Spyder Garage

Default Recall fix Came unglued

I had the right side plastic off today to see if I could find out why my Break lights are sticking and staying on, and noticed that the recall fix that goes around the vapor can was unglued and hanging down I tried to stick it back on but I don't think its going to stay. any ideas on what to put on it to keep it stuck?

Before you ask I think the break solenoid switch is going bad The I can here it click but it doesn't always click off, I took it to the dealer for the 4600 mile service and he couldn't fix it because he couldn't get it to stick on. so I thought I would find it and see if I could fix it..... Ummmm NO!!!! its tucked in behind the passenger floor boards in between the frame and the cat converter. and I couldn't get to it, so it will have to go back to the dealer. Its been in limp mode twice because the light stuck on, and drained the battery once when I backed into the Spyder shed and didn't see the break light on when I closed the doors! My Spyder (The Silver Streak) is a 2013 ST-S with 4750 miles. Any one else have the break lights sticking on?

Kubie
    Last edited by kubie; 10-06-2013 at 05:20 PM.

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Default brake lights

my dealer said to me all the 13's are having this problem and no fix for it yet. i find myself checking every time i get off the bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default I Do too

I Check all the time now even when I'm ryding down the road. I put the toe of my boot under the pedel and lift. just to make sure its off!

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

Default brake light

We have a 2013 with 11,000 miles.The brake light never sticks.

Spyder Garage

My brake light has only stuck once so far. A couple tie wraps around the canister should hold the heat shield on there. Mine is now sitting on the shelf next to my 08 GS canister.

Spyder Garage

Never had the brake problem.

As far as the heat shield to canister, clean the canister good w/ alcohol or a plastic prep cleaner and re adhere the shield.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem with brake light sticking. Bike kept going into limp mode the VSS failure. Took into shop and the brake switches were bad due to the heat from my ST. The changed them out and no more issues. Completely drained a new battery. Maybe this will help.

Spyder Garage

It is important that the heat shield problem is reported to the dealer ASAP. If the fix is prone to failure, the safety of all the recalled Spyders is at stake. BRP won't be aware unless it is reported. The problem could be as simple as needing to add a step to the procedure to clean the canister before installing the shield, or it could have been due to an error on the technician's part, but it is important to report it and have it addressed.

The sticking brake light problem has a service bulletin describing the repairs. In some cases shaving the rubber stopper does not do the job and the switch must be replaced. Your dealer should be able to take care of this for you if you report it. If not, you need a new dealer.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 10-06-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is important that the heat shield problem is reported to the dealer ASAP. If the fix is prone to failure, the safety of all the recalled Spyders is at stake. BRP won't be aware unless it is reported. The problem could be as simmple as needing to add a step to the procedure to clean the canister before installing the shield, or it could have been due to an error on the technician's part, but it is important to report it and have it addressed.

The sticking brake light problem has a service bulletin describing the repairs. In some cases shaving the rubber stopper does not do the job and the switch must be replaced. Your dealer should be able to take care of this for you if you report it. If not, you need a new dealer.
    On both counts.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

with both of them...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My canister was loose bouncing around near the header. Tech told be it was because the fix was so thick it doesn't want to stay clipped in place.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heat always cause the problem.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    I had the right side plastic off today to see if I could find out why my Break lights are sticking and staying on, and noticed that the recall fix that goes around the vapor can was unglued and hanging down I tried to stick it back on but I don't think its going to stay. any ideas on what to put on it to keep it stuck? ...
    Kubie
    When I suggested that the recall fix was a band aid and that there is still a fire potential, even though reduced, I was jumped on with both feet. I remain unconvinced that the potential is eliminated. However, my canister will not melt again, sitting in a storage box.
    2013 RTS SE5
    2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    When I suggested that the recall fix was a band aid and that there is still a fire potential, even though reduced, I was jumped on with both feet. I remain unconvinced that the potential is eliminated. However, my canister will not melt again, sitting in a storage box.
    Who jumped on you? Cause your right! They did nothing to fix the source just protect the items that could melt.

Spyder Garage

Default I think the sts that are having the most problems

These units was built on Friday or Monday ,

friday techs were in a rush to go drinking
    Monday techs were way too tired and mess it all up, lol

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    I hear what your saying. Many times the best advice falls on the deaf ears of sheep, following the masses that are to busy drinking the forum kool-aid....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk