Spyder Garage

Default What rear tire size are you running?

Starting to shop for a new rear and would like to use the Mich Hydroedge or Gen Altimax RT, but these don't come in 225/50. They are avail in 215/60 although these are larger in circumference and make the speedo run higher. Don't think I'd mind this, but am interested in knowing if others use the 215/60-15 and what effect it had/has on your speedo?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Why are you locked in on tires that don't come in the correct size for the intended application?? Do they have attributes that you think might be worth the effort?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=ulflyer;420576]Starting to shop for a new rear and would like to use the Mich Hydroedge or Gen Altimax RT, but these don't come in 225/50. They are avail in 215/60 although these are larger in circumference and make the speedo run higher. Don't think I'd mind this, but am interested in knowing if others use the 215/60-15 and what effect it had/has on your speedo?[/Q]

I am running the Michelin Hydroedge 215/60-15 on my 2008 GS with no problems whatsoever. Of course I haven't put too many miles on it yet since I did the changeover this winter, but I have been able to put a little over 150 miles on it so far. The clearance between the tire and rear fender is reduced, but it clears the tire and of course that dimension is constant since the the fender brackets are mounted on the swing arms. It has broguht my speedometer to exactly what my Garmin reads as far as speed and almost exactly the same as mileage on the odometer. The speedomter on my Spyder always was about 3 MPH faster than the Garmin at speeds of 70 MPH and above. I really like this tire a lot and expect to get alot more miles on before I have to replace the rear tire again. I am planning on going to the General Altimax tire when the fronts need replacing.
    Last edited by Spyderjockey; 02-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

Bob, yes they do........longer wear rated. I'm an easy rider, fair wx rider, and dont need softer compounds to sling around curves and such. I'm looking for as much long wear as I can get and both of the tires I listed offer that. I have the Altimax on my Corolla and love em, and Mich on the Altima and love them even more. Going with a brand for the Can Am.

Spyderjock: thanks, I thought I had read that someone was using the 215's. Just needed some confirmation before I order.
    I've never checked my speedo as I dont use a GPS but thought it was pretty accurate. Maybe not and the 215's will make it more so.

Registered Users InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Falken

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Starting to shop for a new rear and would like to use the Mich Hydroedge or Gen Altimax RT, but these don't come in 225/50. They are avail in 215/60 although these are larger in circumference and make the speedo run higher. Don't think I'd mind this, but am interested in owing if others use the 215/60-15 and what effect it had/has on your speedo?
    I just installed a Falken ZE512 that is the same size as stock rear on my RT. I can't tell you how it wears as I have just installed it, but I am hoping I will get more that the 10,000 miles I am getting out of the stock Kenda.
    Good luck C-YA RL
    It wasn't MEEEEE!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I just installed a Falken ZE512 that is the same size as stock rear on my RT. I can't tell you how it wears as I have just installed it...

we're going to have to keep an eye on each other; I just re-shod mine with the ZE912!
    UL,
    What is the wear rating for them? (Curiosity!)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Spydrjockey;420615]
    Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Starting to shop for a new rear and would like to use the Mich Hydroedge or Gen Altimax RT, but these don't come in 225/50. They are avail in 215/60 although these are larger in circumference and make the speedo run higher. Don't think I'd mind this, but am interested in knowing if others use the 215/60-15 and what effect it had/has on your speedo?[/Q]

I am running the Michelin Hydroedge 215/60-15 on my 2008 GS with no problems whatsoever. Of course I haven't put too many miles on it yet since I did the changeover this winter, but I have been able to put a little over 150 miles on it so far. The clearance between the tire and rear fender is reduced, but it clears the tire and of course that dimension is constant since the the fender brackets are mounted on the swing arms. It has broguht my speedometer to exactly what my Garmin reads as far as speed and almost exactly the same as mileage on the odometer. The speedomter on my Spyder always was about 3 MPH faster than the Garmin at speeds of 70 MPH and above. I really like this tire a lot and expect to get alot more miles on before I have to replace the rear tire again. I am planning on going to the General Altimax tire when the fronts need replacing.

RS 225/55/15 back tire is working on the Spyder without throwing codes.
    See http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=myth
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Mr Orange got me looking at tire calculators and heres something that surprised me: 195/60-15 is a lot closer to OEM than the 215/60-15 that I was considering. Tons of tires in the 195 size.

Specificati Side Radius Diamr Circum Revs/Mile Difference
    225/50-15 4.4in 11.9in 23.9in 75.0in 845 0.0%
    195/60-15 4.6in 12.1in 24.2in 76.1in 833 1.5%

Spyder Garage

Bob, sorry to not ans you qustion sooner; just didn't see till now: the rating on the General is 600AA and Mich 900AB.

Spyder Garage

Default Stock Tire

Just had a stock Kenda installed in place of my well used original. ~18600 mi out of the first one. Didn't want to tamper with success.

Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that the wear ratings on both Falkens (512 &912) is 360... But my memory ain't all that great!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    I'm running stock but here is a link to a really good size calculator.

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.htm...&maxratio=70&m
    I thought you were running something not stock from Tirerack?
    2013 Yellow ST-S SM5, Elka Stage1 Rear Shock, 2Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air Filter(soon), TricLED fnt fender LEDs, frnt LED daylight strips, 3rd Rear brake LED, ISCI Hand Brake, BajaRon Sway Bar&Links, Bullant Laser Aligned, Lamont's CAT ByPass, CALSCI Windshield, Works Performance Stage 5 Front Shocks
    Previous = 2010 Blue RT-S Spyder SM5