Thread: Won't start

Spyder Garage

Question Won't start

My 2010 rt SM5 has run without a problem since I brought it. Went to start it but it only turns over. Everything works, no messages, but will not start. Any ideas what to check before I take it to the shop?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryKaren View Post
    My 2010 rt SM5 has run without a problem since I brought it. Went to start it but it only turns over. Everything works, no messages, but will not start. Any ideas what to check before I take it to the shop?
    Check the battery and see if you have a full charge.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Check the battery and see if you have a full charge.
    The battery is fully charged.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Try holding the throttle wide open while starting.

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

Default Won't Start

Check your kill switch......

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Try holding the throttle wide open while starting.
    Just tried that, didn't work, It pops once and then just cranks. Like an old carb, it seems like it is flooded.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HntngTrout View Post
    Check your kill switch......
    With the kill switch on, it does not even turn over, so I guess I can rule that out

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Just tried that, didn't work, It pops once and then just cranks. Like an old carb, it seems like it is flooded.
    Sounds like the throttle body's are hanging up, Give it a few more tries it might start.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the throttle body's are hanging up, Give it a few more tries it might start.
    Now when I crank it, it might pop once or twice and then just cranks.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Your right about it being flooded, At this point, You can replace the spark plugs [one pain in the a**]
    Or let it sit over night to dry out the cylinders, and keeping it on a tender to get the battery fully charged.
    If that doesn't work take it to your dealer to check the throttle body's [up dates]

Another thought is a shot of ether [starting fluid]
    Last edited by boborgera; 03-26-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you have tried the other suggestions (battery charge and WOT start), I would suggest you pull the rear cylinder spark plug (easy to access) and inspect. If you notice a build up of carbon on the electrode then you have a fouled plug(s). In the short term I would clean this plug and make sure it is perfectly dry before re-installing. This should get you going as soon as you hit the starter and then you can deal with deciding whether you want/need to clean and/or replace the plugs.

This has been my experience each spring for the past two years. I tend to do a lot of idling during the winter maintenance/modding seasons as well as short runs during the late fall and early spring. I have found that this is a sure way to foul my plugs and prevent the RT from starting easily each spring.

Just my experience and the way I dealt with it. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Your right about it being flooded, At this point, You can replace the spark plugs [one pain in the a**]
    Or let it sit over night to dry out the cylinders, and keeping it on a tender to get the battery fully charged.
    If that doesn't work take it to your dealer to check the throttle body's [up dates]

Another thought is a shot of ether [starting fluid]

It finally started, seems to run fine although the engine sounds a little off, at a certain rpm ( maybe a 100 rpm's total) sounds a little like a value would be knocking. Oil is fine

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't be surprised if you fouled a plug, from the sound of things. Time to replaxce them. Be careful, the spark plug wires are easily damaged. Next time it cranks without firing, follow this procedure. First, crackthe throttle slightly while cranking. If it doesn't fire then, it is likely flooded. Open the throttle all the way, crank through several times (it will not start at WOT), then close the throttle and try again. if that doesn't work, repeat. It will usually start on the next cracked throttle try. First, replace those plugs, though.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Had similar issues before I had the Throttle Body replaced. Take it for a spin and see if it gets to run right. Might be able to clear the plugs. Other things you can do if it happens again, but I can't explain it like Nancy's Toy. If you wanta call me, send me a message for my number.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Had similar issues before I had the Throttle Body replaced. Take it for a spin and see if it gets to run right. Might be able to clear the plugs. Other things you can do if it happens again, but I can't explain it like Nancy's Toy. If you wanta call me, send me a message for my number.

Once I got it to start it seems to run fine. Took it for a spin with no issues. Drove it home and it started right up each time. I tried it this am and it started right up. Hopefully this was a one time issue. As I said earlier, it has been problem free since I brought it new(2010 RT) in Feb of 2011 and have 8500 miles on it.

Spyder Garage

Once I got it to start it seems to run fine. Took it for a spin with no issues. Drove it home and it started right up each time. I tried it this am and it started right up. Hopefully this was a one time issue. As I said earlier, it has been problem free since I brought it new(2010 RT) in Feb of 2011 and have 8500 miles on it.

I had the same problem after the winter months. Seemed that the fuel in the tank got old. After the incident and got Gray to run normally, I added some fuel stabilizer to make sure the fuel left in it would not affect my riding and in case I got stuck with bad ryding weather... But now she cranks with no hesitation!!

Hope to see you in Spyderfest!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5