Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Backing Up w/ RT 622

So I went out to an empty parking lot to practice backing up with the trailer on . . . slowly I went backwards, using the side mirrors and the trailer goes left. I straighten up, try again and same results . . . . over and over again.

With all the lots going to be full at Spyderfest I really need to figure this out before I get down there. We can't leave the trailer at the motel since it carries my wife's mobility scooter.

Anyone have the trick/secret to backing this thing up at least enough to get out of a parking spot? Any and all help appreciated . . .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I disconnect it and turn it around!

Spyder Garage

The lots are going to be full at SpyderFest .

I agree the RT622 is a bear to reverse with. I try and parallel park whenever I can or drive into the parking spot. Then when I backout I Drive away the opposite direction to the way the RT trailer jackknifed.
    Happy Owner

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Keep practicing...and go slow! Most of us have trouble, and avoid pull-in parking when we can. I turn around instead of using the mirrors, when possible. I have found it easier to back into the parking place when possible. The secret to this, and backing any trailer, is to correct as soon as possible, and stop and pull ahead the first second things start to go bad. You'll get the hang of it, I promise.

Spyder Garage

I look back when I backup. Do it everyday with very little problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey Papa

Backing up these little trailers is a bit of a pain in the you know what. I have pulled a lot of trailers over the last 25 years from 53 foot right down to my little Aluma bike trailer and the smaller they are the easier it is to jack knife them. The trick is very slow speed with a little trailer and very slight adjustments to the steering. If you want the trailer to go left you will have to turn right slightly and if you want to turn left than adjust accordingly. It does take practice but more importantly just be patient, very slight turns in the handle bars and slow speed. Watch the mirrors and make sure they are adjusted properly this will help as well. Good luck and practice lots hope this helps again very slow speed and slight adjutments

Spyder Garage

I still have some trouble at times backing up the trailer. A small steering correction makes a big change in the direction of the trailer. Take it slow and try not to become frustrated(I know,I know, that is what I tell myself). Short trailers are hard to back up, the longer the trailer the easier it is to back up.

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

Default Backing Up w/ RT 622

It just like how you can get to Carnegie Hall in NYC.
    Practice, practice, practice.
    Just go slow, you'll get the hang of it..... Good Luck...

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

The easy way to do back the trailer in, is aim for a parking spot. Back up slowly till the trailer starts wandering. Have your Dearly Beloved (Hubby) heft the trailer back into the middle of the parking spot, repeat the above until parked to your satisfaction.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps this could be a Spyderfest "event". Reverse race with trailers!!! My money is on Lamont.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I now am able to backup like I know what I'm doing! I used to drive around looking for pull through spaces and then I saw a friend pull into parking places with his trailer. I said Butch you're pretty brave doing that and he told me that it is much easier to back out of a place then it is to back into one. So I gave it a try and by God he's right. I find the trick to keeping it straight is to use the mirrors and to make slight movements left and right. Also be sure that you are in a straight line with the trailer before you begin to back up or you'll get screwed up.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, it sure won't be me. Thanks to everyone's suggestion. I'll be back in the parking lot practicing this week.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up The above advice & suggestions are all very good, especially practice & patience

Back in 2010, we had our black RT-S & we also had the matching RT-622 Trailer & that thing handled like a dream & if BRP made a camper option for it, I wouldn't have gotten rid of it when we traded, but we needed a camper & couldn't afford both sometimes reality sucks so we now have our Moto-Mate camper & even tho it doesn't handle as well as the RT-622 it is much easier to back in & park, I think, like so many others have stated, cause its a little longer than the BRP trailer. I personally didn't realize this until we made a 450 mile road-trip a couple months back to ThreeFeets house to deliver her newly addopted cat She had a 3 or 4 car garage with one open bay for us to back into & she commented that she was impressed with how well I was able to back it right in. She said there was no way she could do that well with her RT-622 & I was kind of surprised, but she mentioned the length probably made our camper a little easier, as it is 11' in overall length including the tongue.

As you've read, there's no right or wrong way to learn this, to each their own & you have to find what works BEST for you. Personally, I look back as opposed to using my mirrors. One thing that comes to mind, was something I learned in my MSF class, about when taking a corner on a 2wheeler, don't watch where you are, but more of watch where your going. Of course, backing up with a trailer, you have to do both, but I found when I stuggle, its cause I'm usually paying attention to where the trailer IS more so than where I want it to go, if that makes any sense. Patience & practice, find what works for you & Good Luck. Teddy & I hope to meet ya at SpyderFest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I'm so glad to read all of these posts. Not so much for the 'how-to' but SO MUCH for the fact that I'm not alone!!! Facts are that a lot of us will be vying for all the PTP (pull through parking) spots . I have backed many a u-haul trailer, but for some reason, the 622 is harder. A lot harder. Likely it has something to do with the length of the tongue and the single point pivot (rear tire). Knowing that and still getting it wrong so many times..... Aaaaarrrrgh!!

So if you see me lifting the trailer to move it in line..... Now you know

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

With a trailer, it can be kind of tricky. Use just a small amount of steering. A lot of problems are simply due to either the person steering in the wrong direction or over steering or both. Sometimes it helps if you simply look over your shoulder and not use the mirrors.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRAILER BACKING

Doing it with the spyder is a waste of time.....Rando nailed it and I totally agree....Dis-connect and do by hand....I have a a four stroke, two person snowmobile that weighs 750 lbs....the trailer weighs 275lbs...that's 900 lbs... I can move that by hand and I'm 65 ....life is too short to waste it parking or un-parking trailers ......unless you are doing it competitively for prize money....IMHO.....Mike....

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Way back when I had a 1/2 ton truck and a 10 ft long trailer that I consistantly jack knifed without even blinking. Then my dad told me to put my hands at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel the direction you want the trailer to go your thumbs should point in that direction. That was GREAT advice and i could back up that trailer and then my 33 ft RV without a lot of hassel. BUT the spyder isn't equiped with a steering wheel!!!!! So I look in mirrors (old habbit) and put my hands UNDER the handle bars, so far it's worked fairly well, but that's me and I'm weired anyway. AND DO IT ALL SLOWLY!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The short trailer tongue makes everything happen VERY fast...
    It requires you to make tiny adjustmets, and be prepared to make them quickly...

It's a "touch" thing... but you'll get it for sure!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dont Worry Papa, I'll have Lady Macca stand out there with airport flashlights guiding you were you need to go. All else fails I'll lift your trailer.
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up You just gotta luv our Fellow SpyderLovers, what a Great Bunch

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Dont Worry Papa, I'll have Lady Macca stand out there with airport flashlights guiding you were you need to go. All else fails I'll lift your trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If they do to much shopping it might take more than one of us to lift the trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Threaten them... Tell that that they'll have to move it if they do too good of a job filling it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Threaten them... Tell that that they'll have to move it if they do too good of a job filling it!
    Like that will ever happen! I know my place and I stay in it after all these years. It's safe . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Like that will ever happen! I know my place and I stay in it after all these years. It's safe . . .

Papa

Lots of good advice here. In our case, we've been towing horse trailers for years on all types of vehicles and have learned that the longer the trailer (and tongue) the easier it is to back up.

Since the RT 622 doesn't make the grade that way it takes some time but it can be done and done well.

It seems to me that it is much easier to back up without using the mirrors.. small corrections can be made better by watching where you are heading rather than watching the trailer. Try to get the trailer in your peripheral vision so you are conscious of where it is heading and make the small corrections (remember left is right and right is left) as you go SLOWLY.

Good luck.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

This would be great if someone did a how to video on backing up.
    When I first started learning, I did a google search and there were
    videos on how to back up a trailer, but come to think of it they
    were all big trailers, so it was easy for them I guess from reading
    all the advice here. It takes me 3 tries or more to back into my garage

I would sign up for lessons at spyderfest if they were offered. Also watching
    someone do it as they narrate it would be great too. As it is now
    whenever I pull into a gas station I make sure i don't get trapped

Thank goodness for circular driveways