Spyder Garage

Post That was fun! Air box check and oil addition.

This afternoon I rode to my shop where I decided to check my 2009 Spyder GS to see if I was losing oil into the air box. All in all, it was an interesting task.

I removed the top cowling, that “Y” shaped piece of Tupperware only has four fasteners, 2 plastic rivets and 2 screws, but getting it off takes some fiddling to get it past the seat.

Then removed the top panels on both sides. 4 screws each. Now the air box is fully visible. Popping the clips that secure the top isn't too difficult except for the one hidden in the center front of the box. Once all clips are off, you realize that you need to remove the hose from the right front of the box. Find a pair of pliers to move the spring clip back onto the hose and with a little judicious prying, the hose slips off and the air box lid is free.

Well, sort of, the lid needs to come out the right side of the machine, and don't you know it, you need to release the body panel that normally doesn't need removing. Take out one screw, and release one plastic rivet and the panel will flex away enough to allow you to work the top past it. It doesn't just slide out, it takes some careful prodding and lifting to clear the various projections inside the air box. Eventually, it comes out!

Happily, the air box was dry, just the barest trace of oil in one or two spots, the air filter was dry and doing its job.

Putting it back together was pretty straight forward. Once the top was finagled back into position, and all clips fastened, the hose was replaced and the spring clip returned to proper sealing position. The worst part was getting the top cowl back into position. The seat has to be up and it takes some careful maneuvering to get it back into position without marring it. Four screws in each top panel and three Druz fasteners and all panels are back on.

When I got home, I checked the oil level and added 100 ml to the reservoir. Brought it up to FULL. In 750 miles, I have used 150 ml oil, it isn't going into the air box. Spyder has just under 2400 miles on the odometer thus far. I will be monitoring oil usage as the miles pile up this summer.
    2009 GS SE5 Silver

Spyder Garage

Great Explanation Chief! I just did that today for the ? time .
    NEXT- Taking the bottom off isn,t that bad either to replace plugs and plug wires?
    1- Cut 3 Zip tyes on Left side.
    2-Cut hose clamp on left.
    3-Remove 6 Torx screws around carb intake.
    4-Push Tubes on right side into Airbox- (Use Long Screwdriver and it will work)
    5- Move bottom of airbox to the left like top.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Great Explanation Chief! I just did that today for the ? time .
    NEXT- Taking the bottom off isn,t that bad either to replace plugs and plug wires?
    1- Cut 3 Zip tyes on Left side.
    2-Cut hose clamp on left.
    3-Remove 6 Torx screws around carb intake.
    4-Push Tubes on right side into Airbox- (Use Long Screwdriver and it will work)
    5- Move bottom of airbox to the left like top.
    Before you remove the throttle body screws (we don't have carbs anymore), stuff a rag in the intake to prevent a disaster.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!