Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SPYDERPOPS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I want to order one of these Bumpskids but have heard that it may increase the bikes temperature ...anyone have more info on this for me or experienced an increased temperature on the bike once they have installed the Spyderpops bumpskid?
    NO!!!! The BumpSkid does not raise the operating temperature on the RT or RS. The extra lip around the leading edges increases the flow of air into the radiators.

There was a discussion about the ambient temp gauge showing a higher temp after installing the BumpSkid, but when I have investigated this with over 10 different RT 's I still haven't found one registering a higher room temp.

Hundreds of satisfied customers with no increases in operating temps.

Harvey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I want to order one of these Bumpskids but have heard that it may increase the bikes temperature ...anyone have more info on this for me or experienced an increased temperature on the bike once they have installed the Spyderpops bumpskid?
    I've had mine installed for the past year. If anything, it may have helped reduce the temp with the increased & efficient air flow. I think it may have also increased my gas mileage. It also saved me some damage to the front air dam.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well I just trotted this past the "Financial Oversight Committee" and she finds it intriguing... It looks as if it could keep the front end safe!
    So now it's a waiting game on the cash...
    There's yet another item for your Xmas list!!!!
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Since I have installed mine the ambient temp shown on the bikes screen is DEFINITELY & CONSISTENTLY at least 15 degrees higher! I rode last week and the temp out was 31 degrees and the bikes shown outside ambient temp NEVER went below 55 degrees. For some reason my bike may be different but the results are accurate, consistent & reproducible! I did remove the OEM shield and followed the install exactly. I cannot understand why mine is this way and some are not!

Just sayin!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

The display ambient temperature does seem to run higher with the BumpSkid, but the engine water temperature does not.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 12-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Since I have installed mine the ambient temp shown on the bikes screen is DEFINITELY & CONSISTENTLY at least 15 degrees higher! I rode last week and the temp out was 31 degrees and the bikes shown outside ambient temp NEVER went below 55 degrees. For some reason my bike may be different but the results are accurate, consistent & reproducible! I did remove the OEM shield and followed the install exactly. I cannot understand why mine is this way and some are not!

Just sayin!
    Easy way to find out is to remove the bump skid and then check it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    There's yet another item for your Xmas list!!!!
    Already working on Christmas, 2018...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

my input to this is i have everything spyderpops offer for the rt and that includes both block-off plates and i haven't had a problem at all with it running extremely hot i would say that it proably ran one bar higher than normal but that would be it and that was put to the test in this texas heat this year.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Spyder Garage

Exclamation

For clarification!

Let me make it clear that the bike does not run hotter with the bumpskid! It is only the ambient (outside air temp) as it reads on the display.
    The bike engine temperature is fine. I want to make it clear that the bumpskid is an amazing product and does exactly as promised! It's terrific protection for the bottom as well as the leading edge! I would easily sacrifice the ambient temp reading for the protection this product provides!!
    Last edited by bmwlarry; 12-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The displaye ambient temperature does seem to run higher with the BumpSkid, but the engine water temperature does not.

The engine is liquid cooled using coolant running thru a radiator (ie. like your car) not air cooled (ie like your lawn mower). Not sure why the outside ambient air temp would read higher.....this makes no sense given the bump skid has NOTHING to do with the air temp sensor sensing the "outside air" (not engine temp).

Not sure where the confusion began....

Spyder Garage

Default Bump Skid

I have checked my outside air temp on the display alot before in stalling the bump skid. It was always higher then the outside temp.
    After the skid if the temp change I have not noticed.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

I have often wondered where the temp sensor is on my RSS. My temp is always higher than outside temp. Anyone know where the sensor is??
    Last edited by SllimG; 12-28-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    I have often wondered where the temp sensor is on my RSS. My temp is always higher than outside temp. Anyone know where the sensor is??
    On my RS it was on the right side of the frunk under the tupperware,had to disconnect to remove frunk when in put in power outlet.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    You should be able to see it by looking in the right side vent below the foglight.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I wonder just how the airflow IS affected...
    (Not that it's gonna knock these babies off of my Wish-List!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Phyxius's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Any time I read "easy", "drill", and "remove" all in one description I get paranoid. Can I buy one at SpyderFest and pay someone to install it for me?!?! Please?

Actually I'm happy to pay for it at anytime but would really, really like someone to install it
    -Christina
    2012 RT-S Blue
    Photographer and horse rider.
    2012 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm the same way you were, especially when the said "drill" but I did install it myself. It really was fairly easy, just took a couple of hours and looks great. My biggest obstacle was how to get the spyder lifted, finally borrowed a MC jack and it worked great.

Spyder Garage

Come on guys. Don't let it scare you! It is very straight forward after you get it off the ground. Remove the existing OEM part. Temporarily attach bumpskid to existing holes. Use bumpskid holes as pilots for new bumpskid bolts, remove bumpskid, slide on new clips and reattach bumpskid. Nothing bad about it at all.
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Come on guys. Don't let it scare you! It is very straight forward after you get it off the ground. Remove the existing OEM part. Temporarily attach bumpskid to existing holes. Use bumpskid holes as pilots for new bumpskid bolts, remove bumpskid, slide on new clips and reattach bumpskid. Nothing bad about it at all.
    It was a real pain in the butt for me when I installed mine, but then I put down some padding to lay on and it was fine. I agree, it is a real easy instal.

What I found to work best was to instal one of the rear bolts on each side first, then one front bolt in the middle to hold it in place. Then instal the other two rear bolts, and follow with the font half from rear to front. Once you have all the bolts in and started. Tighten them up from rear to front, and switch from side to side to keep pressure even.

Of course this was after doing as bmwlarry instructed on how to drill the pilot holes.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I just ordered this. Would I be able to install this myself or would it be better if I had someone install it for me? I like to attempt things but I sure don't want to screw anything up on my RT.

Spyder Garage

If you have a good (safe) way to lift the Spyder high enough to get under it for the install I would say go for it!

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default BumpSkid

great product and well worth the price

You can now go to WWW.SPYDERPOPS.COM AND ORDER.

BumpSkidTM

Ultimate protection for your Spyder RT Roadster!

Dual purpose, functions as a bumper and skid plate with the look of a stylish spoiler.

Your worries are over, no more expensive paint damage.

No more dangerous evasive moves to miss roadkill or tire treads and if a live small critter jumps out in front of you, well you know.

Made from 3/8” black UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) Polyethylene, tough and slick. Replaces that tiny skid plate the lets you tear up your body.

It attaches to the lower flexible area for impact absorption without damaging the body.

Ground clearance is not a problem due to the thin profile. It protects everything from the nose to the suspension.

The coverage eliminates air drag from the open cavity under the nose.
    Added down force is created by the spoiler styling.

Very easy to install with all hardware and instructions included.

A bargain at $159.00 + Priority USPS shipping of $19.50 domestic, Canada & Mexico Priority USPS shipping $34.00, All other countries Priority USPS shipping $62.00.[/QUOTE]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I've had mine on for 6 mos. Last week I pulled it off to install Baja Rons sway bar. Noticed that the 12 screws provided were rusting so I ordered and installed stainless ones from Fastenal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    I've had mine on for 6 mos. Last week I pulled it off to install Baja Rons sway bar. Noticed that the 12 screws provided were rusting so I ordered and installed stainless ones from Fastenal.
    So $159 and 12 screws that rust after 6 months? Maybe stainless or better coated screws should be provided.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default bumpskid

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERPOPS View Post

You can now go to WWW.SPYDERPOPS.COM AND ORDER.

BumpSkidTM

Ultimate protection for your Spyder RT Roadster!

Dual purpose, functions as a bumper and skid plate with the look of a stylish spoiler.

Your worries are over, no more expensive paint damage.

No more dangerous evasive moves to miss roadkill or tire treads and if a live small critter jumps out in front of you, well you know.

Made from 3/8” black UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) Polyethylene, tough and slick. Replaces that tiny skid plate the lets you tear up your body.

It attaches to the lower flexible area for impact absorption without damaging the body.

Ground clearance is not a problem due to the thin profile. It protects everything from the nose to the suspension.

The coverage eliminates air drag from the open cavity under the nose.
    Added down force is created by the spoiler styling.

Very easy to install with all hardware and instructions included.

A bargain at $159.00 + Priority USPS shipping of $19.50 domestic, Canada & Mexico Priority USPS shipping $34.00, All other countries Priority USPS shipping $62.00.

Do you have any that fits a 2015 RSS?