Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Bar 1" Bar Riser

Looking to add the 1" bar riser to my RS and wanted to hear about your thoughts, good or bad, on this upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Consider adding one of the taller aftermarket riser kits instead. The 1" riser is a help, but not really enough to be worthwhile, especially if you have a taller windshield. ESI sells their 3" riser because so many folks with the 1" BRP riser found they needed more...including my wife.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Scotty . Many had the dealer install the 1" riser (that's all BRP offers ) and didn't notice any difference at all . Most ended up getting ESI 3 or 4" risers. What I did from the start was to sit on the bike as upright as felt comfortable and measured where my hands felt best to the handle bars. 4" work best for me . Just remember the more upright you sit your present windshield may not be high enough .
    Happy Owner

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by todthebod View Post
    Looking to add the 1" bar riser to my RS and wanted to hear about your thoughts, good or bad, on this upgrade.
    In my opinion, Going 1'' isn't worth the time, money, and effort. ESI 3 or 4 '' is the way to go.
    I went with the 3'' and in retrospect i should have gone with 4''.

Spyder Garage

My experience also. Had the 1" riser put on first thing on my 2008. Noticed no difference. Dealer built 3" riser for his and I had him install one on mine. Much better riding position for me.
    I prefer sitting up instead of the sport lean.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm in the minority on this one. The 1 inch riser is perfect for me, but then most of my riding is sport riding. For extended touring, I guess the 3 inch is better. But if my thing was touring, I would trade up to an RT.

Spyder Garage

They did not have RT's in 2008 or 2009--a lot of us tried to made the RS into touring machines.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I'm in the minority on this one. The 1 inch riser is perfect for me, but then most of my riding is sport riding. For extended touring, I guess the 3 inch is better. But if my thing was touring, I would trade up to an RT.
    I have a 2008 GS and the 1" is all I need. It lets me sit straight up while riding. I have put another 40,000+ miles on my bike since getting the 1" riser on my bike and I will not put anything higher on. I also know a few other riders who also just put the 1" on and they feel the same way. If I wanted a touring bike I would switch to a RT. I love my GS and I would not be able to take corners as fast with a 3" riser on. I call my GS the 3 wheeled sport bike. My friends on sport bikes are always surprised to see how well I can keep up with them in canyons. It was easier for me in the canyons without the 1" riser, but I just adjusted my cornering style and now I am fine with it.

It really is up to you and the type of rider you are. What ever you ride should be set up for you and what type of rider you are, no one can decide that for you. You need to figure out what you like and stick with it, after all you are the one on it.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I love my 1" raiser!!! It does the work for me and it still keeps the nice style of the handlebar.

Spyder Garage

Waste of time and money. Buy the after market 4" risers. I'm 6' tall and my hands would hurt because I had to lean over to far forward.
    Last edited by Spyder#353; 02-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Use whatever fits you! I bought one and being 6 ft it was not for me.I end up with 3" risers.

(I might have it somewhere, Todthebod.Chill until Monday,I can't get at my gear until then and if I find it; it's yours no charge , just catch the shipping.)
    Last edited by Eraser; 02-15-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Play Safe!!!

2010 RT.

Spyder Garage

Default Custom dynamic 4 inch risers

I am vertically challenged and when I got my 2008 RS, a rode leaning forward, which made my arms hurt when riding very far. We ordered the 4" risers from Custom Dynamics. They were fairly easy for my husband and I to install, and they don't look too bad either. You can adjust them forward or back also to get them in the best position for you. They have made a huge difference for me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    They did not have RT's in 2008 or 2009--a lot of us tried to made the RS into touring machines.
    I think that there's a saying for that...
    "You can't turn a pig into a swan; but with enough make-up you'll end up with a real pretty pig!"

Changing the seating position will change your requirements for the windshield... as several others have said!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black