Thread: Scalp pain

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Scalp pain

After a while riding, I notice my helmet starts to kind of pull on my scalp, making the top of my head very uncomfortable.
    I'm a newer rider, so forgive me if this is painfully obvious (pun slightly intended), but what can be done about this? Not wearing a helmet is idiotic.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not try some Captain Morgan Rum?? You won't mind the discomfort!
    On a more serious note: your helmet probably just doesn't fit your noggin all that well. Do you notice a lot of pressure on the sides? Is there a particular spot on top where it just seems to lay a little heavier"? Is it simply too loose?
    If you notice any of this; (And I hate to say it!), you might need a new helmet! Hit a dealership where they've got lots of selections; then grab somebody who can help you decide which one fits the best. Once you find a size and brand that works; keep track of that info because it's worth its weight in Gold the next time you're shopping for a lid///
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually, it feels like it fits pretty well. Not too loose or tight. Only gets like that after an hour or more of riding, and usually straight down the top middle of my head, like someone is grabbing a handful of my hair and pulling on it.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

Spyder Garage

and second the motion. A new helmet needs a little breaking in--but continued pain--is not a good idea.

You may have to play around with brands and sizes--because sizes and fit are not uniform from brand to brand.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You might try some type of head covering under the helmet, such as a doo rag, or a polypro beanie.
    Dan

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    After a while riding, I notice my helmet starts to kind of pull on my scalp, making the top of my head very uncomfortable.
    I'm a newer rider, so forgive me if this is painfully obvious (pun slightly intended), but what can be done about this? Not wearing a helmet is idiotic.
    Got hair on the top? If not your helmet might be a little lose, Or more padding would be in order either way. Anyway if your helmet is uncomfortable you need to get a new one that works.

Spyder Garage

I've had a somewhat similar situation but with pain on both sides of my head. When I bought my Spyder in 2008, I also bought a Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet. I loved the thing: flat black and with an internal sunshade. The only problem was that on long rides (e.g., my first run to SITS) it really hurt on both sides of my head after, say, a couple of hours. It got so bad that I actually had to stop, remove the helmet and massage the painful areas on my head. Finally, it dawned on me that it was the shape of the helmet.

I then bought a Shoei and what a difference!!! It fit nicely like the Scorpion but I have NEVER had any pain anywhere with the Shoei. A year or so I mentioned all of this to BajaRon (wonderful guy) and he went through the various head-types that helmets need to be fitted to. Apparently, I have a round-ish head and the Scorpion was made for an oval type -- hence the pain.

My suggestion? Talk with BajaRon; he REALLY does know about all of this.

kt

Spyder Garage

Wish I had that problem.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Helmet fit is more art than science. There is far more to a good helmet than buying the "right" size. A helmet should contact the head evenly all around, and be snug, but not so tight that it restricts blood flow or so loose that it moves around without moving your scalp. When you try on a helmet, wear it around in the store for at least 15-20 minutes. Yes, you will look like a dork, but it takes some time to feel any hot spots or pressure points. If there are any such problems, that is not the helmet for you. Remember that different brands, and different models of the same brand often fit differently. The Arai line of helmets makes several different shapes, and can fit those like me and my wife that have a hard time finding a good fit in other helmets. Arai dealers and distributors are also trained in helmet fit, and they can provide valuable assistance if you get a good person to help. Try the national motorcycle shows (like the IMS) for the best helmet experts. Helmets with interchangeable cheek pads or adjustable cheek or temple pads can be purchased, and provide the next bext thing to a custom fit. I hope you can find a helmet that suits you better. It sounds like this is not the one.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

i ware a light base ball cap turned backwards and that dose the trick.or try the dew rag i see a lot of riders doing that.

Spyder Garage

Try the doo rag first. It's a lot cheaper than a new helmet. Also, doo rags are much easier to clean than the interior of the helmet. Keeps the helmet smelling better longer.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had that happen, pain got so bad after 30 min into the ride, I pulled over took my helmet off and found my spare pair of gloves.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Obviously, the first thing is proper helmet fit. I also use a helmet liner from LDcomfort. It keeps by head from sweating in the summer and warms it in the winter. I am also a big believer of their undergarments.
    http://ldcomfort.com/store/comfort-a...rt_direction=1
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Scalp Pain

I use a Roadgear Helmet Liner www.roadgear.com and work hot spots in the helmet styrofoam liner with a tablespoon or teaspoon to get relief at pressure points down the middle of my head. Got that tip from a helmet manufacture.
    I use helmets that fit the oval of my head, immaterial of brand or model. .Fit is the key. You can find good fitting suggestions at helmet websites ie.hjc, arai, shoei, etc.
    Safe Ryding....

Spyder Garage

Look at Arai they are very comfortable but a little pricey, another helmit that has made a big improvement is HJC. I had a half helmit that did that also, it hurt in the top front center of my head after a short time, every where else it fit fine. I would highly recommend a new helmit. try on the styles you like 1/2 3/4 or full. How to tell you have found the right helmit is you don't even know you have one on. Look around and don't buy the first one you try. If you can go to a bike meet they have several manufactures. Until then wear a doo rag or some kind of under helmit gear.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Yep, happened to me, I got a neon yellow Scorpian transformer and the sides just killed me. I've been riding for many years and have around 10 helmets, LOL. Sometimes it takes more then a try on and off to get the feel, I agree wear it around the shop while looking for goodies! I'm glad you said that riding without one is not an option. Like the others, try a doo rag or liner. In the summer, you can also get a "cool" rag. Be careful if you choose a ball cap, I had a friend who always wore a ball cap backwards. He was in an accident and the little button on top embedded in his scalp. However, the helmet saved his life. I know helmets are expensive, but you don't want to keep wearing one that takes away the joys of riding.

Spyder Garage

I have a friend that had this problem on one of our day rides. (I swear this is true), We had pulled over at an overlook to drink some water and look around and took off again. Within 20 miles or so he pulled over to the side of the road and took off his helmet and was feeling around on the inside of it with a confused look on his face. He put the helmet back on and off we went. At the next gas stop an hour later, he was complaining about his head hurting really bad on top. He had already mentioned loosing his sunglasses earlier at the overlook. You know where this is going,, his sunglasses were on top of his head!! The nose peices were embedded in his scalp, this was made even funnier as he is bald headed. This happened over a year ago and we still crack up over it. He had those indentions in his head till the next day.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I wanted a good shorty helmet, so I got a Seer. The same as those that cops where. Fit is great, light weight and well made. Check out their website.

Spyder Garage

Default Headaches and solutions

If the new helmet doesn't work, I would suggest you see a Headshrinker. They only do that one time and you definately will need a smaller helmet. I've got about 7 helmets in the garage. All fit ok, but my favorite is a Harley and it's like a good pair of gloves. I have a nice Nolan with the "upswinging" front. Put it on Friday and I guess I need to go to the Barber shop or to the headshrinker, much too tight on the sides. Have an old flashlight inserted in it full time to spread it and hopefully become more comfortable. That works a little, but not always. Good luck with finding the correct one - it's out there somewhere. I suppose Bill Gates and Warren Buffett go to a helmet company and have a mold made for their helmets. If you've got the $$, why not? A guy I know went to England to be fitted to the driver's seat in his new James Bond Austin Martin. There is always an answer somewhere
    Tuck