Spyder Garage

Default Trunk Accessory Jack

Okay, so I have the accessory jack installed in the trunk...it was working but now it is not. Besides checking the fuse, what else should I check?
    Everything never changes!

Spyder Garage

This may be a silly question, but you do realize that it only works when the Spyder RS is running, I hope. If the fuse is good, then I'd check the connector at the rear of the outlet next. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get to.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I learned in doing my own troubleshooting that you can't have anything plugged in at the time that you turn the engine over. It will blow the fuse. Otherwise, ya, double check the connection on the back of the outlet. You can take a fluke multimeter, put the positiveon the center of the outlet and the negative on the side and check to see if you have voltage coming all the way through. You should do this after you check the fuse and before you remove the side panels. You might have also blown the fuse inside the charger itself.it took me 7 different chargers and 4 mini fuses to figure out what was going on. Using the fluke, you should have about 12.6 Volts when the Spyder is off, and 13.6 when the Spyder is running.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    I learned in doing my own troubleshooting that you can't have anything plugged in at the time that you turn the engine over. It will blow the fuse. Otherwise, ya, double check the connection on the back of the outlet. You can take a fluke multimeter, put the positiveon the center of the outlet and the negative on the side and check to see if you have voltage coming all the way through. You should do this after you check the fuse and before you remove the side panels. You might have also blown the fuse inside the charger itself.it took me 7 different chargers and 4 mini fuses to figure out what was going on. Using the fluke, you should have about 12.6 Volts when the Spyder is off, and 13.6 when the Spyder is running.
    On the Spyder GS or RS, the front trunk accessory outlet is not normally hot when the Spyder is off. It can be wired to the unswitched accessory circuit, but that is not the intent or the norm. If it is wired normally, there will be no voltage at all when the Spyder is not running.

If you are blowing fuses at startup with an accessory installed, the accessory is pulling too many amps. The circuit is limited to 3 amps...which is almost nothing. This circuit should not be used for charging.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On the Spyder GS or RS, the front trunk accessory outlet is not normally hot when the Spyder is off. It can be wired to the unswitched accessory circuit, but that is not the intent or the norm. If it is wired normally, there will be no voltage at all when the Spyder is not running.

If you are blowing fuses at startup with an accessory installed, the accessory is pulling too many amps. The circuit is limited to 3 amps...which is almost nothing. This circuit should not be used for charging.
    What might confuse some is that the accessory circuit will stay live for a short time after the engine is turned off. [if wired using the instructions]

Spyder Garage

I had the dealership install my outlet originally, and I now have a 5 amp fuse. I just need to remind myself on road trips to unplug it before startup. I will need to switch batteries almost every Gas stop in my GoPro on my way to SpyderFest anyway, so when I switch batteries, I will unplug the charger, get everything switched out, fill up the tank, document my stop for my Saddlesore 1000 paperwork, start the spyder, plug in the charger, restart the GoPro, and head back on the road.

Spyder Garage

mine works fine,I never un plug the charger that goes to my iPhone ,I plug & unplug my phone every time i get on or off my and never blow a fuze or have trouble.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Default Not the fuse

I changed the fuse out and started it up...nothing still. To check the wiring does that require removing the trunk? I did that before but it has been awhile and I remember it being a pain. At least it fired right up. Trying to get the bike ready to go for spring!

Spyder Garage

From the shifter side of the Spyder, you might be able to reach up to the back of the plug, leave the trunk open so you'll have an idea where it is. It could be that the connection has come off or is loose.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I changed the fuse out and started it up...nothing still. To check the wiring does that require removing the trunk? I did that before but it has been awhile and I remember it being a pain. At least it fired right up. Trying to get the bike ready to go for spring!
    No, it doesn't, you can take the outlet portion off and be able to check for power to the wires at the rear of the outlet through the drilled hole.

Spyder Garage

Default Haha!

Okay, got it out...the wires were loose. I had it working...and now it isn't again. Once I went to put it back it stopped! UGH!!! Looks like I will be making a trip to the local hardware store. I am going to cut the wires and put them in new connectors if I can find some.

Spyder Garage

Just make sure you get the polarity right, the contact in the center has to be positive, the other one is ground.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Got it fixed!

Okay, finally it is fixed. Blew a fuse in my GPS (the cord) and had to replace it as well, but now everything works again!