Spyder Garage

Default CHECK YOUR AIR FILTER!!!!!!!!!!

About four months ago, I had the unfortunate happening of having to go down an extremely dusty road for about a mile and half. It was like "talcum powder" dust and the bike and I were covered in a fine powder. I stopped at a car wash and washed both the spyder and myself off. Never thought anything of the incident. This past week, my spyder was missing out and it was also time for my 3000 checkup so I took it into the dealer for service. The air filter was totally messed up and the plugs were full of carbon and both had to be replaced but that was the least of my problems. Apparently, the fine "talcum powder" dust made it past the filter into the bike. I'm being told about scaring in the cylinder walls and even the crankshaft! I can't believe that the mile and a half ride could have caused such damage but its the only answer. My bike is still under the original warranty and I hope its covered!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ewwwww..... Please let us know how this one gets sorted out! Good luck and I hope that the warranty kicks in!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ewwwww..... Please let us know how this one gets sorted out! Good luck and I hope that the warranty kicks in!
    I will...I just hope that it is and is finished for Spyderfest!

Spyder Garage

My spyder failed the compression test! I saw the scaring in the cylinder walls.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by RanHag View Post
    My spyder failed the compression test! I saw the scaring in the cylinder walls.

Understood !!! Sorry about that. I hope they get in done in time for Spyderfest for you.

Spyder Garage

What the heck is with the powersports industry, all of them it seems are unable or unwilling to build a filter that filters? The ATV industry is plagued with this issue! For cryin out loud have the engineer "google" the word filter before he starts on the design. A dusty road................hmm imagine that, I would have never thought that maybe the Spyder would be subjected to a dusty road?

2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    What the heck is with the powersports industry, all of them it seems are unable or unwilling to build a filter that filters? The ATV industry is plagued with this issue! For cryin out loud have the engineer "google" the word filter before he starts on the design. A dusty road................hmm imagine that, I would have never thought that maybe the Spyder would be subjected to a dusty road?

NO SHIRLOCK!!!!

Spyder Garage

Aftermarket Foam filters that are oiled work the best. Otherwise K&N with outerwears...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GENIUS ENGINEERING

Buttsy, just look where they put the rear wheel air valve.....and that's you're answer........I have no degree so I moved mine to other side go figure,......Mike..................and I already changed to the "green" filter.

Spyder Garage

Did you happen to go down a Caliche dirt road? In S.W. New Mexico, they have alot of them. Nasty stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliche
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Buttsy, just look where they put the rear wheel air valve.....and that's you're answer
    Alright I just looked, who in the heck in their right mind possibly looked at this and thought that was the logical side to put it on............
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

It's not so much the filters, It's that darn air box. 2 halves that's held together with clips with no gasket!
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is pure genius. Sounds like if I get a Spyder I'll be making a gasket or using permatex for that ASAP.

Sorry to hear about the engine damage. I hope that they take care of you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    It's not so much the filters, It's that darn air box. 2 halves that's held together with clips with no gasket!

Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter Follow-up

Here's an update to my delema...when back to the dealership today to check on my Spyder. They had the motor taken further apart and the scoring on the camshaft was super evident. They showed me and I was able to touch several areas that fell after the filter to feel the "grit" from the super fine sand from the road that had gotten past the filter! It still baffles me but it is so true as to what happened.

ONCE AGAIN, I CAUTION EACH OF YOU TO CHECK YOUR AIR FILTERS ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU HAVE DRIVEN DOWN A REALLY DUSTY ROAD. Oh by the way, I checked my Highlander's filter after going down the same road several times (its at my deer lease). It wasn't exceptionally dirty. It only took one washing to clean it...its a K&N!

Spyder Garage

My 08 GS air box top and bottom have never fit together correctly, like it's warped slightly in the corners, I put some heavy grease into the cracks, electrical tape would probably work also. I also seat the filter itself in a small bead of blue RTV, it made me nervous, it didn't fit real tight. How did the camshaft get scored? That would mean the dirt had to make past the rings into the oil system, through the oil filter and up to the valve train. That seems like a lot of damage for such a short ride, I don't know. Hope they fix it for you.
    Last edited by capt.jim; 04-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

I just orderd one on line. and I noticed there is a vacuum line from the clutch pack to the throttle valves with a two way valve in between that vents to the out side air... "cant find it on the parts lest"... should there be a foam filter on the end of it or an other line go to the air box?
    Hot Wheels loves to ROCK!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    My 08 GS air box top and bottom have never fit together correctly, like it's warped slightly in the corners, I put some heavy grease into the cracks, electrical tape would probably work also. I also seat the filter itself in a small bead of blue RTV, it made me nervous, it didn't fit real tight. How did the camshaft get scored? That would mean the dirt had to make past the rings into the oil system, through the oil filter and up to the valve train. That seems like a lot of damage for such a short ride, I don't know. Hope they fix it for you.
    There is something else going on here. The camshafts should be the last things to score from intake dust. Even the Nikasil plated cylinders should resist scoring for a very long time...the pistons/rings would wear out first. As far as getting dust past the filter, it could be from a poor fitting filter/gasket, or it could be that the filter actually became so full of crud that it warped or pulled through. It could also be caused by use of an aftermarket filter. Some brands fit poorly, and the K&N oiled filters will pass a great deal of dust...especially if not cleaned and oiled regularly. At very least, under severe conditions, you should check the filter/airbox more often than every 3,000 miles as is specified in the owner's manual.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    There is something else going on here. The camshafts should be the last things to score from intake dust. Even the Nikasil plated cylinders should resist scoring for a very long time...the pistons/rings would wear out first. As far as getting dust past the filter, it could be from a poor fitting filter/gasket, or it could be that the filter actually became so full of crud that it warped or pulled through. It could also be caused by use of an aftermarket filter. Some brands fit poorly, and the K&N oiled filters will pass a great deal of dust...especially if not cleaned and oiled regularly. At very least, under severe conditions, you should check the filter/airbox more often than every 3,000 miles as is specified in the owner's manual.
    It was the original air filter! I looked at it and it didn't seem to be all that dirty and was in great shape. I really feel there is something else at work here! They still haven't told me what the plan is to get me back on the road! I wonder if all canam shops are as slow in decision making...

Spyder Garage

The factory filters are much more restrictive and would have clogged quicker with fine dust, creating a very rich fuel mixture, did it start running badly right after the dusty ride? I think you would have noticed it then. What is your gut feeling about the dealer?

Spyder Garage

The air filter was totally messed up and the plugs were full of carbon and both had to be replaced but that was the least of my problems.
    It was the original air filter! I looked at it and it didn't seem to be all that dirty and was in great shape. I really feel there is something else at work here! They still haven't told me what the plan is to get me back on the road! I wonder if all canam shops are as slow in decision making...
    I'm having a hard time understanding your situation. Your first post you said it was totally messed up but now you're saying it was in great shape. How can it be both?
    I'm not so sure it was the filter to start with, sounds like you lost some lubercation.

Spyder Garage

Default CHECK YOUR AIR FILTER..................UPDATE

Finally, got an answer on my air filter situaiton. Actually, it wasn't the air filter that was the culprit. The plenum (sp) that follows the airfilter is warped and doesn't seal as it should thus allowing the system to suck the air without going through the filter. Finally an answer!

Spyder Garage

Question air filter-- But really air valve

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Buttsy, just look where they put the rear wheel air valve.....and that's you're answer........I have no degree so I moved mine to other side go figure,......Mike..................and I already changed to the "green" filter.
    The story of a lousy air filter kinda sux, (Which indicates the manufactures might have 'a built in premature obsolesces' in there design $$$ of there machines)
    BUT the real question I have with your story is with regard to the rear tire valve.
    I have also noticed the rear tire valve stem is positioned in sort of like 'you can't can't there from here' Did I understand correctly, you moved your valve to the other side?
    Ron

Spyder Garage

Default Now that makes sense.

Finally, got an answer on my air filter situaiton. Actually, it wasn't the air filter that was the culprit. The plenum (sp) that follows the airfilter is warped and doesn't seal as it should thus allowing the system to suck the air without going through the filter. Finally an answer!
    Thanks for the post.....cause many of us from Texas, Arizona, and the California desert deal with blowing sand that ranges from ultra fine silt, to boulder size sand. In fact we just had two days of the BLOW!!

Guess it's time to take a look at the air box and associated hardware, because a properly maintained filter should have and would have worked in the situation you described.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Finally got my red devil back today! I had no idea how much power I had lost with the plenum was messed up allowing all kinds of trash to get in past the air filter. I now start the new break-in for 600 miles. Feels good to be riding again!
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.