Spyder Garage

Default RT Trailer Hitch Removal

Howdy Everyone,

I have a question about temporarily removing the hitch from the RT. It would appear that there are four black bolts (two on each side) that would need to be removed to allow the curved portion of the hitch with the ball and splash guard on it to be pulled out. My question is that on my installation the bolt heads are on the inside (near the rear tire). When I try to remove them, one of them bumps up against the rear rotor. Am I doing something wrong. Should the bolt heads have been on the outside?

Thanks,

David
    McKinney, TX
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 02-24-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Spyder Garage

dont remove those 4 bolts all you have to remove is the long bolt that goes through the centre of the axle.I use a low rebound rubber hammer to tap the hitch staight back about a 5 minute job.Just be careful and dont catch the cable for rear sensor or brake line when removeing hitch

Spyder Garage

Gordy is correct. Don't remove (or loosen) the bolts. The long bolt goes through the hollow axle to hold the hitch on. Be sure to put a new cotter key in the axle afterwards. The hitch comes straight back off the swingarm. You may need a little persuasion if it is stuck. The plastic bumpers sometimes stick, sand it is a snug fit. Reinstallation is just the reverse.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Don't take the hitch apart and make sure you have that cotter key in place before you ryde.
    Corbin saddle
    spyderpops block off plate, bump skid, belt guard
    IPS
    Tricled LED lights all around(too many to name here)
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Custom Dynamics britesides
    VTC floorboards, upper air vents, spoiler
    BK car stuff HID upgrade
    trailer hitch
    Repainted rear fender, trunk latch assembly, switch cluster, gauge cluster
    cell phone interface kit
    travel cover that no longer fits due to the spoiler
    New sway bar
    New shock relocator

Spyder Garage

Hi! I'm a newbie, just had my 2013 Spyder RT Limited for less than a week, and it came with a trailer hitch. My questions is, does the axle bolt that holds the hitch on need to be replaced if the hitch is removed? It's probably a good place to leave it, so you never lose it I'm thinking Your sage advice is appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwan57 View Post
    Hi! I'm a newbie, just had my 2013 Spyder RT Limited for less than a week, and it came with a trailer hitch. My questions is, does the axle bolt that holds the hitch on need to be replaced if the hitch is removed? It's probably a good place to leave it, so you never lose it I'm thinking Your sage advice is appreciated!
    The axle bolt is what holds the rear wheel AND the hitch in place.
    Please do not remove it and then try to ryde your Spyder, or your rear wheel WILL fall off, not to mention damage to other components!

Spyder Garage

the bolt that holds the trailer hitch goes through the bolt that holds wheel on.

Spyder Garage

Lamonster has a good video on how to remove the hitch. It is very easy. As others have said, the hitch bolt slides through the center of the hollow Axel bolt. Remove the carter key, nut and tap the bolt out. it should come right out. As far as where to leave the hitch bolt when the hitch is removed,, simply lay it with the hitch. you'll never lose it. Go to the videos, media and you should find the one on the hitch removal.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    The axle bolt is what holds the rear wheel AND the hitch in place.
    Please do not remove it and then try to ryde your Spyder, or your rear wheel WILL fall off, not to mention damage to other components!
    I may be new to the Spyder, but I didn't fall off a turnip truck, and I can turn a wrench. I see that the trailer bolt goes THROUGH the axle by design, and removing it had NO EFFECT on the rear axle-so, are you trying to pull my leg, or just giving out bad information?

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I may be new to the Spyder, but I didn't fall off a turnip truck, and I can turn a wrench. I see that the trailer bolt goes THROUGH the axle by design, and removing it had NO EFFECT on the rear axle-so, are you trying to pull my leg, or just giving out bad information?
    He did not give out bad info, the other poster mislabeled the parts. If you remove the "axle bolt" the wheel will fall off but removing the "hitch bolt" has no effect on the axle like you said....
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

The hitch bolt runs through the hollow axle bolt. Remove the hitch bolt and the hitch should slide off the swing arm ends, although it may need a few taps with a rubber mallet to get it off. Install the hitch bolt back onto the uninstalled hitch assembly to keep it all together.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly