Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 90* zerk and 90* adapter

Either would accomplish same goal, right?
    I mean either I need 90* zerk on tight grease points on a-arm and use straight fitting on them OR a 90* adapter fitting on grease gun and use that on straight, existing zerk would work??? I don't need both, right?
    Thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

No . Pretty sure you need the 90 degree Zerks on the A arms because there isn't enough clearance to put the 90 Zerk on the grease gun and then try to put that on the stock Zerk . I only swapped 2 of the 8 Zerks to 90s. The 2 on the top closes to the motor. I also have an 18" hose extension on my grease gun .I also found it helpful to use a 90 adaptor on my grease gun as well .
    Last edited by fastfraser; 04-02-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Happy Owner

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    No . Pretty sure you need the 90 degree Zerks on the A arms because there isn't enough clearance to put the 90 Zerk on the grease gun and then try to put that on the stock Zerk . I only swapped 2 of the 8 Zerks to 90s. The 2 on the top closes to the motor. I also have an 18" hose extension on my grease gun .I also found it helpful to use a 90 adaptor on my grease gun as well .

This is what I did a few weeks back. The 90 deg fitting sounds logical but for the same reason BRP does not use them it is hard to get them to line up where you need them. I use an 18" extension with the streight fitting and just come in from the top. I did get two 90 deg fittings to fit the top front fittings. There was one grease fitting that the 90 grease fitting would not fit. Be sure to use the BRP grease and squeeze hard to get it started.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If there is not enough clearance for adapter so you install 90* zerks than wouldn't you be able use straight fitting on them?

Spyder Garage

The two stock Zerks that you swap-out for 90s you can in fact use the normal fitting on your grease gun. You will find it so much easier to add the 90 to the end of your grease gun as well because there is very limited access for some of the other 6. You might be able to get buy without but for a few bucks more you will save yourself a lot of grief .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The two stock Zerks that you swap-out for 90s you can in fact use the normal fitting on your grease gun. You will find it so much easier to add the 90 to the end of your grease gun as well because there is very limited access for some of the other 6. You might be able to get buy without but for a few bucks more you will save yourself a lot of grief .
    I've been to several shops already but no luck on 90* adapter...
    Napa has 90* zerks so I was gonna replace all the not so easy to get to zerks with 90*

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    Napa has 90* zerks so I was gonna replace all the not so easy to get to zerks with 90*
    Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? That's where I got mine. Also available online. The trouble with the 90 degree zerks is indexing. They don't always tighten down to point in the right direction. They do make indexing washers to shim them out, like they do for flat-seat sparkplugs...but if you think the 90 degree fitting was hard to find, try looking for the indexing washers. You could take small stainless steel washers and sand them to thickness, but it would be trial-and-error, and would take a long, long time. Each one would be different.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Lowes also carries the 90° 6mm zerks and you can get the 90° adapter here.

Note on the 90° adapter: They don't lock onto the zerk fitting like a straight adapter. You have to slide it in place over the fitting and then apply pressure to the top of the adapter to inject the grease. Takes a little effort and technique. If you don't do it right grease will squirt out all over the place. Be sure to have a few quarters for the swear jar handy.
    Last edited by pro10is; 04-02-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. Picked up a 90* adapter from tractor supply for 6 bucks and I see how this could get messy.
    Do holes align automatically when it's silded all the way in or do you have feel for it while putting enough pressure on it so grease doesn't squeeze out?

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. Picked up a 90* adapter from tractor supply for 6 bucks and I see how this could get messy.
    Do holes align automatically when it's silded all the way in or do you have feel for it while putting enough pressure on it so grease doesn't squeeze out?
    Just slide it on the fitting until it bottoms out. You may have to grind the end round a bit to get it to fit well into the opening in the A-arm. If grease spews out and you can't feel much back pressure, it probably couldn't bottom out. It also helps to have a good long grease hose on the gun, BTW.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. Gun came with 12" hose, hopefully that's long enough.

Spyder Garage

Default Zerk's

you may have a lot more luck with 45 degree fittings and will not need extra adapters. make sure to get 6mm fittings not 1/4 ". I Got mine from the local 'car-quest ',auto zone did not have them.

Spyder Garage

I'm in the process of putting my 90 degree zirc fittings on, did anyone have an issue with the top fitting closest to the motor not facing the right way? Mines currently facing towards the engine when tightened down...
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Scotty posted about washers/spacers to put under the Zerk .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I swapped that one out for another 90, and it was able to point out the right way.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.