Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: settle a bet?

Spyder Garage

Default settle a bet?

When you get another spyder is it okay to transfer a gremlin Bell or not?

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
    Interesting, do I need a Gremlin Bell?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bet

For $5 I'll tell you. Sorry, the voices made me sent that.
    Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ok whats a gremlin bell?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'd transfer a bell from one bike to another...
    But ideally your friends would have a new one waiting for you and your new bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Legend of the Gremlin Bell
    As the story goes, an old gray-beard was riding home from Mexico, with saddlebags loaded full of toys and trinkets for some kids in an orphanage near where he lived. It was a cold night in the high deserts just north of the border. As he rode he thought of rides past, epic journeys with long lost friends and the many nights just like this spent in the saddle.
    Ahead in the small beam of his old headlamp he thought he saw something. As he rode on it appeared again, this time there were more of them. Tiny little creatures that seemed to dart in and out of the beam as fast as the wind. They were dark little dodgy spirits, quick, and all but translucent in the moonlight—they were road gremlins. Before he could react they were on the bike. As he mashed on the brakes the front tire blew, and the old rear drum brake that had served him well for years locked up.
    When he came to he was nearly ten yards from his bike. One saddle bag had been torn loose and was lying next to him in the cold, hard packed dirt. In the light of the moon he could see his bike, the little spirit like road gremlins dancing on top. He raised himself up to his elbows, where he could see them more clearly, and they caught a glimpse of him too. That’s when they began to approach. Slowly, almost curiously, they stalked towards him. As they advanced he picked up the only thing that was within reach, the saddle bag, and began to wave it at them trying to keep them at bay. From inside the bag came a ringing noise.
    He noticed that if he shook the bag the little gremlins would fall back, plugging their ears in retreat. He quickly unstrapped the bag and dug out two sleigh bells from a set of toy reindeer buried in the bag. As he knelt there shaking the bells the gremlins retreated off into the darkness.
    As if attracted like a moth to a flame, two staggered lights approached from the distance, and came upon the lone rider in the darkness. To the lone rider they seemed like angels coming upon him with wings, guided by the sound of the bells. The two riders helped the old gray-beard brush himself off and gather his belongings. They set up camp and talked long into the night, about the old man’s brush with the road gremlins, and of many rides past. The old man offered to pay, but as-is biker tradition, the two men would not accept any form of repayment.
    In the morning the men helped the gray-beard patch his tire and limp to a little service station in the next town. Again, as they prepared to go their separate ways, the men refused payment. The old man had suspected this, so in the early morning hours just before dawn, he had awakened and attached two bells, one to each of his angel rider’s bikes. As the old man watched his new friends roll out of the dusty service station driveway, he thought he could hear the ringing of bells over the low rumble of the bikes.
    Epilogue
    There are many variations of the ride bell legend, and almost as many ways to tell it as there are bikers to tell the tale. Like many other time honored stories of past, in the beginning it was passed on through word of mouth, from one biker to the next.
    In a way, this story is just like any true biker, it doesn’t matter how you dress it, the core of the story remains. Protection is offered in the generosity of friends or in random acts of brotherhood along the road. The spirit of camaraderie and brotherhood between bikers is what the ride bell encompasses.
    Last edited by BlueKnight; 01-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I say as long as it was given to you as a gift, then YES! It was given to you not the bike

Legend of the bell;
    http://www.helmetsetc.com/legend-bell.asp

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Im going to go buy a few bells for the people im riding down to spyder fest with .... damn thats cool as hell .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got mine from a friend who rides a Tri-Glide... and he got his from me! A great way to cement the bonds of fellowship among bikers!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the history lesson. Im gettin one.

Now as far as transfering....If your bike was having strange issues, and u got the bell to ward off these issues, then it belongs with the bike.

If this bell has been with you and many bikes before, gard it with your life....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I transferred mine from my HD to a BMW to the GS and now it's on the RT. I've never had any major issues with any bike.

Spyder Garage

I tranasferred mine from the 2008 GS to the 2010 RTS--as it was given to me by a friend.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well I'd transfer a bell from one bike to another...
    But ideally your friends would have a new one waiting for you and your new bike!
    I'm still waiting for a gremlin bell from you Bob.

Visionary Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, so now that everybody knows about the gremlin bell....Where do you all hang yours on the Spyder???

Turkey Slayer
    Spyder Garage

Default More importantly

What color did you decide on for your new Spyder?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    OK, so now that everybody knows about the gremlin bell....Where do you all hang yours on the Spyder???
    Mine was givin to me by a HD riding friend, and I will transfer it with me. In regards to where I hang mine, on my lower right A-arm. I was told the lowest spot on the bike you can.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I never used [had] a gremlin bell, got enough bells ringing in my head.
    Although many years ago i did stick a small retriever bell under my brothers dashboard to drive him nuts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joe schmoe View Post
    From the brake pedal arm.

Spyder Garage

Oh no bell must stay with bike. Someone must buy u a new one for your new bike. Hang it whoever you can that is low enough but not so low it drags. Check on it periodically as it can fall off. If u lose it you cannot buy the replacement...someone must get it for u!!

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

I would think the bell has to stay with the bike.

My last four machines had Gremlin bells and all stayed on when I sold them. The current one on my RT is a gift from my wife and when she traded in her 2010 the bell stayed with that bike too.

I gave her a new one for the '12 Lava Bronze.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

P
    Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    I'm still waiting for a gremlin bell from you Bob.
    PM me with an address... I'd be honored to get you one!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    I say as long as it was given to you as a gift, then YES! It was given to you not the bike

Legend of the bell;
    Is there a vendor at Spyderfest or does Cowtown sell Gremlin bells? After reading about the history of the bell it says the powers are doubled if you receive it as a gift. Maybe since it would be going on a Spyder it would be tripled I would like to purchase one to give as a gift, and since I don't have one (hint hint) maybe at Spyderfest................

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

does it matter what kind of bell ????

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

the bell is given to the person ( driver/Ryder ) and not what the ride is.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post

Legend of the bell;
    I agree with Steve on this one.