Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I would loosen th axle nut
    Jack the Spyder up
    Back the adjusting bolts 1/4 turn at a time
    Rotate the tire forward
    Lower the Spyder back on the ground to put tension on the belt
    Raise it back up and check tension
    Repete till you have it where you like it
    The adjusting screws set the tire & sprocket in a left or right direction plus set the belt tension. Adjusting the right screw clockwise in (pushing the right side of the tire/sprocket to the rear) to move the belt away from the rear flange. Tell me how this would be different than adjusting the left screw counter clockwise? It has to be a balance to get the tire running straight with the desired belt tension & locating the belt on the rear pulley to the desired distance from the flange. I can't imagine how turning either screw would not effect either the tension or alignment, provided everything is straight---it's a both screw adjustment--unless the adjustment is minor & doesn't effect tension or alignment out of desired setting. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    These are questions that come up all the time so I decided that since I needed to make some adjustments on my belt I would go ahead and take some pics and add captions to answer some of the questions that have been posted here many times before. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words so I hope this will cut down on my typing.

You start by removing the through bolt that holds the hitch on.

This bolt should slide right out after the nut is removed from the right side.

Now you're ready to remove the hitch after the bolt is removed.

The hitch is going to be on there pretty tight so grab the ball and move it side to side till it breaks loose. Then pull it straight back being careful of the brake line and sensor wire on the right side.

This shouldn't take much more than 5 min. to get the hitch off. Took me a little longer as you can tell by the time stamp.

The last time my dealer did a tire change and belt tension check I got out my Krikit and marked it where he had it set with the sonic gauge. This has worked well for me for many years and you can pick these up for about $20 bucks.

When the Spyder is on the ground go ahead and loosen the axle nut. When you have the Spyder in the air you can start making adjustments. As you can see from the picture I have the belt just off of the sprocket flange about 1-2mm. This can be a fight some times and you're better off making small adjustments to start with as it doesn't take much to move the belt.

After I get the belt where I like it I check the tension while it's on the ground it should be a little more when it's on the ground because the swingarm is now more inline with the counter sprocket.

I don't know how many times I've been asked about removing the hitch bolt from folks that thought it was the axle. This picture is just to show you that the axle is under the hitch and removing the hitch bolt has no effect on the belt tension.
    I know this is an old post but it had the pics I need to remove my hitch. I have a question about the hitch. There are 2 bolts on each side of the hitch. I assumed they are there to remove the back portion of the hitch so you don't have to remove the the axle bolt and entire hitch. I tried to remove the rear section Saturday. When I got to the front bolt on the right side I found the disc brake is in the way. The bolt is too long to pull out because of the brake. Your pictures show the bolts mounted the same way as mine (the bolt head is on the inside of the hitch, the nut of the outside of the hitch.) This makes removing the back part of the hitch impossible. Is the rear section made to come off as opposed to removing the entire hitch. I guess I can just flip the bolt around. Am I missing something here?
    Don
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2021 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 RTSS Limited, red/white, Lamonster NVB highway bars, Ultimate midrider seat with backrest, Show Chrome passenger armrests .................................................. .....

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

I am about to do the drive belt alignment and tension adjustments for the first time (for me). My Krikit is in today's mail (Thank you, BajaRon). This post has excellent information but after reading it all I am still a little confused. The TSB has the belt tension lowered to 67-135 ft/lbs. But I also read other numbers. And, I'm not even sure the TSB is applicable to the RTL. My belt is riding almost exactly in the middle of the rear sprocket and I believe it should be closer to the inner sprocket flange. So, what is the correct tension for the belt on a 2014 RTL? And am I correct that the belt should ride about a credit cards thickness away from the inner flange on the rear sprocket.

Edit for more info... I just got my Krikit and measured the belt tension at 225#s I took the measurements on the bottom of the belt as it was easier to get to without taking body panels off. (I assume the tension is the same on the bottom as it is on top....?)
    Last edited by canamjhb; 11-16-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Dwade,yes you are missing something. You are NOT removing the axle bolt. You are removing the the thru bolt that holds the hitch on. This goes thru the axle and can be removed without disturbing the axle bolt,belt tension or belt alignment. Once you remove this bolt the hitch slides off,no other bolts need to be removed to remove the hitch. Why would you want to remove 4 bolts when you can remove 1 bolt to take off the hitch?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

very nice , my RT i just got, 2011 has a tow hitch on it , and I have looked at it , thinking about removing it . so glad I saw this . you folk's sure post things that Spyder people either Need to know ......or most like are gonna need to know..... Thanks so much.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    very nice , my RT i just got, 2011 has a tow hitch on it , and I have looked at it , thinking about removing it . so glad I saw this . you folk's sure post things that Spyder people either Need to know ......or most like are gonna need to know..... Thanks so much.
    I won't repeat what was said in post # 54 above, ... So read it ... But it is absolutely necessary to do, because this will KEEP the BELT where it was before you started this task ..... Mike