Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LaMonster cut on Corbin seat

I would like the driver portion of the stock seat to give the driver a few more inches to the rear. I have sen posts regarding the laMonster cut, what is it.

I looked at a 2012 RTS Limited that supposedly has a new seat that gives the driver 2 more
    Inches, but both the dealer and I measured it and no difference from stock RTS seat.

Spyder Garage

The Lamonster cut from Corbin is where they scoop out a little more of the foam so your butt will sit in the seat as apposed to on the seat . The people at Corbin are fairly good to work with. You are best to go there if possible or give them a call and tell them you want the Lamonsters cut and that you want to sit back 2 inches from stock and may I recommend the spider web stitching ,backrest and armrests ( especially if you ride two-up )
    Happy Owner

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default corbin seat

And what about if I needed to move "up" two more inches?
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Corbin also should cut it a little better so you can sit IN the seat. I find myself sliding forward in the seat. Just my opinion.
    Life should NOT be journey to grave with intention of arriving safely in attractive and well-preserved body, but rather you skid in sideways on 1 leg with body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

Spyder Garage

The LAMONSTER cut is not part of the standard seat. He had this done when he bought a Corbin seat. Many others that bought corbins also asked for the lamonster cut. Just wanted you to know that it was not done to the sypder seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    I would like the driver portion of the stock seat to give the driver a few more inches to the rear. I have sen posts regarding the laMonster cut, what is it.

I looked at a 2012 RTS Limited that supposedly has a new seat that gives the driver 2 more
    Inches, but both the dealer and I measured it and no difference from stock RTS seat.
    The 2012 does not come with the "Comfort Seat" but it is a $600.00 option.

The Lamonster Cut is something I first did on my RS seat and later had it done by Corbin on my RT seat. As others have said it sits you in the seat more like a old tractor seat. I'm sure you could have that done to your stock seat if you wanted to.

Spyder Garage

First, thanks to everyone for your replies, this website is so valuable and you don't have to wait long for a response.

On page 36 of the 2012 Can-Am Roadster accessories book it says that the new comfort seat ($599.99) is standard on the 2012 RT Limited Models. As I said before, a dealer and I compared them with a rule and the drivers portion is the same and not moved back 2".

For any of you that got the LTD for 2012, there was a misprint in the accessories book, or I can't measure correctly.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    First, thanks to everyone for your replies, this website is so valuable and you don't have to wait long for a response.

On page 36 of the 2012 Can-Am Roadster accessories book it says that the new comfort seat ($599.99) is standard on the 2012 RT Limited Models. As I said before, a dealer and I compared them with a rule and the drivers portion is the same and not moved back 2".

For any of you that got the LTD for 2012, there was a misprint in the accessories book, or I can't measure correctly.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.
    I think a call to BRP is in order on this one. I have the Limited and I'm pretty sure it's the same as all the other RT seats but I could be wrong.

Spyder Garage

I have a question about moving back 2" in the seat. How would this affect the passenger when you are riding 2-up? I would obviously take away some of their room, but is it noticeable to them? Never rode as a passenger so not sure how 'cozy' it is back there...
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BitSlayer View Post
    I have a question about moving back 2" in the seat. How would this affect the passenger when you are riding 2-up? I would obviously take away some of their room, but is it noticeable to them? Never rode as a passenger so not sure how 'cozy' it is back there...
    From reading the Comfort Seat info it looks like the passenger backrest is part of the kit so my guess is they adjusted for that.

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

I'm looking to purchase the corbin seat next year and getting all my info together before I go talk to them. I was just concerned about moving the 2" forward.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    I'm looking to purchase the corbin seat next year and getting all my info together before I go talk to them. I was just concerned about moving the 2" forward.
    I don't think it would be a problem. If you get the backrest you will have to have foam added to it too.

Spyder Garage

Default corbin seat

Thanks Lamont! Between you, Len and spyderlovers, I'm getting a real education.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And thanks for the additional information on BRP's new accessory seat! I keep waffling back and forth between theirs and Corbin's so much that I'm getting dizzy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If it helps, I found a local person to reapholster the seat moving the driver portion back 2" plus he will add heat. I found a heat pad for motorcycle seats that he will install when he has the cover off. He wants $150-$200 for work, the heater is either $100 with one temperature only or $200 for hi/low setting. The switch with the settings on it is water proof and can be mounted anywhere. I think for $400 tops, this is the way I am going to go. Here is the link for the seat heater if anyone is interested. I have heated seats and grips on my Victory Vision and I can tell you they are great in the cold weather. I have already ordered the Utopia driver backrest and according to them there is a good chance we can bend the bar enough to still install in the seat after the 2" change.

http://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-motorcycle-seat.html

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by currin20fan View Post
    I have a Corbin that has been moved forward 2"....but the hole for the backrest was not moved forward....I use the backrest on the passenger seat to help hold my Saddleman luggage on the Spyder....but as Lamonster said...the backrest will have to be altered to work when moving 2" forward........all that said...I love my Corbin...get the heated seat....works GREAT!!!!

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

I also have the Corbin that I had cut to move me forward about 2". I am now sending it back for the special cut in the seat area.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

Default corbin

Barbwire.........let us know how the new cut seat works for you.

Spyder Garage

I will let ya'll know what I think of the new cut for us short folks. I liked La Monte's seat when I tried it out and I should have had it done initially.
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I have a Corbin that has been moved forward 2"....but the hole for the backrest was not moved forward....I use the backrest on the passenger seat to help hold my Saddleman luggage on the Spyder....but as Lamonster said...the backrest will have to be altered to work when moving 2" forward........all that said...I love my Corbin...get the heated seat....works GREAT!!!!
    I'm on it. Plan on ordering the Corbin seat with heat for me and my babe, the seal floorboards and the dash kit that Lamonster has on his bike, and pray I don't go broke with the install, cause all I can do is put gas in the dog gone thing. But I love it
    Me & My Babycakes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The 2012 does not come with the "Comfort Seat" but it is a $600.00 option.

The Lamonster Cut is something I first did on my RS seat and later had it done by Corbin on my RT seat. As others have said it sits you in the seat more like a old tractor seat. I'm sure you could have that done to your stock seat if you wanted to.

Okay Lamont when you say it sits you in the seat more, do you physically sit lower? I'm height challenged at 5'-7 & 29" inseam and w/ the screen all the down ( most of the time ) I can barely see over it. 1" shorter would be great. Lowering the riding position would make seeing over shield worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Shorten the 'shield

Quote, "Lowering the riding position would make seeing over shield worse."

I wouldn't let the 'shield height deter you. They sell the 2011 factory windshield {about 2" shorter than a '10} in the accessories catalog, as well as a touring version. I think the touring is a full 3" shorter than a stock '10. I cut my own '10 down 2 1/2" without even taking it off the bike. Not hard at all, and I figured if I screwed it up I'd just go buy the one I wanted.
    Mark & Evelyn
    2010 Orbital Blue RT A&C SM5, Utopia back rest on a Rich's Custom seat and a 2 1/2 " home chop on the windshield.

Spyder Garage

Just remember you also want to allow for break-in. My Corbin made me feel like I was sliding forward-- now its like it's cut to fit me perfectly.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2012 RT limited and the seat doesn't fit any differently then my 2011 RT. I'm only 5FT with a 27 IN inseam. I have a friend with very long legs and she took her stock seat to a local upholstery shop (who also does custom bike seats). They did a great job at shaving off the 2 inches and a lot cheaper then a new BRP or Corbin seat. I will say that I loved my Corbin seat on my first RS. I'm still considering getting the Corbin with the gas cap access door!!

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster Cut on Corbin Seat

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I got the Lamonster Cut on my Corbin Seat. I traveled from Ohio to California to go to the Corbin Factory and be there when they built my seat. I got a backrest with my seat and I believe they were able to do a Lamonster Cut without moving the backrest. This being said, if the backrest doesn't move, the passenger seat space doesn't change.

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar