Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

DSCN1317s.jpgDSCN1321s.jpgDSCN1323s.jpgDSCN1325s.jpg
    The extra at the top of the back panel, is for wrapping any extra cords to keep them out of harms way.

Spyder Garage

Default kydex

i guess kydex is some type of plastic ? where do you get it ?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Coz, you can do a web search for Kydex. There are lots of places that sell it. I got mine from one the vendors of knife making parts some years ago.
    Kydex is the plastic material that some holsters are made of. Comes in many colors.

Spyder Garage

I tried to make a block off out of Kydex for the heat. Didn't really work out and I didn't want to kill a cookie sheet.

So I order the kit from Spyderpops.

I did remove the bottom panel as instructed. There was a connector that dropped out that is part of the radiator fan circuit. Can't have that dangling. So I modified the bottom panel cause I felt there needed to be something under there to keep road stuff from hitting under there.DSCN1352s.jpgIt's aluminum screen type stuff I got from the Homo Depot. If doesn't do well, I can replace the screen with hardware cloth as it's more durable.

I also added some LED strips I had thought of putting on my truck. I put them on the lower 'A' arms instead. I have applied some white reflective tape to the strip for more front visibility for oncoming traffic. They are applied at a slight upward angle too.DSCN1356s.jpgDSCN1357s.jpg They are tied into the controller for some flashin' action!

Spyder Garage

I had ordered a yellow Halo kit from Reggy last month. I put the two rear strips on the bottom inside of the saddlebags, facing down, instead of the trailing arms. One of these strips I discovered to be defective, as it was real dim. The other single short strip I put in the gap of the frunk lid bottom. The real long strip that is supposed to go on the frame has not been installed. I'm still pondering on that one. I have a bumpskid and it's been "skidding" under there. I don't want a LED strip to get scraped off!

I had ordered the controller kit with the Halo kit. I installed the three strips on channel #1. Wired them through the FuzeBox. Nothing happened?
    I took a bunch of photos, wrote some notes and sent this off to Reggy. He confirmed I had wired everything right. So with his suggestion, I used an alternative voltage source and check the other circuits.
    I found that channel #1 was bad and all the others were fine and working.

So, Reggy said he would send another controller. Got it today and sent the bad one along with the bad LED strip back to Reggy. He will be sending a replacement LED strip soon.

REGGY is da Man! Three cheers for Reggy! WooHoo! What great service!

Spyder Garage

I did a re-do of the underbelly screen. Didn't like the way the aluminum mesh screen was looking. It was what I had at the time when I installed the radiator air deflector. This time I used galvanized 1/2" Hardware Cloth for the screen. It's tougher and more rigid than what was on there.
    DSCN1524s.jpgDSCN1525s.jpgI attached the screen with small black zip ties. This is what it looks like installed from the underside.
    DSCN1526s.jpgDSCN1529s.jpgI'm thinking plenty of air will get through but with some protection of the underbelly of the Spyder as well.
    Last edited by Cavman; 05-31-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Radiator Air Deflector" ? Are you referring to SpyderPops coverplates or have you done somthing more on routing the hot air ?

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops cover plate...couldn't remember the correct name. I have CRS you know?
    Most people remove the bottom plastic cover thing and discard. When I did this, a connector dropped out. It was the electrical connector for the radiator fan. Don't know where it lives and don't need it falling out again to get snagged on something?
    Thus the hardware cloth screen incorporated with the plastic bottom cover.

Spyder Garage

Envy! Envy! Envy!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a small utility trailer that I modified some years ago in the last century the platform is 40" x 48". The fenders sick out another 6" on each side. The tires are about 15" in diameter. The box that I build is about three feet tall. On the right side, one of the boards swings down to the outside for easy loading. It also has at top hinged at the front and locks at the back with two hasps and padlocks. The tongue adds another three feet to the length.

I originally built it for toting scuba tanks, scuba gear, camping gear, coolers and such to free up the back of my older pickup for sleeping in. The stuff put in the trailer, it didn't matter if it got wet. I haven't used the trailer in years for what it was designed for, so why not convert it to something and I can make use of?

I have been thinking of taking the wood sides off and maybe bolting some sort of container on to the bed and towing that behind my Spyder? I don't want to go to the expense of purchasing another trailer since I own this one. I think it takes a 1-7/8" ball hitch?

Any thoughts on this idea? Good, bad or ugly?
    I will take a photo of what I have and post it here.

Spyder Garage

At the Spyder Ryder of America ride to ISCI a month or so ago, I saw an interesting Ram mount on someone's bike. So, upon some research I found the mount. It's a unit that will attach to our handle bars. I've been wanting a better mount that I wouldn't worry about falling off the big with one of my mapping GPS units.

So, I ordered one from GPS City and had it shipped to my friend in Texas since I was stopping to visit them on my way to Durango.

I mounted it on the left side handle bar and used it while out at the BRP event. Works great!DSCN1861s.jpgDSCN1862s.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    I have a small utility trailer that I modified some years ago in the last century the platform is 40" x 48". The fenders sick out another 6" on each side. The tires are about 15" in diameter. The box that I build is about three feet tall. On the right side, one of the boards swings down to the outside for easy loading. It also has at top hinged at the front and locks at the back with two hasps and padlocks. The tongue adds another three feet to the length.

I originally built it for toting scuba tanks, scuba gear, camping gear, coolers and such to free up the back of my older pickup for sleeping in. The stuff put in the trailer, it didn't matter if it got wet. I haven't used the trailer in years for what it was designed for, so why not convert it to something and I can make use of?

I have been thinking of taking the wood sides off and maybe bolting some sort of container on to the bed and towing that behind my Spyder? I don't want to go to the expense of purchasing another trailer since I own this one. I think it takes a 1-7/8" ball hitch?

Any thoughts on this idea? Good, bad or ugly?
    I will take a photo of what I have and post it here.

If you haven't already, get a car rooftop carrier (sears has some) and bolt it to your frame. Used to pull one years ago behind a Yamaha Virago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ohh my..!!

You sure have been busy. Done some great work. It is shaping up nicely. Thanks for all the pic's..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black