Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EBC Rotors

Spyder Garage

Default EBC Rotors

Has anyone installed the EBC rotors? I've done a search of the forum and there have been a number of people talking about the EBC pads & rotors. People have installed the organic pads but I can't find anyone saying they installed the rotors.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BajaRon:

You posted under my thread that you ordered some new Pads?? If so, let us know about any braking Improvements after install.

I'm hoping to improve the stopping ability on mine. Maybe mine is as good as it gets? I have no comparison on anything to go by to know if I should be happy with its current stopping ability.

Seems to me I'm having to press awful hard on the pedal and still getting a kinda "soft mushy fading" stop, If that makes sense to you.

I want my Spyder to stop on a dime if need be. Different Rotors, pads, what ever it takes to get some better stopping power.

Again, maybe I'm expecting stopping power like my Yamaha FZ1 provides. You hit the brakes hard on that, it will almost throw you over the bars, Quick Stop, No Fade!

Most owners here have stated they are happy with the stopping ability of the Spyder. I think it could be a lot better!

Wishful thinking???

Jim

zrc

Default Braking Power / Calibration

I dont know much of anything about braking power or what your situation is like currently, but I can tell you that I purchased my 09 GS from cowtown and since the day I got it, the braking power has been solid, responsive and honestly, it can be too much sometimes. I was in ride and we slowed down, and I pushed a little to hard to fast and it about jerked me off the seat cause it went from 30 to 0 faster than I was expecting, and my GF bonked my helmet with hers and then slapped me on the side.

I would get my braking checked out and investigate the screw adjustment that Randy (Arntufun) mentioned in another post.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NiteLife View Post
    BajaRon:

You posted under my thread that you ordered some new Pads?? If so, let us know about any braking Improvements after install.

I'm hoping to improve the stopping ability on mine. Maybe mine is as good as it gets? I have no comparison on anything to go by to know if I should be happy with its current stopping ability.

Seems to me I'm having to press awful hard on the pedal and still getting a kinda "soft mushy fading" stop, If that makes sense to you.

I want my Spyder to stop on a dime if need be. Different Rotors, pads, what ever it takes to get some better stopping power.

Again, maybe I'm expecting stopping power like my Yamaha FZ1 provides. You hit the brakes hard on that, it will almost throw you over the bars, Quick Stop, No Fade!

Most owners here have stated they are happy with the stopping ability of the Spyder. I think it could be a lot better!

Wishful thinking???

Jim
    The stopping capability of the stock Spyder is impressive. I would be very sure you do not have a system issue before putting money into aftermarket rotors. That being said, the EBC rotors claim to give you 18% more stopping power than stock stainless steel rotors (which is what our Spyders have).

My Spyder does not stop like it used to and I'm not sure why. I know I need pads but that doesn't answer the entire question for me. Pads with a little material should stop as well as pads with a lot of material.

I'm going to try the brand new, non-organic offerings from EBC. I don't think the Organic pads would perform like I want. Typically, even the best organic pads are not going to stop you like the OEM semi-metalic. I'm also thinking about putting the EBC rotors on as well. I'm hoping to find someone that has done it already and get their input first.

I may try them out anyway if I can't find an opinion here.

We carry the EBC line of products so if I'm impressed I may be offering a high performance EBC Rotor & Pads set to Spyderlovers here. If I can get them at a good price they should be about the same price as the OEM parts and will certainly outperform the OEM components.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    We carry the EBC line of products so if I'm impressed I may be offering a high performance EBC Rotor & Pads set to Spyderlovers here. If I can get them at a good price they should be about the same price as the OEM parts and will certainly outperform the OEM components.

I would love to have an updated review of these pads. The cost of these pads alone is a reason to give these pads a look. If they don't squeal like the 08's did, I would use them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I would love to have an updated review of these pads. The cost of these pads alone is a reason to give these pads a look. If they don't squeal like the 08's did, I would use them.
    As far as I know, no one here has tried the new pads from EBC (though some have used their Organic pads with mixed reviews). I am positive the new compound will stop better but will they squeek? That is the question.

I'm sure the EBC rotors will work better as well. Enough better to notice / be worth the cost? Another question mark. I think I'm about to find out though.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-24-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Should be a good replacement if the OEM rotors are warped.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    Should be a good replacement if the OEM rotors are warped.
    I agree. The BRP parts fisch shows $225 (I'm assuming + shipping and + tax). That is the price for just 1 front rotor! Ouch! The superior EBC rotor set of 2 would be less than $300.00 delivered.

A set of current BRP pads for the front are $115 according to the fisch. I should be able to supply the new design pads for about $95.00 delivered to US customers.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-24-2011 at 09:26 AM.

arntufun

I wish this thread was a week sooner. I just ordered the fronts and rear pads from BRP 3 days ago.

Spyder Garage

I wish this thread was a week sooner. I just ordered the fronts and rear pads from BRP 3 days ago.
    If they have not yet shipped cancel them. I'll give you a good deal on a set and you can be my extended R&D!

Between the 2 of us we should be able to figure out if they work well or not.

Spyder Garage

Count me in for all 3

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Have you looked at the brake lines themselves? The flex lines do get softer over time and with use, and as they get older, they can expand during use. Some of the pressure that should be extending the pistons, is lost to stretching the brake lines......

We've learned from experience that BRP didn't always utilize premium materials in the manufacture of the early Spyders, I would suspect that the brake lines are no different. Perhaps they can be replaced with premium aftermarket braided lines.
    Also thin [worn] pads will generate much more heat, glaze and reduce stopping power.
    Last edited by boborgera; 12-24-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Have you looked at the brake lines themselves? The flex lines do get softer over time and with use, and as they get older, they can expand during use. Some of the pressure that should be extending the pistons, is lost to stretching the brake lines......

We've learned from experience that BRP didn't always utilize premium materials in the manufacture of the early Spyders, I would suspect that the brake lines are no different. Perhaps they can be replaced with premium aftermarket braided lines.
    I'm not going to say that BRP didn't use premium materials, but I would say it's a rare manufacturer that does with every part. Cost would exceed benefit. But point well taken. Braided lines will always increase hydraulic pressure over regular rubber lines.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-24-2011 at 10:12 PM.

arntufun

If they have not yet shipped cancel them. I'll give you a good deal on a set and you can be my extended R&D!

Between the 2 of us we should be able to figure out if they work well or not.
    I will call first thing in the morning on Monday and let you know.

Spyder Garage

I will call first thing in the morning on Monday and let you know.
    Let me know as soon as you can and I'll get these ordered for you (and Doc as well I guess). I hope they have enough left so I can get a set!

Spyder Garage

Ok! I have the EBC rotors and New Pads in stock! They just came in. Doc, I've PM'd you to be sure we are on the same page.

I could get only 3 full sets of brake pads (front and rear), 4 front rotors (2 sets) and 1 rear rotor.

Spyder Garage

Ok! I have the EBC rotors and New Pads in stock! They just came in. Doc, I've PM'd you to be sure we are on the same page.

I could get only 3 full sets of brake pads (front and rear), 4 front rotors (2 sets) and 1 rear rotor.

If you need another guinea pig spyder I have an 09 phantom SM5 with warped front rotors. - Stealership wants WAY to much for rotors for OEM replacements, and thats even with a military discount

Spyder Garage

I'm not going to say that BRP didn't use premium materials...
    ...but I can How about 3 brake pad generations in 4 years and still no solution for warped rotors?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy View Post
    If you need another guinea pig spyder I have an 09 phantom SM5 with warped front rotors. - Stealership wants WAY to much for rotors for OEM replacements, and thats even with a military discount
    PM me here or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com with the email address attached to your Paypal account, or, you can mail payment if you prefer, and we'll get these out to you.

I was hoping to put a set of these rotors on MY Spyder but I'm finding these are hard to come by right now. EBC was not sure how well these would sell so they made only a short initial production run. I can't get any more until the middle of next month.

The pads are in fair supply, a little short on the fronts and plenty of rears.

I think the rotor, new improved pad set are going to work very well. By the time they come back in stock we should know for sure with Doc and you running a set.

For the rotors, I only have one set of fronts left so hopefully your rear rotor is not a problem.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-06-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    ...but I can How about 3 brake pad generations in 4 years and still no solution for warped rotors?
    Hey Doc... I've read a few articles about this and it seems that brake rotors don't really 'warp'.. it's actually buildup on the rotors that causes the surface to be uneven.

http://www.examiner.com/auto-in-orla...d-brake-rotors

Perhaps a good reason not to use the parking brake unless you really really have to.... or at least let things cool down before applying the parking brake......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Hey Doc... I've read a few articles about this and it seems that brake rotors don't really 'warp'.. it's actually buildup on the rotors that causes the surface to be uneven.

Perhaps a good reason not to use the parking brake unless you really really have to.... or at least let things cool down before applying the parking brake......
    Sorry, I don't buy it. While warped rotors are not as common as most people believe, they certainly do exist. You can lay a straight edge across them and measure the warping. It is easy to tell build-up from the flat rotor surface. It would also be easy to turn off the build-up, keeping the same disc thickness...which is not the case normally. Most turning is necessitated not because of warpage, but because of grooves worn in the rotor surface, BTW, although warped rotors do sometimes show up on the brake lathe when they are being turned. It is my belief that warping is more prevalent in flat, floating rotors, such as motorcycle rotors, as opposed to fixed, ventilated, cast discs with their increased thickness and cast-iron construction.

BTW, nice to have you drop in at long last. Nancy and I were just wondering how you were getting along. We missed you here.

Spyder Garage

Default Sign me up!

BajaRon,

PM sent I want a set of front and a set of rear pads.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I'm with Scotty on this one. Ran a brake shop for about 4 years and I can tell you that rotors definitely DO warp. It isn't warpage as most people think, I will agree to that. But the effect is the same and it AIN'T pad material buildup on the rotor surface.

Rather than bore you with the details, all you have to do is put a rotor on a lathe and run the cutter lightly against the surface. It goes Scrape, Scrape, Scrape as the lathe turns.... Why? Because it's hitting in some spots and not even coming close to touching the rotor on other areas.

This one is BOGUS!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kinggeek View Post
    BajaRon,

PM sent I want a set of front and a set of rear pads.
    Invoice has been sent and I can ship tomorrow.... But now I don't have anything to put on my Spyder! Oh well, it's the sound of commerce! But I won't cry if you change your mind!

Spyder Garage

I'm really not sure what to think either way-- but the logic behind the 'not actually warping' was sound to me... just seems like a pretty thick piece of metal to actually warp. Either way---- buildup or warp-- would be hard to tell as grinding them down would 'fix' either in the same manner. Would take a pretty detailed inspection to tell which it was as the burnt-on build up would seem very much like 'warpage'.

I don't think the average rider would encounter 'warpage' either way. I ride mine pretty hard and have yet to see any such problems. I did try the EBC organics--- and was very disappointed in the results- burnt through them really quick - and their pad 'kits' only come with the pads-- where the BRP ones come with new clips and I think bolts. I really like the BRP Gen 3 pads-- no noise and stop great.

I wouldn't dismiss the EBC products as they have a great reputation-- but those organic ones I found to be less that good.....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!