Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Big decision - please help!

I've been dreaming of getting a Spyder since they came out, but just couldn't afford one. I've saved up for a few years, and I've finally gotten close.
    I found a 2008 silver SM5 for 11k. I found it on craigstlist and cycletrader, and I've spoken with the owner.
    It has just over 4k miles, seems to be in great shape, has aftermarket rims, a backrest and 2nd windshield.
    Supposedly all the updates have been done and it was serviced regularly.

A couple concerns.
    It's 4 hours away....I'd have to trailer it home
    It's a 2008....should that be a concern?
    It seems to be underpriced.....

Please offer up ANY thoughts. I'm really nervous about making a big purchase like this (it's big for me...with a family and other responsibilities, 11k is a lot)

Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default Bought my 2008 used...

...two summers ago. It is an RS silver and black. It had just under 1,200 miles on it and I paid $14,000 for it. I don't think the one you are lookong to buy is underpriced. I have had NO regrets with mine. I bought it from a dealer that is about 90 minutes away from my house and purchased a service contract. So far, I have had NO problems. I would ask to see the maintenance records; if the current owner isn't upfront about showing those to you, that may be a cause for concern. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michigal View Post
    ...two summers ago. It is an RS silver and black. It had just under 1,200 miles on it and I paid $14,000 for it. I don't think the one you are lookong to buy is underpriced. I have had NO regrets with mine. I bought it from a dealer that is about 90 minutes away from my house and purchased a service contract. So far, I have had NO problems. I would ask to see the maintenance records; if the current owner isn't upfront about showing those to you, that may be a cause for concern. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the wonderful world of Spyders.
    Thanks for the post!! I'm really nervous about the whole thing, but hat's good to hear. This is a private deal, I'd feel better if it was from a dealer, but then I'd probably pay more too. I will ask to see the paperwork before I make the drive out. The seller has been good about sending pics, and it looks good. (although it might look better if I get a phantom kit.....)

Thanks again!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You may want to ask the buyer to meet you at a dealer to have them "check" it out. If all is well, buy it. If the seller is reluctant to do this you may want to reconsider this one. The price seems fine to me.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I purchased my first spyder (Oct 2010) from a private owner who listed his bike on Craig's List. All he asked for price-wise was to pick up the cost of what he owed on it. The value according to NADA and Kelley blue book was well over his asking price. It was what got me started on this great adventure.

Because I didn't have much experience with any motorcycles at all, I did take a friend who did have that experience. He checked it out for me and told me that it was a fair price.

Not all people on Craig's List are bad. I would at least go look at it and see what it has.

Good luck on your possible purchase. And more importantly, see you soon in the Spyder World.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    You may want to ask the buyer to meet you at a dealer to have them "check" it out. If all is well, buy it. If the seller is reluctant to do this you may want to reconsider this one. The price seems fine to me.
    That doesn't sound like a bad idea, thanks! Would a dealer just do that though?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would think a "good" dealer would. If you have to pay a few bucks it would still be worthwhile "insure" and create peace of mind for you. This is what I did since I bought a used one. The dealer drove it, checked the oil, took a few panels off and ran something on the computer to check for any issues and updates. All was well so I bought. No charge to me from the dealer. The buyer was happy to do it as well. That was two years ago and all is well. Even if they charge you a half hour of service labor it would be around 40$. Well worth it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JediOsborn View Post
    I've been dreaming of getting a Spyder since they came out, but just couldn't afford one. I've saved up for a few years, and I've finally gotten close.
    I found a 2008 silver SM5 for 11k. I found it on craigstlist and cycletrader, and I've spoken with the owner.
    It has just over 4k miles, seems to be in great shape, has aftermarket rims, a backrest and 2nd windshield.

A couple concerns.

Please offer up ANY thoughts. I'm really nervous about making a big purchase like this (it's big for me...with a family and other responsibilities, 11k is a lot)

Thank you.
    It's a 2008, the first year that they were sold. Ask for the service records, are all the updates installed, you want the stock parts that were taken off, is the title clear of leans. Offer 10,000 for it. take someone with you to watch back. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    It's a 2008, the first year that they were sold. Ask for the service records, are all the updates installed, you want the stock parts that were taken off, is the title clear of leans. Offer 10,000 for it. take someone with you to watch back. That's IMHO.

Mike
    I'm feeling you on that one

Spyder Garage

I'm still riding my 2008 Silver. While they did have more issues, BRP has pretty much taken care of them. I'd be sure the DPS has been swapped out for the new version.

I would not be any more concerned about a 2008 than a newer Spyder. It just depends on how it has been treated. I'd say your bitten and it's only a matter of time. But keep a cool head and always go into a deal like this prepared to walk away. Don't buy it in your head before you've had a chance to check it out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CHECKING FOR SERVICE RECORDS

Someone here probably knows this better than I do but......my understanding is with the V.I.N. # of the spyder you can learn exactly what has and has not been serviced on that particular spyder....can anyone elaborate / explain this better ??????....Mike......good luck......Welcome you are in the right place

arntufun

A couple concerns.

Thank you.

Food for thought........ Im not sure where you are in upstate NY, but If the Spyder is close to me, I'd be happy to check it out for you. What city are you and the Spyder in ???

I'm sure anyone in our riding group would do the same. We have riders from all over the state. Once you get your Spyder, be sure to join our riding group.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michigal View Post
    Bought my 2008 GS Feb 2011 with 1,530 mi on it for 15K which included a 5 yr ex warranty
    it also had fog light kit, Backrest and Phantom Black Wheels which were options I would have bought anyway. Good Luck in your SpyderQuest.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 2008 RS from dealer (demo) with 1400 miles on it in October 2008 and other than the oil sensor unit going bad and uneven front tire wear have not had any issues with over 19000 miles.Oops,I lied.Mine came with the Hindle exhaust and in hot weather and longer trips it was running too lean,exhaust popping and backfire.So I added the Juicebox pro,Evo Race air filter and did the canisterectomy.All is good now.Mine has never gone into limp mode or had problems with the DPS as some others have had.I would have alot more miles on mine but I still have to work.

The only issue I see with this Spyder you are looking at is it doesn't have many miles on it.The only people I know who ride this little are some of my Harley friends who clean them more than they ride!Most of us Spyder owners can't stay off of it.It is just tooooo much fun.
    Good luck with your purchase.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Having the Spyder checked out is a great idea...
    Good Luck, and I hope that this all works out for you...
    Whereabouts "upstate" are you??
    Arntu's got the Capital District covered, and I'm in the Mid-Hudson region...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm near Lebanon Valley speedway on the Ny Mass border. Id be happy to check it out for ya when I get back from Florida!!

Oh ya.......

Spyder Garage

Default on mt 2nd 2008 RS

I bought 2008 #610 sight unseen new in 2007. I put 45,000 miles on it. Never failed to start, never threw a code, never went into limp mode.

I just bought 2008 #104 I am expecting to have good luck with it also.

Any first run vehicle can have problems. Make certain ALL of the updates have been done especially the power steering. Taking it to a dealer is a really good idea. I am pretty sure they log a lot of engine info in the BUDS system like average and peak rpms. Just the serial number should get you whether the updates ahev been done with a phone call.

Good luck

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks so much everyone! I've been reading here for years, and I knew it would be the right place to go for helpful advice.

It sounds like I don't have much to worry about with the 08's. But just to summarize....
    I should make sure there are no liens and see if the DPS (power steering) update has been done.

Thanks for all the offers to take a look at it. The trouble is, I'm in upstate NY (West Winfield to be exact, around Utica/New Hartford) and the Spyder is on Long Island.

I spoke with the seller yesterday, apparently he just buys things to turn them around and sell them, so he hasn't ridden it. He bought it from an older guy (70's I think) who just didn't ride it much. It was the only thing he could ride, but he just didn't do it much. A bit close to the "little old lady who only drove it on Sunday" story, but it could be legit, right?

I want to be as sure as I can before my buddy and I take the day off work, and trailer all the way down there to look.

Thanks again for all the advice and good luck wishes...I'm really hoping to be a member by this time next week!!!

If you have any more thoughts or advice, I'm all ears!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well if you're that close to Arntufun... Don't ride behind him, because he's trained his to throw mud...
    I watched snowmobiles drag there one July...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Is this the Spyder your talking about ???? That's a good deal if it is.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/mcy/2932322677.html

Don't exchange an $ before you see it, and make sure it has a clear title in hand. If you get it let me know and we can hook up for a ride. BTW>>>>> You have a really good dealer you can use in Utica.
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-01-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much everyone! I've been reading here for years, and I knew it would be the right place to go for helpful advice.

It sounds like I don't have much to worry about with the 08's. But just to summarize....
    I should make sure there are no liens and see if the DPS (power steering) update has been done.

Thanks for all the offers to take a look at it. The trouble is, I'm in upstate NY (West Winfield to be exact, around Utica/New Hartford) and the Spyder is on Long Island.

I spoke with the seller yesterday, apparently he just buys things to turn them around and sell them, so he hasn't ridden it. He bought it from an older guy (70's I think) who just didn't ride it much. It was the only thing he could ride, but he just didn't do it much. A bit close to the "little old lady who only drove it on Sunday" story, but it could be legit, right?

I want to be as sure as I can before my buddy and I take the day off work, and trailer all the way down there to look.

Thanks again for all the advice and good luck wishes...I'm really hoping to be a member by this time next week!!!

If you have any more thoughts or advice, I'm all ears!!
    Before you go- Have him give you the VIN # and call 888-272-9222 and ask what updates have been done and what needs to be done? Best to Meet at a dealer and pay him a hours labor to REALLY look it over!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I used to have a snowmobile, but the winters have been pretty weak up here, so I sold it to pay for my garage. Having a young family and responsibilities is tough!
    I'm hoping the Spyder will fill that riding need!!!

YES! That's the one!!!! It seems like a good deal, that's for sure....but I guess I'm naturally wary. It would be so much easier if it was closer!
    DDS is the Spyder dealer here, I'm sure they would go through it for me, if it wasn't so far away!

What is that phone number? I'll have to text the guy and get the VIN and try it out....thanks!!

arntufun

I used to have a snowmobile, but the winters have been pretty weak up here, so I sold it to pay for my garage. Having a young family and responsibilities is tough!
    I'm hoping the Spyder will fill that riding need!!!

YES! That's the one!!!! It seems like a good deal, that's for sure....but I guess I'm naturally wary. It would be so much easier if it was closer!
    DDS is the Spyder dealer here, I'm sure they would go through it for me, if it wasn't so far away!

What is that phone number? I'll have to text the guy and get the VIN and try it out....thanks!!

Even Tug Hill didn't get good snow this year.

There is a guy selling one about 10 minutes from my house and the lowest he will take is 12k. It has 13k miles on it but a ton more add on's. It's also silver. I will check it out with you if you want.

Here is his ad.
    http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/2928116261.html
    Last edited by arntufun; 04-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Even Tug Hill didn't get good snow this year.

There is a guy selling one about 10 minutes from my house and the lowest he will take is 12k. It has 13k miles on it but a ton more add on's. It's also silver. I will check it out with you if you want.

Here is his ad.
    http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/2928116261.html

You're right, its a sad time for snowmobiles! And they're just getting more and more expensive too!!

Thanks for the offer.... I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible, even though that's a good price for what he's got. I didn't even plan on getting one until next year when I could save up more and be in the 13k range...but I found this one for 11-ish so I thought I'd try.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A couple concerns.

Thank you.
    There is one in the for sale forum here with 333 miles and some ass for 12,500