Thread: Flag holder

Spyder Garage

Default Flag holder

Interest in the Rivco flag holder prompted me to post this. The bent bracket allows me to bolt a Rivco flag holder to my hitch using the ball and the flag be closer to vertical. The material is 1/4" X 11/2" aluminum. Rivco has a system to mount 3 flags on a motorcycle hitch but specifically states not to use it on unsprung motorcycles. ie Can Am. IMG_7710.jpg
    Since the pole holder is welded at an angle, the flag is inclined way behind the bike: therefore a bent piece of aluminum brings it more vertical. IMG_0052.jpg
    We all have an end to journey toward
    however
    what will matter most
    in the end
    was the journey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Michael,

Thanks for the extra pics. Definitely KISS principle. Does the job without overbuild and leaves room for hitch to be used. I had been planning a trip to the local fabricator with pictures of Rivco's mount system in hand (since Rivco will not sell unpainted or black chromed). This idea will save me alot. Thank you!
    Last edited by Yol Bolsun; 02-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool, personally not a big fan of aluminum, but this looks stout, I only fly my flag when not attached to the trailer. So the pole is mounted in place of the ball.

{MY Mods: Blue-eyed Spyder}
    But wife says we will be flying flags and dragging trailer @ Spyderfest, better get busy on my spreader to tote the flags..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Cool, personally not a big fan of aluminum, but this looks stout, I only fly my flag when not attached to the trailer. So the pole is mounted in place of the ball.

{MY Mods: Blue-eyed Spyder}
    But wife says we will be flying flags and dragging trailer @ Spyderfest, better get busy on my spreader to tote the flags..
    C U there.

Spyder Garage

Default See Patriot Guard mission

for a GS/RS flag holder, look at the Patriot Guard mission thread

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Not in place of the ball, just ahead and held in place by the ball. So can have flag AND trailer.

Spyder Garage

Anyone got any ideas for a mount on the RT that doesn't have the hitch bar?
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

BTW, received my Rivco "Add-On Flag Socket Holder" yesterday. Looking forward to attending a PGR event appropriately "dressed" to honor brother and sister vets.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Me Too!!

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    Anyone got any ideas for a mount on the RT that doesn't have the hitch bar?
    Yes, I'd definitely be interested in this too if anyone has any ideas. I have a 2010 RT-A w/o the hitch...

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Yes, I'd definitely be interested in this too if anyone has any ideas. I have a 2010 RT-A w/o the hitch...
    Me too
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2009 RS and would like ideas on flag holders. I ride PGR and really want to run big flags on the bike (3' x 5'), but can't afford the BRP trailer hitch to work off of (and don't intend to ever purchase a trailer, so would be $$$ overkill just as a flagholder base).

Presently running parade flags (10" x 15") using RIVCO's FH100 license plate mount and talked RIVCO into selling me two extra poles to get the height up enough that the flags catch wind and less road grime. Went to the local hardware store and bought connectors to connect the poles. Poles are stainless steel and have been no problem at highway speeds -- good and rigid.

I do have the Corbin trunkbox and Corbin saddlebags on my bike, so have to work around those as well when considering angle.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Starrider <Floyd>...was gracious enough to build one for me like the one he has on his RS. It's terrific..sturdy and allows for 2 flags...maybe he'll do one for you if you ask nicely... Here's a link to his thread on the holder...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=flag+pole

Spyder Garage

This seems to be a great idea. I will have to look at the Rivco site about attaching it to Spyder. I have used upright to the hitch for over a year with no real problems, except I had to make a hard plastic spacer for the difference in bolt size holes. (No metal ability).
    Thanks for the information.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Looks like his design could work for me and I have locals who could build it. THANKS!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STUNMUN View Post
    Interest in the Rivco flag holder prompted me to post this. The bent bracket allows me to bolt a Rivco flag holder to my hitch using the ball and the flag be closer to vertical. The material is 1/4" X 11/2" aluminum. Rivco has a system to mount 3 flags on a motorcycle hitch but specifically states not to use it on unsprung motorcycles. ie Can Am. IMG_7710.jpg
    Since the pole holder is welded at an angle, the flag is inclined way behind the bike: therefore a bent piece of aluminum brings it more vertical. IMG_0052.jpg
    I tried to talk to somebody at Rivco, but got nowhere. But I found some propblems with my set up yesterday. The mount has loosened somewhat on a mission. Not sure if wind ( 40 MH gusts ) or some thing wearing out. In any case I am thinking about a trailer. Question is, Anybody making these for sale ? Does anyone have dementions, angle of bend, spacing of holes.
    Thanks for any information. It appears to be better then mine.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like. Still waiting on my ESCI tall 2 pole flag holder. Was supposed to ship this week, but didn't. We are wanting to join the Patriot Guard and want all flag holding options that are available. We do have the BRP hitch, so that would work in our favor. Thanks for the post!
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After receiving a bracket from Stunmun, I decided I wanted something, shall I say, more substantial. Using his concept, I came up with the following;
    FlagpoleMount KISS2.jpg

The 5 degree drop counters the 15 degree cant of the RIVCO PF920 nicely when mounted on the Spyder hitch.

Took the above drawing to my local fabricator and he produced this in stainless steel. I am still debating on powdercoating or natural.
    FPMKiss2.jpg

Note: pins in drawing ensure position (of mount to hitch and Rivco socket to mount) when tightened.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Yol Bolsun; 04-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Spyder Garage

Could someone tell me what size the bolt extending from the bottom of the RIVCO PF920 add on flag holder is?
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yol Bolsun View Post
    After receiving a bracket from Stunmun, I decided I wanted something, shall I say, more substantial. Using his concept, I came up with the following;
    FlagpoleMount KISS2.jpg

The 5 degree drop counters the 15 degree cant of the RIVCO PF920 nicely when mounted on the Spyder hitch.

Took the above drawing to my local fabricator and he produced this in stainless steel. I am still debating on powdercoating or natural.
    FPMKiss2.jpg

Note: pins in drawing ensure position (of mount to hitch and Rivco socket to mount) when tightened.
    Yol..You ever get this produced...I like the concept and would like to see a 2 flag version so I can also carry the POW/MIA flag....Larry

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebadwolf View Post
    Yol..You ever get this produced...I like the concept and would like to see a 2 flag version so I can also carry the POW/MIA flag....Larry
    Larry, nothing planned for production. Hence the drawing for anyone interested to take to their local fabricator.