Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Default Walking stick cane holder

I've been wanting a way to carry a tall walking stick or my walking cane on my Spyder without lashing it across the seat. The walking stick is over 5 feet long so that's not practible.

I design and and fabricated a holder that is attached to the trailer hitch. The end of the stick/cane goes in the holder. A piece of parachute cord puts tension and holds the stick/cane so it doesn't leave the Spyder while under way.
    The holder is made of stainless steel sheet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I got the ReflectGard installed on the back of the Spyder on the black areas on the rear. The sheeting is black but reflects white when headlights hit it.
    Thanks to you, that's what the back of mine looks like.

Thanks much.
    David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I've been wanting a way to carry a tall walking stick or my walking cane on my Spyder without lashing it across the seat. The walking stick is over 5 feet long so that's not practible.
    well, Dr House carried his cane attached to his motorcycle

let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Spyder Garage

Since owning my 2010 Blue SpyderByte RT, the brakes always seemed to suck. I even put some of the nice brake pads RON sells and they still sucked. The pedal I felt could be improved if sat a bit higher so I could have a bit more leverage when applying the brakes.

So, I can up with an idea and applied it to my 2010 Spyder RT tonight.
    I pulled the rubber brake pedal pad off by UN bolting it. I cut off a piece of an aluminum bar I had purchase from Aircraft Spruce & Specilty this past year. Drilled two over size holes in it for wiggle room for the bolts.
    Headed over to ACE and picked up two longer bolts to mount the bar piece between the pad and the pedal.
    I painted the bar black before putting everything back together. Applied blue Locktight to the threads and tighten them down.

I sat sat on the bike and it seemed to feel better than before. I will give a test tomorrow when I got out on the road.

Spyder Garage

WOW! What a difference that spacer does in braking. More positive brake feel. The brakes aren't as good as the 2015 RTS but a lot better than before I did the mod. Wish I had thought to do that years ago!

Spyder Garage

Here are some photos for those of you that have been asking questions about my TK-1 Trailer.This shows the round anchor I installed next to the rail for the strap that goes to the Spyder's trailer hitch. Also the relocation of the license plate.
    This is the location of the spare tire bolted to the rear of the storage box. Yes, I use the trailer for trips to the county dump.

Spyder Garage

The next photo shows some safety extras I have added to the trailer like reflective tapes.
    Then there is 'The Box' for helping to secure the trailer from moving/rolling away that the front tongue wheel goes into. I also chock the trailer's wheels.
    Real simple to make out of 2x4's and a piece of plywood.

Spyder Garage

Default Tk1 trailer

Thanks I got some good ideas. Will probably fix my tk1 the same way.

Spyder Garage

Default Anchor points

Here's the components of the anchor points not including the screws for trailer's deck.
    The ring portion is removed when loading and unloading the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I decided to remove the walking stick holder off the trailer hitch because I wasn't using it and I wanted to put on a mud flat since I had a problem with mud recently getting on my Ooogly Trailer.

I cut out a piece of red Kydex to the proper size I wanted. Drilled a couple of holes to act as a relief so there wouldn't develop any cracks when I bent the material when heating it up with a heat gun and bending it.
    With some of the material I cut off, I made some retainers to hold the rubber flap part on. Then attached it using some retainer clips and screws I had on hand. I then installed the assembly under the ball hitch to hole it in place.

Spyder Garage

Who can tell me what those black things are attached to the mud flap, in top photo?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Who can tell me what those black things are attached to the mud flap, in top photo?
    It's where you connect the safety chains to the bike from the trailer.

Spyder Garage

Nope. The TOP photo Sharon. The long black things sticking out of the red Kydex, what are they called?
    You were looking at the middle photo. Yes, that's the plate for the safety chains. You are correct there. Have Mona give you a cookie.
    Last edited by Cavman; 03-21-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Spyder Garage

I had a little accident of the jack knife kind with my Ooogly Trailer and the Spyder last month. So, I have been in the process of rebuilding the trailer. Changing out the deck plywood and adding some other features.
    I needed something to use as a trailer stand since it didn't come with one. Something that would stable, simple, light weight and cheap.
    I made an 'A' frame out of two pieces of plywood using paracord as hinges and another piece of paracord to keep it from opening too far. All I have to do now is paint it with the same marine paint I'm using on the plywood deck.The stand will fold flat and store inside the trailer. The tongue sits in the notch I cut in the plywood.

Spyder Garage

As for the trailer, I've added some back up lights. The trailer has a stone guard in front so that will block the light from the fog light on my truck's bumper. I will have to make another connection to the truck's backup circuit to make these work when I'm in reverse.

3/2012 UPDATE. The trailer's back up lights are on a switch, not in the back up circuit. I tried tagging them into the truck's aux back up lights circuit and it blew the 10 amp fuse.
    So I didn't want to over tax the truck's wiring. I think it's better this way.
    way to go Fyi I though I could do similar lights on an '80 wrk truck I had. Ended up mounting a adjustable spot light (like mounted on cop cars) right in split of rear window, I could point it whoever I needed as I was backing up. Forgot the candle power but it was basically a high beam headlight on a mount with a toggle switch

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I added a couple of items that may "offend" some persons. Yes, they are brass! I couldn't find any in any local stores so I had to order some online from Bolt Depot. I got the big 1" size.

Spyder Garage

Since I'm a member of the GWRRA and they use CB while on their rides, I thought adding a CB to the Spyder was in order. I have also added the SENA Bluetooth to work with the CB.
    There was NO way I was buying the over priced BRP radio so I went with the Midland unit and the RAM parts needed to mount it. I also decided I wanted the option of a 2 meter ham radio. So, I made up a custom cable from SENA and Yaesu cables to connect the Yasue FT-270 to the SENA SR10 unit.
    The first photo shows the Midland on the right handle bar. The SM10 is mounted on the left handle bar. The PTT button is on the left grip.
    The second photo shows the Yaesu radio with the custom cable I made. The SENA cable made for Yaesu radios won't work with my radio. My Yaesu can be used in the rain, thus the special cable.

Spyder Garage

I did a mod on the RAM Mount radio holder. I cut out an area at the top so that the round part that is part of the Yaesu FT-270 for the belt clip snugs down into the holder.
    L
    Last edited by Cavman; 06-15-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default While on vacation something bad happened......

On vacation in CO and get a call from Captain Stephens of the Walker County Fire Dept letting me know my friend's Durango caught fire under my carport. He was there watering my gardens.
    So, my spiffy Alumna TK-1 Trailer is now toast.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Also my boat had a melt down. The fire also got to the the end of my house and did damage there as well. I guess at some point I'll be looking at getting another trailer?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fire at your place

Sure hope it isn't as bad as it looks in the pictures sent to you. But have a feeling it may be worse!!! Hopefully your insurance will help out. Hope you have a better vacation from this point on. All the MESS will be there when you get back. THEN you can cry over the "spilled milk". Consider the luck of the draw that the whole house didn't go up in flames!!!

Spyder Garage

In the first photo, the black mass was the spare tire. You can see the wheel and the bolt that held it on.

Spyder Garage

Default What a bummer!

What a bummer with the fire. Hope the insurance will cover a lot of your loss.

I really liked your TK-1 trailer.

Let us know as your replacement(s) proceed.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    It's where you connect the safety chains to the bike from the trailer.
    I'm not sure of the correct spelling, but the are called "cleco's" (at least in the military) and are use to hold pieces of sheet metal together so it stays in position for drilling holes and stuff.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Clecos is correct and their use. I have dozens of them of all kinds. They are in the garage which was not a problem with the fire.

Spyder Garage

On doing research, I decided against another aluminum trailer. I found an Alumnia dual axle, tilt bed with no brakes but they wanted around $6200 with the cheap steel wheels.
    So I looked around on line for a steel trailer. I found PJ Trailers and found one of their dual axle with electric brakes. Then I discovered they had a single axle with electric brakes. I'm figuring replacing two vs four tires in the future. All of the ones I was looking at have tilt beds. No more straining my lower back pulling out and putting the ramp back in!

I found Trailers For Less in Fayetteville, GA. I had them order one for me which took less than a month. The T-1 has a GVWR of 7000 pounds. That means I can also haul my Kubota tractor if I wish. It's also 63" between the wheel wells.image.jpgThe bed is 16 feet long plus the tongue.
    PJ Trailers has a great video of the product and why they came up with it. They show several vehicles driving up on it including a Spyder.
    I added an aluminum box for the wheel chocks and hold down gear. I added some of the round units like I had on the TK-1 trailer for when
    I take trash to the dump. There are two D rings in front and two at the rear. There is also a HD D ring at the center front to attach a winch to.