Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cavman's gettin' started

I got the LED Bolts wired into the tag light. Getting the tag light back together will be next. I also stuck on a Travel Bug for you Geocachers out there. It's named: 'BulSpyderByte'.DSC_9067s.jpgDSC_9068s.jpg

I've been bitten and there is no cure.

Spyder Garage

Added some driving lights. DSC_9071s.jpg

Spyder Garage

As for the trailer, I've added some back up lights. The trailer has a stone guard in front so that will block the light from the fog light on my truck's bumper.DSC_9074s.jpg I will have to make another connection to the truck's backup circuit to make these work when I'm in reverse.
    DSC_9070s.jpg

3/2012 UPDATE. The trailer's back up lights are on a switch, not in the back up circuit. I tried tagging them into the truck's aux back up lights circuit and it blew the 10 amp fuse.
    So I didn't want to over tax the truck's wiring. I think it's better this way.
    Last edited by Cavman; 03-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Looks great!

Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Looks good. I ordered the LED tag bolts as well . Just a little more bling.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Nice looking trailer. Care to provide some info on it..... Make /model/ price. Thanks.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Spyder Garage

The trailer is an Alumna TK-1. Someone on these forums had referred to the Alumna brand. I was wanting an aluminum trailer but I hadn't planned on spending that much on a trailer!
    There was a place in N. GA that had them for $2700. I found a dealer in Macon, GA that had them for $2600. I had arranged with my Discover Card people to be able to charge it on the card so that I could get the percentage back. That way I could just send the money to Discover after I got the trailer.
    While I was there, a woman was purchasing a spare tire for her trailer she had bought two years ago. I thought what a good idea. So I asked what would a spare be with a steel wheel, nothing fancy. He said since I was buying a trailer, $50.
    So, we went out the hook up the trailer and guy went and brought over a tubular front wheel chock. I told him what a Spyder was and that his chock wouldn't work. So he said he'd trade it for the spare tire. Cool, "free spare tire".
    I was looking at the hitch and asked them where the safety chains were? He stood back and took a picture of it to send to his distributor. Ooops!
    So they attached a set of safety chains.

The ramp is inside under the bed of the trailer. The back end of the deck slopes down about the last foot. The ramp slides out the rear after you release the two retaining pins on each side. Then you set it up on the retaining lip on the trailer. It has a lockable storage box built in the front of the stone guard.DSC_9069s.jpgDSC_9070s.jpgI bolted the spare tire to the back side of the storage box. There is a pin through the bolt inside in case someone wants to take the spare tire. It keeps the nut from coming off inside. There are four hold down rings built into the deck. You can see two of them in the side view pix. It has aluminum mag wheels and radial tires. The spare is a cheapy tire. I had to buy a "bling wrench" to be able to change a tire. Both mag wheels now have a special lug nut on them too.
    I may add some other LED strip lighting so I bought a sealed battery to be independent from the truck hookup.
    As you can see, it sits low to the ground for maybe easier loading?

So, I got several savings all around.
    Last edited by Cavman; 02-18-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Since I got my tag for the Spyder, I finished up what I had planned for the tag area. The tag holder has a scrolling message area on it. I also added two more SuperBrightLEDs bolt LEDs to the unit. It looks spiffy now.
    One of the messages reads: "Caution student driver". DSC_9086s.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    The trailer is an Alumna TK-1. Someone on these forums had referred to the Alumna brand. I was wanting an aluminum trailer but I hadn't planned on spending that much on a trailer!
    There was a place in N. GA that had them for $2700. I found a dealer in Macon, GA that had them for $2600. I had arranged with my Discover Card people to be able to charge it on the card so that I could get the percentage back. That way I could just send the money to Discover after I got the trailer.
    While I was there, a woman was purchasing a spare tire for her trailer she had bought two years ago. I thought what a good idea. So I asked what would a spare be with a steel wheel, nothing fancy. He said since I was buying a trailer, $50.
    So, we went out the hook up the trailer and guy went and brought over a tubular front wheel chock. I told him what a Spyder was and that his chock wouldn't work. So he said he'd trade it for the spare tire. Cool, "free spare tire".
    I was looking at the hitch and asked them where the safety chains were? He stood back and took a picture of it to send to his distributor. Ooops!
    So they attached a set of safety chains.

The ramp is inside under the bed of the trailer. The back end of the deck slopes down about the last foot. The ramp slides out the rear after you release the two retaining pins on each side. Then you set it up on the retaining lip on the trailer. It has a lockable storage box built in the front of the stone guard.DSC_9069s.jpgDSC_9070s.jpgI bolted the spare tire to the back side of the storage box. There is a pin through the bolt inside in case someone wants to take the spare tire. It keeps the nut from coming off inside. There are four hold down rings built into the deck. You can see two of them in the side view pix. It has aluminum mag wheels and radial tires. The spare is a cheapy tire. I had to buy a "bling wrench" to be able to change a tire. Both mag wheels now have a special lug nut on them too.
    I may add some other LED strip lighting so I bought a sealed battery to be independent from the truck hookup.
    As you can see, it sits low to the ground for maybe easier loading?

So, I got several savings all around.

Thanks for the information. I'll add it to my list.
    2011 RT LTD /MODS: Seal Floorboards, Elkas, SpyderPops Bump Skid and Block off plate, HMT Brake light, BajaRon's sway bar, Heim Links, Diamond R's passenger armrest, Utopia driver backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOVE the scrolling tag holder .. thats awesome !

Custom stock height carbon fiber wind screen
    Lamonster " custom" Spyder trunk decal
    Tricled Super white mini bulbs
    Tricled Cat eyes
    Spyderpops missing belt guard
    Custom Spyder Decals
    Carbon wheels
    PHANTOM * many other mods done *
    *Member of the Woodstock spyder ryders *

Spyder Garage

While I had the bike apart, I changed out the standard air filter with a K&N unit. I've used these for years in all of my cages.

Spyder Garage

The bolt LEDs I bought from www.superbrightLEDs.com several years ago. The ones on my Spyder are the smaller ones. I just happened to have four in red.

3/2012 Update: I've had to send a bunch of items back to SuperBrightLEDs lately. My personal opinion, I think their quality control has slipped. I had five out of six of the 10mm bolt LEDs, where mounting nut wouldn't unscrew off the threaded shaft.
    Last edited by Cavman; 03-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Got more done.DSC_9114s.jpgDSC_9120s.jpgDSC_9125s.jpgDSC_9130s.jpgDSC_9131s.jpg
    Got the GloRyders in stalled on the wheels. I chose amber to match the fender LEDs. Caught a photo of the TricLED 'A' arm signals working. Here are my HyTeck Wally World Driving Lights. Then there is the XM antenna mounted on the trunk lid with the cable 'secured' inside the lid area. I have a Delphi Roady with the power cord with the built in FM transmitter. I'll plug this in the power connector in the trunk. Then plug in the antenna. Set the FM frequency and can listen to the XM channel I have selected on my FM stereo. Of course anyone near me can also listen to the same FM frequency.

Spyder Garage

DSC_9124s.jpgGot the Garmin Zumo 550 up and working. It's not what I used to in Garmins. I may end up strapping one of my GPSMAP 76 units to my handlebars as a overall reference of mapping of the area.

I got a note back from Carlo at BRP that they don't give out technical advice to their customers about their products. Huh?
    I was asking about installing the head light modulator and where to connect it. I was given the part number for the shop manual and recommended to contact my dealer. So, I guess it's time I find a dealer?

Spyder Garage

With some back and forth with Harvey, I got my Bumpskid installed on my Spyder.Yea!

Spyder Garage

I had ordered several different things from SuperBrightLEDs this past month. Well, the black bolt LEDs that change color I installed in the lid of the tool box on the trailer. I had ordered six of the 10mm bolt LEDs in green. Five of them are defective in that the nut won't unscrew off the threaded shaft so I can't install them. I installed one in the back side of the tool box and it lights up half the deck. I have some from an order from years ago and I installed a white one on the other side.

I had also ordered one of those Striker Light Mine LED lights. When I went to install the batteries, part of the compartment broke off. Even if I held the parts together, it didn't work. I sent an e-mail about to the company about it.
    Well, they sent another one with a return mailing label. Well, the replacement one didn't work either, so I sent them both back with a note that I didn't want a third one. I mentioned the bad bolt LEDs in the letter.

This week I got a notice that they were sending me something. So, today the package arrived. I was thinking/hoping that I would get replacement bolt LEDs. NOT! They sent another Striker LED light. I will be sending the Striker and the five defective bolt LEDs back at my expense. I'm not sure what part of, "I don't want a third one" they didn't understand?
    --------------------------------
    I installed four of the Round Airline Track Style units on the deck of the trailer.DSCN1278s.jpgDSCN1279s.jpgDSCN1280s.jpgI purchased eight of these units from US Cargo Control. There is a set of four that they sell with free hardware.

Spyder Garage

I use the Ancra aircraft tie-downs in my trailer. They are great. Work from any angle, stronger than most tie-down rings, and when you take out the rings, they are low enough that you don't trip over them. That is important when the trailer doubles as our home when we are away. Good choice!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I used the round ones as not to trip over them and when loading the Spyder the tires would roll over them with no problem. US Cargo Control has the strips, sort of what's like what's used in aircraft to hold the seats or cargo. I've done repairs or replaced sections of seat tracks in heavy aircraft when I worked for Lockheed Aeromod decades ago in Greenville, SC.

I'll keep those Ancra tied downs in mind if I need some more. I will be using the trailer for other things and it's good to have other tie downs built in for more options.

Teddys favorite human CyncySpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Great Work on ALL the Mods & thanks SO Much for share'n with the rest of us

IMG_20120117_143833.jpg
    Teddy says you deserve a HIGH FIVE

Spyder Garage

I used the round ones as not to trip over them and when loading the Spyder the tires would roll over them with no problem. US Cargo Control has the strips, sort of what's like what's used in aircraft to hold the seats or cargo. I've done repairs or replaced sections of seat tracks in heavy aircraft when I worked for Lockheed Aeromod decades ago in Greenville, SC.

I'll keep those Ancra tied downs in mind if I need some more. I will be using the trailer for other things and it's good to have other tie downs built in for more options.
    The Ancra type is what you are using. Little round, slotted hump, with bolts that mount clear through the floor. Thumb release on the anchor rings. You're right, they are easy to roll over. They don't even hurt your feet when you walk on them barefoot in the night.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Whoa Nelly! I looked up "Ancra" on the internet and it came up with several sites that showed tie down straps.

I got the rest of the Ram mount parts the USPS lost for me last week. So, now I can set up my little Nikon to shoot video with sound. It won't shoot through the windshield, so I have to hang it out in the breeze. I will secure the lens cap and strap before getting under way. Here are a few setups I came up with.
    DSC_9133s.jpgDSC_9136s.jpgDSC_9142s.jpgDSC_9149s.jpg It's a 12MP camera and is light weight. It will shoot HD in I think 720 up to 29 minutes no matter what size card is in there.
    In the first photo, you can see the mount for my first generation non-HD GoPro HERO cam, on the dash.

Spyder Garage

Whoa Nelly! I looked up "Ancra" on the internet and it came up with several sites that showed tie down straps.
    The round one is what Ancra calls their "Bolt-on Fitting Kit". It is kind of an obscure part in their aircraft line. They make lots of hardware, fittings, and starps for aircraft, trucks, and other uses.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Added some yellow reflective tape to the trailer. DSCN1287s.jpgAlso I sewed up a cover bag for a pet carrier for Stumpy my ferret. Your dogs will stay put but it's in a ferrets nature not to stay put. They don't see very well so they don't see the danger of jumping from a moving Spyder. It has a snap down end piece and it's made of nylon with a coating. It's almost a rescue orange color. It looks yellow in this photo. It will be tied to the passenger handles. Stumpy will hang out in his hammock.
    DSCN1289s.jpgDSCN1294s.jpgMade a hammock that can have something snuggy added to it for the carrier.
    DSC_5037s.jpgThis is Stumpy. We may do a test drive with Stumpy in the travel loft tomorrow.
    Last edited by Cavman; 03-21-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Another project I've had in mind got built and installed today.
    I have had a XM Roady for a number of years. I have used it in a number of modes of transportation.
    Pickup trucks, camper and boat.

So I got some Kydex, laid out a pattern, drilled relief holes and bent it into a box shape with the help of a heat gun.
    I put some HD two way foam tape on the back and a hole for access to a screw that goes inside the trunk.DSCN1312s.jpgDSCN1313s.jpgDSCN1314s.jpgThe floor jack is great for forming bends in Kydex!
    Last edited by Cavman; 03-27-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

DSCN1317s.jpgDSCN1321s.jpgDSCN1323s.jpgDSCN1325s.jpg
    The extra at the top of the back panel, is for wrapping any extra cords to keep them out of harms way.