Spyder Garage

Default LED's Making them stick?????

Thinking about adding some leds.....does anyone know of a good way to get flexible led strips to stick the the rough plastic on the Spyder?????? Like the black piece below the trunk, where the tag mout is??????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that if you get it clean enough it should stick just fine... Otherwise you're left with adding more adhesives to an already "sticky" situation!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I think that if you get it clean enough it should stick just fine... Otherwise you're left with adding more adhesives to an already "sticky" situation!

I cleaned till my finger were raw and it was on the barn floor when I got up this morning. What adhesive would be good to use????

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by smartin436 View Post
    I cleaned till my finger were raw and it was on the barn floor when I got up this morning. What adhesive would be good to use????
    3M auto adhesive, seems to make the world go round.

Spyder Garage

2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

too. Plus use the 3M adhesion promoter for even better adhesion.

Spyder Garage

Thanx..........I'll fetch some and give'er a try

Very Active Member Arr MiHardies's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Led strips usually already have 3m adhesive on the back. For body panels, just clean with alcohol. For the rough plastic, alcohol then the 3m primer mentioned above. Thats the best, but I will say I've used only some simple green on the rough places to pre clean with no primer and they've been sticking for a month now (about 1000 miles) without a threat of coming off.
    President - Spyder Ryder of America - Mojave Desert Chapter
    National Web Master - Spyder Ryder of America

reggystan

Default adhesion primer

clean the surface real good with alcohol then use a 3M primer 94 and let it dry, then apply your LED's also helps if the back of the LED's have the VHB type of 3M tape. The vibration from the bike makes the really thin double sided tape fall off easily. PM me with your address and I'll send you some if you need.

Good luck...
    RT

Quote Originally Posted by smartin436 View Post
    Thinking about adding some leds.....does anyone know of a good way to get flexible led strips to stick the the rough plastic on the Spyder?????? Like the black piece below the trunk, where the tag mout is??????

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I cleaned the nose with alcohol and heated the plastic. Once the tape touched it was stuck for good. I've had it on the 1-1/2 years, no problems. These can from Autozone $25.

DSCN1860.jpgDSCN1861.jpg

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

I prefer using automotive prepsol for cleaning prior to VHB tape applications.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!