Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I don't get it?? Why would any want a Ham radio on a bike???? I don't even want an intercom….
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Only ham I want on mine is a sandwich with lettuce,tomato.

Spyder Garage

Default Extra class

K1VTR. ( Vacumn Tube Radio)
    Falmouth Amature Radio Association

Wow, a lot of hams on Spyders

Duck
    Michael Spivack
    2007 Goldwing
    2012 RT Limited Lava (traded 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Utopia Backrest, Hi mounter tail light, FZ1 fuse box, aux power outlet, CB and Gerbing outlets
    2014 RT Limited Cognac (purchased 5/2/14)
    RT Mods.
    Cup holder, Spyder Backrest, 2012 CB and Gerbing outlets
    GWRRA
    Cape Cod, Ma.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I've got a Yaesu FTM-10R dual band VHF/UHF rig to install. Just need he time to get to it. It uses bluetooth, so I plan on interfacing it with my Scala G9s. Control hea is really small an I will put in the factory GPS location an the main radio under the seat.

de K3SK
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

RodMyers

KG6ANX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2M SSB

KC5EDK, Never thought about operating on the Spyder. Now would be a good reason to drag the trailer all the time. It can carry extra PS and mount my Halo. I have not seen a bugcatcher mounted yet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the same question.

I am wondering if there is someway to either disconnect or A/B the CB and somehow wire my ham radio so I can use the PTT button and talk and listen through my Helmet Mic and Speakers.

I have a 2010 RT-S with the ICOM system and I am hard wired to the bike using the J&M Headset and adapter cable.

Marc
    KA2GIW
    marcftl@gmail.com

Spyder Garage

N1OTS here. I used to have 2/440 on my Goldwing.

But for the spyder lets see
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Blue tooth dongle from sena for PTT radios

Quote Originally Posted by MarcFTL View Post
    I had the same question.

I am wondering if there is someway to either disconnect or A/B the CB and somehow wire my ham radio so I can use the PTT button and talk and listen through my Helmet Mic and Speakers.

I have a 2010 RT-S with the ICOM system and I am hard wired to the bike using the J&M Headset and adapter cable.

Marc
    KA2GIW
    marcftl@gmail.com
    This dongle this very similar to what BRP is now using and gives a way to use the PTT on the handlebar

Don
    N7WOL

[

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

KB0XR first licensed in 1959 as KN0QZK

Spyder Garage

Default ham

N1RDH - Vanity Call Sign - General

Cyn - better half - K4CYN also vanity - tech
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Default WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I don't get it?? Why would any want a Ham radio on a bike???? I don't even want an intercom….

Same reason we would a ham any where, comunacate, get or report weather, in any emergency a ham radio works when cell phones fail. AND the list continues.....
    I'd rather be on 3 wheels, but 18 pays the BILLs!
    We are a two SpYder family!

N1RDH

Spyder Garage

Default Me too

KG5CFK Just got my 2012 RT yesterday. I would like to just mount my handheld beofong and be done with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmedic View Post
    KG5CFK Just got my 2012 RT yesterday. I would like to just mount my handheld beofong and be done with it.

Best and easiest thing to do is buy the SENA SR10 and "be done with it".
    de K3SK
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    I've got a Yaesu FTM-10R dual band VHF/UHF rig to install. Just need he time to get to it. It uses bluetooth, so I plan on interfacing it with my Scala G9s. Control hea is really small an I will put in the factory GPS location an the main radio under the seat.

de K3SK
    I've got 2 of the same rig, FTM-10R, I got specifically for my bikes, I just haven't taken the time to mount them. I am trying to decide how and which antenna to mount. Around here most folks stay on 2 meter, so my antenna choices will primarily be for those frequencies, I've also got the bluetooth installed on one of them, so intercom won't be a problem, either. I'm thinking of running the main unit in the trunk, or saddlebag, and run the extension under the seat to the glove box with the head mounted inside, for security. Not sure whether I want to run it full time hot, or turned off with the ignition.
    I couldn't have chosen a better callsign than the one the FCC assigned to me, being a retired Army medic, if you take the region number out of my call it becomes KILL U, KI4LLU, how cool is that, lol.
    I'll be watching this thread to find out the antenna choices y'all come up with.

Doc

Spyder Garage

General Class
    KB5EZQ

73's
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor View Post
    I've got 2 of the same rig, FTM-10R, I got specifically for my bikes, I just haven't taken the time to mount them. I am trying to decide how and which antenna to mount. Around here most folks stay on 2 meter, so my antenna choices will primarily be for those frequencies, I've also got the bluetooth installed on one of them, so intercom won't be a problem, either. I'm thinking of running the main unit in the trunk, or saddlebag, and run the extension under the seat to the glove box with the head mounted inside, for security. Not sure whether I want to run it full time hot, or turned off with the ignition.
    I couldn't have chosen a better callsign than the one the FCC assigned to me, being a retired Army medic, if you take the region number out of my call it becomes KILL U, KI4LLU, how cool is that, lol.
    I'll be watching this thread to find out the antenna choices y'all come up with.

Doc
    The only antenna that will work is something that is 1/2 wave for 2 meters because of no ground plane. I think mine is Diamond dual-band. Radio is mounted in the frunk on the right side rear wall. On my limited, its behind thr zipper on the frunk lining. Antenna ia mounted on the back left side where there wasa spot for a 2nd antenna, opposite the factory radio antenna. I used a stick on mount because of limited mounting options. I'll try and get some close-up photos and post them.

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    The only antenna that will work is something that is 1/2 wave for 2 meters because of no ground plane. I think mine is Diamond dual-band. Radio is mounted in the frunk on the right side rear wall. On my limited, its behind thr zipper on the frunk lining. Antenna ia mounted on the back left side where there wasa spot for a 2nd antenna, opposite the factory radio antenna. I used a stick on mount because of limited mounting options. I'll try and get some close-up photos and post them.
    Thanks

Doc

Spyder Garage

Default Yaesu FTM-10R Install on 2012 RT LTD

First - Why the H--L is this thread in the Oregon board? I couldn't find it to post the below pictures.

Here is my ham radio install on my 2012 RT Ltd.

This is where I installed the main chassis of the FTM-10R. It's behind the frunk liner.

I had to make the hole for the wires to enter and exit the frunk and drill 2 holes for the radio mounting bolts.

The control head sits on top of the dash next to my relocated GPS. The cable to the main unit tucks up under between the two sections of dash. You need to make a small cut-out for the wire to pass through.

As I said earlier, the antenna is a dual-band Diamond. The model is a NR770HA mounted where the filler plug for a second antenna is located on the left side.

The mount I use is the HRK stick on mount. I trimmed off both ends of the mount to make it shorter so it fit and looked better on the Spyder. The antenna wire is fed down through the mount center into the antenna opening and routed to the front where the main radio chassis is located in the frunk.

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Default HAM RADIO

I think I'll let M'Lady use a radio shack h/t on batteries with a speaker mic. That way when she drops it, I can't be blamed. Well, not totally at least..... k7xi and ke7cyk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ham Radio on a Spyder

Just found this thread. I'm a new Spyder owner and a Technician (KB1EDA). Am also exploring an installation of a 2meter/ 440 rig on the bike. up in NH currently, but will be on the bike in FL for the winter. Will keep looking for further advice.

73's

Jack

Spyder Garage

Hello,
    KA2PFL here. Here is where I mounted my Ham antenna.

This is the Ham radio on our 2015 RTL. The Radio is installed in the trunk (so I do not fiddle while Spydering down the road).

The antenna is mounted here with a metal plate under it for strength.

The radio is connected to a Sena SR10 mounted here. I wired the PTT to the Spyders PTT switch on the handlebar.

It works great, but kind of missing the 30 watts of a mobile dual bander.

It falls right in line with the existing antenna and looks like it belongs there. The base was a nmo trunk lip antenna. Removed the trunk lip bracket and installed it under the nmo mount to act as a giant fender washer so the plastic would not crack under the mount. It has been there for 6 months and no issues. Make sure you choose an antenna that does not need a ground plane, the one shown does not need a ground plane.

73's Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default wb7nxc

Another ham on an RT. No rig on bike yet.

2015 Spyder RT Special Edition

http://triketrek.com A website dedicated to the Spyder RT.

Farkle:
    Utopia backrest
    Garmin cheap ass GPS
    Some canned sparkling water in trunk.
    Intense Red Pearl/Steel Black Metallic
    Travels so far:

Spyder Garage

Advanced Class, but not currently active. WD4OAQ

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool thread. Well, they are assembling my RT today so I'll be another HAM on a spyder.
    (Amateur Extra)

I like the pic of the install above - I have an ICOM 880 I may install like that as it's head unit
    is separate. Although the new 2730 or 5100 look nice. I also have a couple 2300H's I could
    use but they are an all in one unit so installation would need some room. On the plus side
    for the 2300 is they have no fan.

Question: Has anyone ever installed an HF rig on their Spyder? I have a 7100 that I'll probably
    end up installing in my diamond plate trailer (Main unit and probably a screwdriver antenna) and
    have the head unit to put on picnic tables while camping. I'm wondering if anyone installed
    a mobile HF all band/all mode unit directly on the spyder, what antenna they like, etc.