Thread: Clutch Failure

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Failure

My clutch went out on me a few times at Daytona bike week. It seemed to go out when the bike got hot. Once the bike cooled off it started back working. but the clutch lever was still pretty loose. Do any one have a solution for me?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbake View Post
    My clutch went out on me a few times at Daytona bike week. It seemed to go out when the bike got hot. Once the bike cooled off it started back working. but the clutch lever was still pretty loose. Do any one have a solution for me?
    With the limited info, i would have say see your dealer.
    Was this slowly happening over time or did it happen suddenly at Datona.??

Spyder Garage

Details like what kind of spyder, what year, mileage ridden etc would be helpful for anyone providing advice. I did have a clutch go out on my 2010 RTS at 8000 miles and BRP replaced it.
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCH LEVER LOOSE

Check your clutch fluid level, Not knowing miles on spyder it might need flushing with new fluid and bleeding and check for any leaks..
    and it could have a bad clutch cylinder

Freebob...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    With the limited info, i would have say see your dealer.
    Was this slowly happening over time or did it happen suddenly at Datona.??
    IT HAPPENED SUDDENLY IN DAYTONA.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Details like what kind of spyder, what year, mileage ridden etc would be helpful for anyone providing advice. I did have a clutch go out on my 2010 RTS at 8000 miles and BRP replaced it.
    MY Spyder is a 2009 rs and it does hav over 8000 miles on it.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

IT HAPPENED SUDDENLY IN DAYTONA.
    Front sprocket. ? hope not.

Spyder Garage

Your clutch slave cylinder or the clutch itself are suspect, if the master cylinder is full and working correctly and you haven't switched brands or grades of oil recently. This isn't a do-it-yourself repair. See a dealer.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default CLUTCH

Mine did the same thing last year at Daytona.After i got home i put neww clutch plates in didn't work.Take your clutch lever off look and see if metal arm that hits a switch button is broke off.Mine had wedge in and would not let the clutch release all the way everytime.Other times it worked pretty good.After i took the broke piece out it worked perfect.I did buy a new master clinder 3 or 4 months later but i didn't have to.You can buy whole master clinder alot cheaper than you can the parts about 95.00.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Another clutch failure today

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your clutch slave cylinder or the clutch itself are suspect, if the master cylinder is full and working correctly and you haven't switched brands or grades of oil recently. This isn't a do-it-yourself repair. See a dealer.
    My Spyder is in the shop now. I took it in for a tire and wheel change, check bearings, brakes and suspension. I wanted to make sure its ready to roll. I went today to pick it up and while I was paying the bill the mechanic was getting the spyder off of the rack. He started it put it in reverse and slowly let out the clutch and no movement. After checking fluid, bleeding the system with new fluid still no go. Removed clutch cover and found two rubber O rings around the piston and two rubber O rings around the sleeve were degraded. The fluid was black when we first started to bleed it out and tiny bits of rubber was everywhere. Unfortunately they didn't have them in stock and it was too late in the day to order them. They will be ordered tomorrow and the dealer is closed on Monday so it will be Tuesday at the earliest. Chris the mechanic said he would remove the clutch pack tomorrow to clean and check it out as well. What better place to break down!

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    My Spyder is in the shop now. I took it in for a tire and wheel change, check bearings, brakes and suspension. I wanted to make sure its ready to roll. I went today to pick it up and while I was paying the bill the mechanic was getting the spyder off of the rack. He started it put it in reverse and slowly let out the clutch and no movement. After checking fluid, bleeding the system with new fluid still no go. Removed clutch cover and found two rubber O rings around the piston and two rubber O rings around the sleeve were degraded. The fluid was black when we first started to bleed it out and tiny bits of rubber was everywhere. Unfortunately they didn't have them in stock and it was too late in the day to order them. They will be ordered tomorrow and the dealer is closed on Monday so it will be Tuesday at the earliest. Chris the mechanic said he would remove the clutch pack tomorrow to clean and check it out as well. What better place to break down!
    Upon further inspection of the clutch this morning Chris found that the clutch shims had shifted out of place and was preventing the clutch from disengaging. There was some wear on the clutch disc so we decided to go ahead and replace the whole thing. If all goes well I should get it back on Tuesday. With a 70% chance of rain on Saturday and a 30% change of rain on Sunday, I'll just consider it a 100% chance of rain for the weekend and look forward to Tuesday when the forecast is sunny and 70 degrees.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift