Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Installation of Oxford Heated Grips

I am in the process of installing Oxford heated grips. The left grip came off easily and was easy to put on. I have the right grip off. The right grip with the throttle sleeve won't go on for me.

I am afraid to break the throttle sleeve if I force it further. Have an of you guys put on these grips successfully?

Thanks for the help.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oxford Heated Grips

Oxford grips are great, one of the best options for the $$ you can add since somehow Heated Grips are not standard equipment. If I remember correctly, I had to slightly trim the ribs on the throttle tube being careful not to trim too much, They were very snug going on but have not twisted on me so far. I put the control switch on the clutch side using the two bolts that hold the clutch perch, this required bending the bracket that comes with it around "backwards" plus I painted it black so it matches. I put the other black box in the space just above the battery which it is wired directly to. I sort of wish I had found a switched circuit since I have left them on breifly but not enough to discharge the battery very much. I added them on a KLR650 also, I used a switched circuit so I never have to worry about leaving them on. Heated grips should be stock with built in factory switches on these things but I have figured out after a few months of ownership...this ain't no BWM, good luck with the install, it is worth the trouble, just add a nice heated jacket and you can ride anytime.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wattsmyname View Post
    Oxford grips are great, one of the best options for the $$ you can add since somehow Heated Grips are not standard equipment. If I remember correctly, I had to slightly trim the ribs on the throttle tube being careful not to trim too much, They were very snug going on but have not twisted on me so far. I put the control switch on the clutch side using the two bolts that hold the clutch perch, this required bending the bracket that comes with it around "backwards" plus I painted it black so it matches. I put the other black box in the space just above the battery which it is wired directly to. I sort of wish I had found a switched circuit since I have left them on breifly but not enough to discharge the battery very much. I added them on a KLR650 also, I used a switched circuit so I never have to worry about leaving them on. Heated grips should be stock with built in factory switches on these things but I have figured out after a few months of ownership...this ain't no BWM, good luck with the install, it is worth the trouble, just add a nice heated jacket and you can ride anytime.
    I just installed heated grips on our two RS's I picked the element type so I could use the stock grips the element in grip type are harder plastic, Anyway try rubbing achocal and a shot of air to float the grips on