Spyder Garage

Default Help with adjusting suspension

Hi all, I'm just now deciding to adjust my suspension to 4 or 5 from 3. I weigh 250 lbs and am 6'6" and the roads around Pensacola aren't the best. When I attempted to turn the cam, it seemed not to give. I don't want to break anything. Should I keep pulling, add grease...what??? Please help.
    St'09

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StSpyder09 View Post
    Hi all, I'm just now deciding to adjust my suspension to 4 or 5 from 3. I weigh 250 lbs and am 6'6" and the roads around Pensacola aren't the best. When I attempted to turn the cam, it seemed not to give. I don't want to break anything. Should I keep pulling, add grease...what??? Please help.
    Jack the Spyder up get the weigh off the spring , Add a lot of wd40 , Go one notch at a time, don't go from 3 to 5 in one shot.

Spyder Garage

Assuming you are talking about the rear suspension, get the weight off the back end and use a cheater bar on your ratchet. I use a 3/8" rachet, long extension and a 2' long piece of 3/4" conduit. I agree you should try one notch at a time.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

In addition to the advice above, spraying the adjuster liberally with WD-40 helps. Be aware that the pre-2011 adjusters break readily. there is still a risk when adjusting, even with these techniques, but if your Spyder is still under warranty, the broken adjuster should be covered, although the Spyder will be out of commission until it is repaired. From 2011 on the adjusters are beefier and made of steel, so breakage is not an issue.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!