Spyder Garage

Default GPS QUESTION ABOUT LOCKING

I have a 2011 RT and a 2012 RT limited. We've installed GPS on both (well the limited came with it). My question is there anyway to lock the unit to the mount. It's a real pain to take the GPS off the mount everytime we stop somewhere, to prevent someone from steeling it. BRP should have thought about this problem.

Spyder Garage

How are you taking off the mount? It's hard wired in.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Locking Mount

Try this link it may help

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...216#post399216

Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also have the Touratech for my Garmin 660..When I was researching it came up with very good reviews...I had one guy on the forum tell me it was a piece of crap and somebody can just pull it away to get to the gps but I'll tell you...it's gonna prevent theft...Paid around $160 for it if I remember right.

Spyder Garage

I have my Zumo setup to go between three bikes. I am not aware of any quick way to "lock" the GPS. Garmin made the Zumo to be transportable. I kinda like that it takes only a second to detach it from the mount.

BMW did find a way to address your issue on the K1600 by having the screen lower when you turn the key off.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't take long to remover the gps from the touratec if you have the key......I use the touratech on my Spyder and have mounts in both our other vehicles to use it with them...It also saves me 10% on my insurance rates for our Spyders.

Spyder Garage

I have the 550 and the MC bracket on a Kewlmetal bracket. The locking flap has a security screw (read "special hard to find small screwdriver"), that when is screwed in, makes the GPS part of the bike, and would take a chisel and sledge to remove it. Leaving the screw out, allows quick removal of the GPS at any stop……. [provided the screw hasn't vibrated partially in…]

I also almost always cover my Spyder - usually with a spandex sun cover - but it's covered.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Here's a guy who makes a replacement screw. I ordered four and gave them to friends. They are beautifully made and eliminate the silly screwdriver.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...Security-Screw

There are Europeans who make them but this chap is in the States.

ken tompkins

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I have the 550 and the MC bracket on a Kewlmetal bracket. The locking flap has a security screw (read "special hard to find small screwdriver"), that when is screwed in, makes the GPS part of the bike, and would take a chisel and sledge to remove it. Leaving the screw out, allows quick removal of the GPS at any stop……. [provided the screw hasn't vibrated partially in…]

I also almost always cover my Spyder - usually with a spandex sun cover - but it's covered.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post

I took the other way with my Zumo (s): I replaced the "special" screw by a thumb screw: I can unbolt my gps in a second... I use to have a lock on the stand too: in between the key for it, the special screwdriver it took so long time... Knowing that if "they" cannot steal it cause of all of these "they"'ll certainly destroy it out of frustration !! So out of view in a sec!!! Why BRP did not install on in the dashboard replacing the redundant digital/analog speedo/tacho is still hard to understand !!

Spyder Garage

Default GPS locking...

For those with the Kewlmetal bracket, and the Garmin 660, I did the following:
    Originally I used 5/16" long bushings between the bracket and the mount so that the offset base of the mount cleared the bracket. I replaced them today with a 3/8" thick piece of aluminum bar stock. This allowed me to drill into the top of the spacer and add a flap that covers the latch portion of the mount. The screws I used are security torx, installed with loctite. I'm hoping that the security screws will be a deterent when stopping for fuel or food. At day's end, you only have to back them off about 1/8" to allow release.Top2.jpgBracket side.jpg
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)