Spyder Garage

Default Fox vs Elka shocks for 2011 RSS

Guys, interesting question...

Should I get new 2012 Fox (cheaper) front shocks or get Elkas? I Would love better handling on turns at higher speeds. I am about to get my bike from storage so it's the best time to put them on.

Thanks for the help!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown Newbie View Post
    Guys, interesting question...

Should I get new 2012 Fox (cheaper) front shocks or get Elkas? I Would love better handling on turns at higher speeds. I am about to get my bike from storage so it's the best time to put them on.

Thanks for the help!
    I think it would be better to go with elkas up frount even if the price is higher, you get what you pay for"

zrc

I have heard good things about the Fox Shocks on the RSS. And some old hats here have hinted that they are equal and perhaps superior. I personally dont know that we have had enough feed back on these shocks to have a good answer to that question.

My question is this, what is the price difference and does it leave you with a set of the Fox Shocks to liquidate or are they consumed on trade up for the Elkas.

Spyder Garage

My dealer in Lake Villa, il said it would cost 600 to put on Fox and I have seen 800 on this site ( assuming w labor)

zrc

My dealer in Lake Villa, il said it would cost 600 to put on Fox and I have seen 800 on this site ( assuming w labor)
    Thats odd, I thought 2012 RS-S come with Fox Shocks standard, I will need someone more intelligent than me on the matter to verify.

Spyder Garage

They do...I have a 2011 RSS

zrc

They do...I have a 2011 RSS

I will be back in a bit, I am heading out to the local high school, to learn to freaking read.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Shock(ing) Prices

Shock Info & Prices:

Elka Stage 1 +R:
    • The basic unit offers adjustable preload (used to compensate for riding solo or two-up with or without baggage) of the spring + adjustable rebound damping. The spring is supplied in the proper rate for the rider's weight.
    • Cost $695 (front), $549 (rear) Cowtown once had a special on the front shocks for for $599 and the rear for $499: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=elkas. There is also a online dealer that sells the front for $590 although I reccommend going with Cowtown for the personal service.

Elka Stage 1 +HYD:

• Same as the Stage 1 +R above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
    • Cost $875 (rear)

Elka Stage 2 +R:

• Same as the Stage 1 +R above + external reservoir with floating piston to provide more consistent damping action over longer rides and/or during more spirited riding.
    • Cost $975 (front)

Elka Stage 4:

• Adjustable preload, rebound, high-speed and low-speed compression.
    • Cost $1570 (front)

Elka Stage 4 +HYD:

• Same as above with the addition of hydraulic preload adjuster for easier access and on-the-fly adjustability.
    • Cost$1,195 (rear)

Elka Stage 5:

• High-end option for discriminating riders looking for the ultimate adjustability. The Stage 5 is designed to be lightweight, provide maximum oil flow and superior adjustability.
    • Cost $1,595 (front)

Progressive 435 Series

• High pressure gas mono tube design with deflective disk damping to insure high performance ride control. Threaded pre-load adjusters allow for tool-less adjustment, and effortless tuning of ride quality.
    • Cost $425

FOX Racing Shocks

• Adjustable, Gas Charged 5.7" (145 mm). BRP Accessory available from BRP dealers and online.
    • Cost $450

2011-2012 OEM RT Front Shocks

• Used by some as an upgrade to the OEM RS/GS front shocks, listed here for reference
    • Cost $165

You may be able to find better prices if you shop around.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm definitely watching this thread. Shocks and/or swaybar on my "I really want it" list. I am an *ahem* aggressive rider, and I'd like to improve the performance in turns.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default shocks

My 2 cents for you, elkas are great but way too expensive, I got a great deal on Fox shocks on my RT-S and they make a HUGE Difference.....I also added 2 front wider tires....im a happy camper.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default fox shocks

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdmb1621 View Post
    My 2 cents for you, elkas are great but way too expensive, I got a great deal on Fox shocks on my RT-S and they make a HUGE Difference.....I also added 2 front wider tires....im a happy camper.
    I am intrested in the fox shocks. I have a 2011 rt-sm. what shocks did you get, from who and how much. would like to get some soon.

Thanks,

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdmb1621 View Post
    Thanks...what kind of tires did you get...size?

ABQ...I drive aggressive as well and on turns need a bit of help

Mr Orange, I might take you on your offer...love the look and your bikes set up! I might invest in Fox just to try them out...I will update the thread after I test them.