Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dog carrier for Spyder

The pet carriers online were grossly expensive or not the right size, so I looked at a few and ended up making my own. This is just a prototype, but seems to work well. We may need to put a mesh screen over it for a little high speed protection, but the spoiled little goober now thinks it's HIS bike!
    • We have two eye bolts (low in the box) connected with swivel hooks to a tight nylon rope inside to leash him down (allowing him to slide to either side or lay down.),
    • two bungees (hooked o 2 eye bolts in the bottom) and a blue ratchet strap to secure the box to the bike. I wish I could have found a black ratchet strap.
    • 1 inch padded foam under a layer of black vinyl (everywhere), with a 1 inch of foam covered in sheepskin for the flooring. He rides more comfortably than I do!
    • I used L brackets to reinforce the corners but a carpenter friend of mine said that was probably overkill. But, it's not his ass if I kill HER dog!
    • Mrs. Wyngman (shown) sewed a sheepskin tube to cover the ratchet strap to keep it from damaging the Tupperware.
    • The box is 24x14(tall at the back and 10" tall at the front)x14 think.
    • In the next version, I will make it a little shallower as it pushes me too far forward on the seat. While it is too thick for me on the RT, it is probably just right for upcoming RS.
    • The foam makes for a nice backrest though.
    • Whole project costs less than $60-$70 to build, compared to the $300-$700 ones I found online.

box_photo_01.jpg JakeMobile2012_0603_01.jpgJakeMobile2012_0604_01.jpgJakeMobile2012_0606_01.jpg
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2020 RTL , Red

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!! Way to think outside the box by creating your own

Great Job, Teddy is Happy to have more company on the road Just be prepaired for SuperStar status. If you thought the Spyder got you alot of attention, it was nothing comared to Spyder Ryde'n with yur best friend along for the ryde One suggestion, don't forget about Doggles to protect her eyes & always taking a water bottle/bowl to prevent dehydration, as its easy for them to get dehydrated in the sun & wind. Enjoy & have a Blast

zrc

I like it! I went with a Kuriyakan (it was a gift from my parents to their Granddog), Moxi is still getting used to it all!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It almost makes me wish that I had small dogs. Not really but great job on the carrier. I guess I'm jealous that you can take yours with you and mine have to stay at home. Have fun.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Outward Hound" carrier here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Jake- Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    Great Job, Teddy is Happy to have more company on the road Just be prepaired for SuperStar status. If you thought the Spyder got you alot of attention, it was nothing compared to Spyder Ryde'n with yur best friend along for the ryde One suggestion, don't forget about Doggles to protect her eyes & always taking a water bottle/bowl to prevent dehydration, as its easy for them to get dehydrated in the sun & wind. Enjoy & have a Blast
    Jake has a pair of Doggles but doesn't care for them. Maybe at higher speeds that will change. I appreciate the advice though. We always take water for him, but since Mrs. Wyngman has to pee every 1/4 mile, it usually isn't much of a problem. It's funny that when not riding, he tends to bark at other dogs walking by, but when riding it's like he got too 'cool' to bother with it. Now it seems more like "I'm riding and you're not. Whatever." kind of thing. One more way that this mutt is becoming a prima donna. great.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Cool Oh, it happens, get used to it

I know yesterday was our 1st ryde in a while & Teddy was mobbed, but can't remember how many ppl take'n pics commented, "OMG! Look, he's even pose'n for us!" It is fun if you can handle all the EXTRA attention

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So now He's the Rock Star, and you've become the roadie??

Spyder Garage

Cool Bob, I've always said its, "Teds Red Sled" & I'm just the chauffeur

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So now He's the Rock Star, and you've become the roadie??
    I know my place, for me, its all about the ryde& I'm just lucky enough to be along for it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen, my friend...

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Great job,

Looking forward to you design for Buddy, my 100 lb. Lab. He misses all the fun!!! However, someone has to stay back and mind the store while I play Wish he could................

Ride in comfort with me,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Default 100 lb Lab

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    Great job,
    Looking forward to you design for Buddy, my 100 lb. Lab. He misses all the fun!!! However, someone has to stay back and mind the store while I play Wish he could................
    Ride in comfort with me,
    John, Seal FloorBoards
    Yeah. 100 lbs would have waaaay been beyond my capabilities. Jake is 18-19 lbs and I can barely fit his lazy butt behind my wide one. A project for later on down the road is to create a fiberglass one molded in a curve to fit the backrest and matching the lines of the Spyder, seat, speakers and hand rails. I have read up on it and after some investigation, the materials alone would cost me about $160+! The work would cost me what little hair I have left and the ridicule from my wife would be unbearable if it wasn't just right. Maybe I will just stick with the padded box.

Maybe we can get a sidecar for Buddy?
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps a trailer? (Is that legal??? )

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nice job on the dog carrier! Unfortunately, we needed the space for an extra human.

Rack: $225.00
    Carrier: $150.00
    PookieDog Happiness: Money well spent!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    Yeah. 100 lbs would have waaaay been beyond my capabilities. Jake is 18-19 lbs and I can barely fit his lazy butt behind my wide one. A project for later on down the road is to create a fiberglass one molded in a curve to fit the backrest and matching the lines of the Spyder, seat, speakers and hand rails. I have read up on it and after some investigation, the materials alone would cost me about $160+! The work would cost me what little hair I have left and the ridicule from my wife would be unbearable if it wasn't just right. Maybe I will just stick with the padded box.

Maybe we can get a sidecar for Buddy?
    I have considerable experience with fiberglass. If you want to "carve" your piece in styrofoam you can go to System Three in Seattle and buy the acrylic resin used on surfboards. I used it to form exotic fountains and face them with various tiles, marble, granite, etc. (dancingwatersfountains.com) You hand lay up the fiberglass cloth. I still have some cloth if you need it. You can make it very strong. Your other option is to stay with the padded box and stay out of the padded cell

Laid up by hand

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Red face Here ya go, that is if you got the coin for it

http://www.wagstrailers.com/pet_trailer.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Perhaps a trailer? (Is that legal??? )

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DOG PALACE

Wingman, you are my kind of guy....Don't buy anything you can build.....as long as it's safe..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Dog carrier

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    Nice job on the dog carrier! Unfortunately, we needed the space for an extra human.
    That is sooo cool! I too needed the space for a human (well... a wife), but she insisted on getting her own Spyder (shopping this weekend.) In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to get a dog sitter! Actually it would be cheaper to take the dog and lose the wife, except for that whole "losing-half-my-sh*t" thing. Was that out loud?

I don't think I have the nerve to drill the Tupperware.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Dog Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wingman, you are my kind of guy....Don't buy anything you can build.....as long as it's safe..........Mike
    The safety issue was my biggest concern, because God help me if I did anything to hurt her dog! That silly pooch is safer than I am on the thing. After securing the box on the bike I physically tried to push it off and it is on there TIGHT!
    • The box is 1/4 inch plywood on a frame of 1x2 boards held together with 1" wood screws, steel L brackets and commercial wood glue.
    • The dog actually has a chest harness and a collar and TWO seatbelts (nylon braided marine ropes) securing him in the box (front and back) and is
    • surrounded by an inch of foam under the vinyl.
    • It's all held in place by two bungee cords and 2 inch wide 500 lb capacity ratchet strap.

NASCAR should have that much protection!

I don't know the wrong end of a screwdriver, but I couldn't see paying $600+ for a padded box I could build with plywood I had laying around. It was fairly simple and I got the idea from a web site where the guy custom makes them for bikes. I did the whole thing in the equivalent of a Sunday afternoon, not including shopping for foam and vinyl and hardware.
    Paul "Wingman" Metheney

2020 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    That is so cool! Thanks Dave!

Spyder Garage

I was looking for a way to take my puppy on my Spyder. She gets so mad everytime I leave on it and I think it is because she wants to go too. Interesting idead have to give this some serious thought.

Spyder Garage

Default pet carrier rack info needed

We have the Pet Palace and were wondering how to get it on the Spyder- how can we find the rack? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OLD FTS View Post
    We have the Pet Palace and were wondering how to get it on the Spyder- how can we find the rack? Thanks!
    InspectorGadget from Florida makes them. Give him a holler!!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

His stuff is mighty fine!

Spyder Garage

Nice job. Too bad it won't work for me as we ride two up. Need something I can hang off the bike somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by WingmanRT View Post
    The pet carriers online were grossly expensive or not the right size, so I looked at a few and ended up making my own. This is just a prototype, but seems to work well. We may need to put a mesh screen over it for a little high speed protection, but the spoiled little goober now thinks it's HIS bike!
    • We have two eye bolts (low in the box) connected with swivel hooks to a tight nylon rope inside to leash him down (allowing him to slide to either side or lay down.),
    • two bungees (hooked o 2 eye bolts in the bottom) and a blue ratchet strap to secure the box to the bike. I wish I could have found a black ratchet strap.
    • 1 inch padded foam under a layer of black vinyl (everywhere), with a 1 inch of foam covered in sheepskin for the flooring. He rides more comfortably than I do!
    • I used L brackets to reinforce the corners but a carpenter friend of mine said that was probably overkill. But, it's not his ass if I kill HER dog!
    • Mrs. Wyngman (shown) sewed a sheepskin tube to cover the ratchet strap to keep it from damaging the Tupperware.
    • The box is 24x14(tall at the back and 10" tall at the front)x14 think.
    • In the next version, I will make it a little shallower as it pushes me too far forward on the seat. While it is too thick for me on the RT, it is probably just right for upcoming RS.
    • The foam makes for a nice backrest though.
    • Whole project costs less than $60-$70 to build, compared to the $300-$700 ones I found online.

box_photo_01.jpg JakeMobile2012_0603_01.jpgJakeMobile2012_0604_01.jpgJakeMobile2012_0606_01.jpg