Spyder Garage

Default RS front sprocket oily residue- should I be concerned?

So I had my front tupperware off yesterday afternoon to install my new shocks (woohoo!). When I was going to torx in the left side panel just under the handlebar, I peeked in to look at my engine.

Pardon me for being such a novice when it comes to this stuff, but the tube that looked like it came from the oil reservoir to just above the front sprocket-- right above the sprocket where it connected to the engine I saw what looked like fresh grease. I dabbed my finger against it and found it to be about half-oily and half-gritty, almost mud-like. There really was only a dab or two of it, maybe pea-sized, but it stood out against the rest of the only-somewhat greasy engine. The tube looked in good shape and firmly connected, so I don't think that's loose.

Any idea what this is? Normal kind of ejecta, or something I should be concerned about? I park on a blacktop driveway so I wouldn't notice any minor oil leaks anyway, but even so, I don't recall ever seeing any before.

Thanks for any help...
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everybody have that issue, normal for a hose without clamp.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Make sure it didn't leak out off your air box and keep an eye on it . For piece of mind I changed BRP clamps with worm clamps of equal size. If you do your own oil changes at the bottom of the oil reservoir that hose is connected to the oil strainer and you should check and clean the strainer at least every other oil change and that's a good time to change that clamp and O ring.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I haven't bothered checking the airbox since I got the bike, I'll take a gander this weekend. Like I said, it was such a small amount I'm not worried about it, just as long as I don't get an "arterial spray of oil" all over the innards of the bike, I'm golden
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is no clamp or O ring on that hose.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Thanks, I haven't bothered checking the airbox since I got the bike, I'll take a gander this weekend. Like I said, it was such a small amount I'm not worried about it, just as long as I don't get an "arterial spray of oil" all over the innards of the bike, I'm golden
    The air box if it was dripping it would be from the right side, That little bit of grit is normal.
    If you own a car pop the hood and look at the pulleys you'll see the same grit.