spyder Garage

We are GoldWingers too. We have the BRP CB/intercom system because we still have the Wing and ride with our GWRRA chapter. We have new wired J&M headsets. Our Wing is a 1993 so we have to use different lower cords when riding the Wing. We are satisfied with all. You'll love the Spyder!

2014 Cognac RTS-SE6 & RT 622
    1993 Teal Gold Wing SE

Spyder Garage

Thanks,

Ed

We have a 2010 RTS with the factory CB, GPS, XM, AM/FM and the InterComm system. We use the wired intercom system and have been very happy. We can hear each other very well, music comes through loud and clear, CB works great (either of us can PTT) - we have no complaints. The VOX sensitivity we keep at about 3 bars and depending on whether we're at freeway speeds with a crosswind, we sometimes have to kick it up a notch or two (you get three clicks between bars that come up on the display).

We like the fact that there's nothing to have to keep charged... Am going to install the BRP phone bluetooth accessory (and will be getting my cluster updated to 2011 model to eliminate the "sticky" CB transmitter due to the 2010 LAN system). Will let you know how that turns out.

19,300 miles and rolling onward.. loving EVERY minute of it!!

Ryde on...

Sandy & Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    ????? All my Starcom1 systems cut out the intercom upon VOX (or PTT). You can increase the VOX sensitivity so the music will stay on, but it does require you to talk louder to trigger it. The advantage to the Starcom1 is that it automatically compensates as background noise (wind noise) increases. With some helmets, in a strong or gusty wind, the music will cut out intermittently, however.

The Starcom system I had (not the new digital one) blended the radio and the intercom together. Maybe I had the VOX set that way. The CB radio or Cellphone muted the music. The intercom blended in.
    Absolutely
    Maybe I had the settings in an atypical fashion.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dslim View Post
    Does your wife have her volume turned up? That was the problem on our system.
    Yes, she does, which is why we can't end up listening to music. It blasts out her ears. The problem, I think, is not the passenger connection, but the driver side not being loud enough. We've tried swapping helmets and get the same result (front can hear fine, back can't), so we know it's not the helmets. But we haven't much luck changing the settings to get me loud enough for her to hear me comfortably.

More Sci Fi & Fantasy Artwork by me: http://www.CynthiaRadthorne.com

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone who responded. Your responses were extremely helpful and we now have the info that we need to make an informed decision.

As soon as my Wing is sold, we plan to purchase the Spyder. We're still on the fence whether to go ahead with the matching trailer purchase or wait to later to purchase a trailer.

Ed

Spyder Garage

Default Can't help with the Intercom, but...

I'm just over in Harrisburg, off Linglestown Road about a mile in from the river (Deer Path Road). Give me a call with any questions... 580 6368
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Frank

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    I'm just over in Harrisburg, off Linglestown Road about a mile in from the river (Deer Path Road). Give me a call with any questions... 580 6368
    Thanks Frank, I appreciate the offer.

Ed