Spyder Garage

Default Daytona Bike Week Question For Locals

Folks....

I've been thinking of riding down for Daytona Bike Week but the motels near the site are WAY out of my price range. A couple of months ago, I asked on the general forum for advice about lodging and a number said "Get away from the beach". Orange City, Deltona were suggested as far enough a way to get somewhat lower prices. However, Google map tells me that these places are 20+ miles from Daytona. That seems like a good deal of riding back and forth from the motel to the Bike Week sites.

Is that your thinking as well. Is I-4 an easy ride with moving traffic or basically a parking lot? I'm not sure what the "rhythm" of Bike Week is. Are attendees riding a good deal, wandering around sales areas, chatting all day with owners at the BRP tent, etc.? In other words, will I leave my motel in the morning and return late at night or will I be running back and forth?

I've been to Americade and basically you ride everywhere. Thus, parking and eating become a chore because you have to ride to get where you are going. That, at least, was my experience. Is this what Bike Week is like as well?

As it is, I won't be able to attend if I can't find cheaper lodging than that on the beach. On the other hand, I don't want to have to ride the 20+ miles to my motel a few times a day.

My plan is to arrive there on the 11th and stay until the 15th -- four nights (one motel wanted $1000 plus $111 in tax!).

I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice you can give me.

kt -- a NJ Brother

Spyder Garage

Ken. traffic moves fast on that section of i4.. I live 75 miles away in clermont and I commute back and forth - over in early morning, back in evening.. have never had any desire to leave once I got there.. People seem to do a blend of visiting vendors, demo rides, scenic rides, lots of drinking (not so much spyder people) , I don't really recall anyone I know going back to their motel rooms during the day... sometimes there will be lots of folks to chat with at BRP area, other times virtually no one (weather is a big factor on given days). there are so many vendors you could walk miles just visiting half of them. The venues are spread out a bit - approx eight major locations of activity and the traffic in town between areas is usually very heavy.

When the time gets closer you might want to check the florida forum to see what get togethers/rydes are planned by locals

don't think you will find any decent priced rooms in Daytona.. they are used to taking advantage of the bikers so continue the practice. that's part of the reason for declining attendance each year
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I had suggested Deltona/Best Western because they had (emphasis added) a very clean motel, fantastic restaurant and you were just about 20 minutes from the speedway in Daytona. You are also close to Deland that has it's bike week events, etc. Additionally, you are about 30 minutes from Orlando. Bottom line is that you would be centrally located to everything.

If you're one to like an ocean view though, then I would get some place north of Daytona. I think I suggested Flagler beach and up. There are some beach side motels that price wise aren't extravagant with a beautiful view of the ocean. Again, you're about 20 minutes or less from the speedway.

I personally (blame it on getting older) would not get a place in Daytona. You'll get clipped in my opinion.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Even though you are getting older Chris LOL that is a first rate recommendation and should be considered by anyone coming down from the north who does not want to get ripped off...
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Default Many, Many Thanks

Florida Folk....

I just wanted to thank those who responded to my query about lodgings for Bike Week. I have a room in Sanford and without a restrictive cancellation policy. Actually, I never thought much about staying on the beach (I live outside of Atlantic City so have some idea about crowds, lines and inflated prices) but got spooked by some folks I know who warned me about the "hour-long rides in heavy traffic" if I got lodging away from the beach.

You, very helpfully set me straight, and I reserved a nice room in Sanford.

A good suggestion was to keep my eyes on this local site in case you Florida folk plan a ride or meetup. I suspect that after a day of wandering in Daytona, I'll be ready to clear my mind with a ride.

So, thanks again and I'll look for you all at the BRP tent. You've been wonderfully helpful.

ken tompkins

Spyder Garage

I booked a room yesterday right on Speedway for a pretty good deal, best I've ever seen in the 12 years since I've been going to Daytona. Still some good deals out there.

http://www.resfetch.com/connect/book...03%2F10%2F2012

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I had suggested Deltona/Best Western because they had (emphasis added) a very clean motel, fantastic restaurant and you were just about 20 minutes from the speedway in Daytona. You are also close to Deland that has it's bike week events, etc. Additionally, you are about 30 minutes from Orlando. Bottom line is that you would be centrally located to everything.

If you're one to like an ocean view though, then I would get some place north of Daytona. I think I suggested Flagler beach and up. There are some beach side motels that price wise aren't extravagant with a beautiful view of the ocean. Again, you're about 20 minutes or less from the speedway.

I personally (blame it on getting older) would not get a place in Daytona. You'll get clipped in my opinion.

Chris
    I have a room at Hampton Inn in the Debary/Deltona area. Hopefully I can hook up with others for the ride to Daytona.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Daytona Week

I also got a room right across from the speedway for reasonable price. I am there to ride the track on the 17th.