Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm ready to take some pics and videos with my Drift(s)

I got my setup all dialed in except for mounting the usp power plug. Other than that I'm ready for some serious picture and video taking

[media=Drift HD and HD170 on Spyder RT]302[/media]

Spyder Garage

I am about to order a couple of the 170 cameras. Are you able to control more than one camera with the remote? That looks like a good setup you have.

Happy Spyder owner
    Mark

Spyder Garage

My God Lamont, I'm so jealous.
    Way cool setup.

And a small token of advice................Don't go near any military bases !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madozier View Post
    I am about to order a couple of the 170 cameras. Are you able to control more than one camera with the remote? That looks like a good setup you have.
    No, you need a remote for each camera.

Spyder Garage

Nice set up!!
    I,m unveiling mine next month?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default That dash is AWESOME!

Lamont,

I know this thread is about the cameras but I must say the dash kit is incredible! I have seen others and hav not been real impressed but that red carbon fiber look is really cool.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nice set up .

Spyder Garage

Looks great! But we need to see some pictures....especially while moving!
    ** Loving my 5th Can-Am Spyder since 2007! **

Spyder Garage

excellent set up! Is the helmet cam done with a suction cup provided or is that a permanent mount on your helmet, in the HD170 when you purchased it, or something you added?

Also have you found the need for an extra battery or lens?

Spyder Garage

Wow Lamont. I have seen pictures you have taken with your cameras from your helmet, spyder, and trailer. These have been front view side view, back view and everthing in between. How many cameras do you have? You do a magnificent job!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Wow Lamont. I have seen pictures you have taken with your cameras from your helmet, spyder, and trailer. These have been front view side view, back view and everthing in between. How many cameras do you have? You do a magnificent job!
    Right now I have two Drifts, one GoPro and one hand held PAS. I think I will be leaving my point and shoot camera at home now that I'm getting use to the new iPhone camera. I can edit a pic right on the phone and with "Cloud" it will be on all my computers when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    excellent set up! Is the helmet cam done with a suction cup provided or is that a permanent mount on your helmet, in the HD170 when you purchased it, or something you added?

Also have you found the need for an extra battery or lens?
    I used the curved mount that came with the camera with the quick release. I did buy an extra large battery and it is needed if you shoot a lot of video. That's one of the reasons I'm going with the usb power instead of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Looks great! But we need to see some pictures....especially while moving!
    This has some video in it taken with the Drift.

Spyder Garage

I am watching this thread with much interest. I am starting to like the idea of getting a camara to record rides with. I am very non-techy, so hopefully, I will be able to make some nice videos if I decide to make the plunge.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I want a "GoPro" sooooo bad.....I can't yet take pics as we travel down the road...I would rather look at the road....a GoPro would eliminate that problem....looks great Lamont

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    This has some video in it taken with the Drift.
    6:24 you tube , "there ain't no turn off, you all be careful "

so yesterday I went and picked up a drift HD and then charged it up and did a firmware update ( I am so proud ) And then was gonna take it for a ride so I put on the helmet mounts and then learned they need 24 hours to
    cure
    Didn't want to lose it the first time out, so tomorrow will be the big day,actually morning, cuz my wife has a rare Saturday off and has pre organized our day. Anyhow I put the helmet mount on the top and on the side of the helmet and now it won't fit in the right side rear bag compartment oh well live and learn

This drift is very easy to navigate and the online manual and video tutorials are very helpful. I got a great price but think I will also pick up a drift 170 too as they are so cheap right now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madozier View Post
    For sure you can pair more than one camera of the same type (170 or HD) to a remote but it is not clear from the Drift literature I have seen whether a Drift 170 and a Drift HD working together can both be paired to a single remote. Chances are you can, that would be my guess.

Lamont has a great camera setup using both types so he's best placed to try it.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

What a great set-up, wow, so very cool, and your RT looks really great
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm not into the latest and greatest most times. With cost and feature differences between the Drift HD 170 @ $159 and the newer version at over $350, at this time i belive the cheaper one will do me fine.

But, I've got a question I haven't seen asked. Are you able to use it to take still shots like you would with a still camera and an iPhone?

I'm mobile using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    I'm not into the latest and greatest most times. With cost and feature differences between the Drift HD 170 @ $159 and the newer version at over $350, at this time i belive the cheaper one will do me fine.

But, I've got a question I haven't seen asked. Are you able to use it to take still shots like you would with a still camera and an iPhone?

You can set the Drift HD170 or Drift HD to either record movies or shoot still pictures, or photobursts. There are a few differences between the HD170 and the new Drift HD. The biggest difference, other than the size, is that the HD170 takes pictures at 5MP and the newer model snaps pictures at 9MP. For most people the 5MP is more than adequate for the types of pictures one takes while on the road. I have the new Drift HD and can tell you that the camera feature is really great and I will probably shoot more pictures while in motion than record movies. The picture quality is truly awesome if you have sufficient lighting. I will continue to carry a standard camera for shots taken indoors with poorer lighting conditions.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. 5MP stills are fine for me. An inch is size isn't an issue. Over twice the cost isn't justifiable to me for the few differences.

My intent with the question was to see if I could leave the still camera at home and use either the Drift or my iPhone to take the stills while off the Spyder. Like can i grab the Drift, point it and shoot stills. If so, it would mean one less thing to keep track of, carry, lose or drop.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.844713,-88.951979
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tofriendscreek View Post
    Thanks. 5MP stills are fine for me. An inch is size isn't an issue. Over twice the cost isn't justifiable to me for the few differences.

My intent with the question was to see if I could leave the still camera at home and use either the Drift or my iPhone to take the stills while off the Spyder. Like can i grab the Drift, point it and shoot stills. If so, it would mean one less thing to keep track of, carry, lose or drop.
    I have taken a huge number of pictures with my Drift 170 in lots of different situations and got some very good shots. but, there are a few things you need to be aware of before you leave home with that as your only camera.

- all the close pictures will show extreme Fish-eye effect which is actually pretty cool in some situations but not all the time.
    - No flash for low light situations, although it will surprise you some indoors.
    - Viewfinder is a little tough to line up when you start waving it around for quick shots.
    - Zoom is also difficult to use on the fly for quick shots.
    - Lens is very wide angle, good sometimes but not all the time.
    - When the Drift is mounted on your Spyder, and you need to take a quick pic of something good, better have a 2nd camera!

I finally quit trying to use the Drift for general purpose and carry a point&shoot with good zoom & flash to keep from losing great shots!

Jack

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Right now I have two Drifts, one GoPro and one hand held PAS. I think I will be leaving my point and shoot camera at home now that I'm getting use to the new iPhone camera. I can edit a pic right on the phone and with "Cloud" it will be on all my computers when I get back home.

I used the curved mount that came with the camera with the quick release. I did buy an extra large battery and it is needed if you shoot a lot of video. That's one of the reasons I'm going with the usb power instead of the battery.
    Lamont, since you have both the GoPro and the Drifts, how do they differ? We were thinking of getting a pair of the GoPro HD's before the trip to Cuba, and doing a front mount and a helmet mount. I'll hold off on the purchase until I hear from you or anyone else that would like to chime in. I'm also curious about the USB power. I thought that most USB power supplys were 3v. Is there a kit that steps down the 12v to 3v, or is this another simple DC mod that totally escapes me?

One more question, I want to order and install my GloRyders before heading to Spyderfest. The only way that I can have my lights ready for the trailer wheels is to purchase a spare set of dust covers so that I can do the modification here at home and just pop them on to the trailer when I pick it up at Cowtown. I'm having a hard time finding RT-622 parts online. Any idea where I can order those? It's after hours or else I would've called Len to see if he could ship them to me.

As always, many thanks in advance

PS - I agree with the iPhone camera being a nice one. I'm leaving my Canon Rebel EOS at home and using the iPhone 4S for stills. If I may recommend an awesome app for the camera, it's called Camera+. I have at least 20 camera apps and I like that one the best right now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    Lamont, since you have both the GoPro and the Drifts, how do they differ? We were thinking of getting a pair of the GoPro HD's before the trip to Cuba, and doing a front mount and a helmet mount. I'll hold off on the purchase until I hear from you or anyone else that would like to chime in. I'm also curious about the USB power. I thought that most USB power supplys were 3v. Is there a kit that steps down the 12v to 3v, or is this another simple DC mod that totally escapes me?

The Drift and the GoPro both take great pics and video. I perfer the Drift mostly because it's easier to use and I love the remote. I believe usb is 5v and what I bought goes from 12v to usb standard.

One more question, I want to order and install my GloRyders before heading to Spyderfest. The only way that I can have my lights ready for the trailer wheels is to purchase a spare set of dust covers so that I can do the modification here at home and just pop them on to the trailer when I pick it up at Cowtown. I'm having a hard time finding RT-622 parts online. Any idea where I can order those? It's after hours or else I would've called Len to see if he could ship them to me.

Looks like part #17
    http://parts.spyder.brp.com/Index.as..._id=1&siteid=1

As always, many thanks in advance

PS - I agree with the iPhone camera being a nice one. I'm leaving my Canon Rebel EOS at home and using the iPhone 4S for stills. If I may recommend an awesome app for the camera, it's called Camera+. I have at least 20 camera apps and I like that one the best right now.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man kevorama's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Oh, please tell me that you meant part #11 and not #17. I just ordered 4 of those in case I botched the first attempt.

Wheel Cap
    Part #: 705400812
    Qty: 4
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow.”
    James Dean

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kevorama View Post
    Oh, please tell me that you meant part #11 and not #17. I just ordered 4 of those in case I botched the first attempt.

Wheel Cap
    Part #: 705400812
    Qty: 4
    Yea it looks like 11, not sure what I was looking at before.

Spyder Garage

Cool video Lamont, really like the last part, the bikes were sounding good...