Spyder Garage

Default Help with installing new grips

I just got a set of black chrome Kuryakyn ISO grips for my 2011 RS SE5. I have never installed grips on a bike before so I am looking for any helpful hints or advise on putting these on. Things like, is it easy or hard or do this not this. Anything you can tell me will appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AFSpyder View Post
    I just got a set of black chrome Kuryakyn ISO grips for my 2011 RS SE5. I have never installed grips on a bike before so I am looking for any helpful hints or advise on putting these on. Things like, is it easy or hard or do this not this. Anything you can tell me will appreciated.
    Maybe this will help
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...light=Kuryakyn

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BentGamer View Post
    This link is for the RT, not the RS. You should be able to put ISO's on the RS, but will need the proper size. Seems like it's 7/8", but check before buying. Instead of grip glue, I wrap the bare handlebars with black electrical tape to make an adjustable but snug fit. That will allow you to take them off without destroying the rubber inserts.

Spyder Garage

I've never needed to use grip glue- just hot soapy water. Be very careful on the throttle side. If you twist too hard you can break the plastic 'key' that keeps the throttle in place on the bars-- ask me how I know----;-)

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I've never needed to use grip glue- just hot soapy water. Be very careful on the throttle side. If you twist too hard you can break the plastic 'key' that keeps the throttle in place on the bars-- ask me how I know----;-)
    Soap and water for me too. The grips I installed have been on for over 2 years and have not moved.