Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

So if you were to adjust your belt without a reference to the original adjustment, what tools do you need to measure tension?

From reading this, the tool Lemont used is assuming the belt tension was correct to begin with?

I am taking mine in for the 600 mile service and my belt is "slightly" up against the flange so I know it needs to be adjusted and I plan to point that out to the dealer.

Thanks,
    Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    So if you were to adjust your belt without a reference to the original adjustment, what tools do you need to measure tension?

From reading this, the tool Lemont used is assuming the belt tension was correct to begin with?

I am taking mine in for the 600 mile service and my belt is "slightly" up against the flange so I know it needs to be adjusted and I plan to point that out to the dealer.

Thanks,
    Bob
    You can measure your belt tension with the Klicket tool, 236 lbs for the 2013, 101 lbs for 2012 on down. What I did was buy the correct Klicket tool (in my case 100 to 300 lb range) to check belt tension when I picked up my new 2013 at the dealership....By the way, the belt checked out at 200 lbs with rear wheel on ground which is on the low side but I have no vibration issues so I left it that way.

Spyder Garage

Default I LISTENED LAMONT !

I replaced my rear tire an brakes adj. belt like you said (rotated tire by hand) everything turned out great no problems with codes or limp mode. Thanks for the info. (I will listen from now on) PETE
    my wife and I on our 2011 spyder-rt-L'IL Red

Spyder Garage

I picked up the Kirkit and fir the life of me cant figure out how to use it. I have read the instructions that can with it. But my question, on the Kirkit in the center where the "blue" part is are you suppose to pull up on it to set it before you apply pressure to the belt? And does the Kirkit reset automatically or do I need to do something manually to it to take another reading?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love this post, and thank you so much. Happy , happy , happy to all.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    I'm looking to buy one of these hitches used if anybody's got one they want to part with.
    good luck ive been looking for 2 years

Spyder Garage

Default RT Hitch removal and belt adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I picked up the Kirkit and fir the life of me cant figure out how to use it. I have read the instructions that can with it. But my question, on the Kirkit in the center where the "blue" part is are you suppose to pull up on it to set it before you apply pressure to the belt? And does the Kirkit reset automatically or do I need to do something manually to it to take another reading?

The "blue" part is how the Kirkit measures the belt resistance.

Step 1. Make sure the "blue" is flush with the Kirkit or "pushed down"
    Step 2. Find the center of the belt between the front sprocket and the rear sprocket.
    Step 3. Place the Kirkit centered on the belt and push smoothly down until you hear a "click"
    Step 4. Take the reading
    Step 5. For an accurate reading - repeat the above after rotating the belt

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike,
    So just to be sure. I dont have to do anything prior to the Kirkit? Just push down evenly till I get the "click"?

Spyder Garage

The Kirkit works just like a torque wrench.....except you do not set it first. The "click" your hear will be the belts tension - kinda automatic.

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderFun View Post
    The Kirkit works just like a torque wrench.....except you do not set it first. The "click" your hear will be the belts tension - kinda automatic.

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>
    Im tracking now, thanks!

Spyder Garage

Glad to help!

-Mike
    <Sent using Tapatalk>

Spyder Garage

HEllo

I have a 2010 RT-S. Ive read all the threads and am a bit confused. What is the belt tension range for my Spyder. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    HEllo

I have a 2010 RT-S. Ive read all the threads and am a bit confused. What is the belt tension range for my Spyder. Thanks
    My 2010 RT S runs about 180 lbs. with the krikit. that is where it has been since new. Anything over 200 seems too tight to me and could cause bearing problems.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

HEllo

Can I just add.... The belt tension spec is SOOOOOO liberal that it's not rocket science. Scotty can jump in here but the current spec has a 30% variability range! It surprises me that with this HUGE range you even need a sonic gauge! It's like WTF?????

This is my honest opinion now that I have adjusted my belt AND watched many videos and other peoples posts on the "value" they read using the Kirkit gauge! Even from Lamont using the Kirkit gauge!

IT"S NOT FREAKIN THAT CRITICAL!

I did what everyone said. I went and got my 600 mile service and they DID adjust my belt. I know that because my tracking on the rear pulley was off and after service it was spot on! Then, that same day, I got a Kirkit and read the belt tension. It turned out to be EXACTLY like Lamont's video and others that used the Kirkit doing the same as I.

What did this tell me to be honest... IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! It's not a VOOODOOO adjustment! And I am sorry... You don't need a expensive sonic gauge either! Why BRP does this is beyond me. Maybe they are trying to take into account that not all replacement belts are the same or something?

NOTE: If I had to replace my belt ONLY THEN would I consider the sonic adjustment! Even then I might just freakin say... screw it... I will do it myself.

Your mileage may vary but for me, I wont go to a dealer and spend $100 for a simple belt adjustment. I would be willing to bet right now that a few years from now, I will report back here that I have had NO issues doing this adjustment myself.

My .00000002 cents!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 04-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Curious was checking mine and just tightened it 90' on each side keeps creeping to the outside so I tried tightening left keeps creeping left. How do you get it aligned from scratch if neither side is like it left dealer? Book says same as Lamont if want it right tighten left vice versa can't get it to quit creeping left.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Ran it after fiddling with it several hours between Sunday night chores got it close test drove it was a tad on the inside so I jacked it back up adjusted it little more. Not rocket science like its been said but helps to get it close enough for govt work!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Hello I have a 2010 RT-S. Ive read all the threads and am a bit confused. What is the belt tension range for my Spyder. Thanks
    Keep in mind:
    1st) its just a drive belt for a motorcycle...nothing more than that.
    2nd) the "sonic" adjustment can be converted to an applied "pounds" of force.
    3rd) BRP has "over complicated" this procedure by "Rube Goldberg"(ing) it.

Spyder Garage

Default belt tension

Why is the belt tension so different between the 2012 and 2013?

Spyder Garage

I see that no one has replied to this question. As I hope to be buying a left over 2013 soon I too would like to know the answer to this question.
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

so... let me try to get this straight.. lamont says 150 to 200 lbs. using a krikit.. that sounds right.. then service bulletin #2010-6 says 450 plus or minus 150 newtons, which means 67.4 lbs to 134.9 lbs... that just sounds awfully low... but the threat of doing harm, with too much tension, has me worried..... lamont, are you aware of that service bulletin 2010-6 ? .. those math conversions have my little brain spinning....

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Tension Math - Simplified

Quote Originally Posted by chuckk View Post
    .. those math conversions have my little brain spinning....
    If BRP uses the "newton" as a way of measuring force, then simply multiply the *NEWTONS REQUIRED by 0.224808943 which is ratio of 1-newton to 1-pound.

Also, 0.2 is 2/10 which is reduced to 1/5 (i.e. 0.25 is 1/4). A "ball park" estimate, if you have no calculator, is to take the newtons required and divide by 5 (you will be "light" but you will have an idea of what it should be). So a "ball park" rough estimate of 300 - 600 Newton requirement is about 60 - 120 pounds. AND you will not be applying "excessive tension" to the belt. This is how other owners come up with their tension numbers.

Google: http://www.convertunits.com/from/Newtons/to/pounds

* = BRP can change this requirement at any time but the math remains constant.

Hope This Helps Clear Things Up!

Spyder Garage

nice tutorial u got there buddy

Spyder Garage

I'm getting a aggravating vibration when going up hill in 6th gear (bordering on lugging the engine at 3800 rpm) which I believe is the belt.

Is a vibrating belt caused by too high a tension, or too low. Recently, my dealership replaced the back tire with stock, so the belt was off, inspected, aligned, and put back. I notice the belt is against the pully ridge (back?) with very little space showing. They also claim they are up to date on tension and used the correct spec.

any comment ???
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT TENSION

......I have always had the tension on My 14 RT well below spec ( even the lowered one ) and have NO vibration.............I don't have any add-on tension devices either ........Mike

Spyder Garage

With all this said i see a need for a vendor service @ spyderfest. Much like the alignments, yall agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack