Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    We have been on two lengthy tours. Once on separate machines,and last year riding two(or I should say 3, including our pooch Kiddo)up,dragging a small tent camper. Last year we maxed out at a bit over 400 miles in a day. That was more than enough for us, and we are in the same age group as you. We usually go around 100 miles, then stop, gas up, let Kiddo run around for abit, eat a snack, and head out again. So usually our stops are around a half hour. So: 400 miles= around 7-8 hours plus 1.5 hours for gas ups,etc. It takes (us) around 10 hours max for us to travel 400 miles.

This trip to Durango, we have 3 scheduled overnight stops in 1300 miles. Way less than 400 a day.

We refuse to be hurried..takes the fun out real quick.

Brad
    If we make this trip, I'm hoping to hookup with others and ride as many as the group rides.
    Last edited by rcdurango; 12-11-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    States Judy and I have visited so far on the

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    My wife and I have been itching to go on a long trip..We live close to St. louis..This is app 1,100 miles...We have never gone over about 275 miles in one day...What is a reasonable distance to travel in one day?...I know there are some epic trips that have been made here,but I am talking realistic for a 58 yr old to travel in one day...How many miles are others planning to travel in one day?..Thanks!
    The distance that you can travel in a day...especially day after day, varies from person to person. You can do more miles on the Interstate in a day than on the two-lane. For many people 300 miles a day is plenty. At an average of 50 mph, and with a few stops, that is a full day. For others, 1,000 or more is a day...but that is the Iron Butt crowd. I can take 500-600 a day, but Nancy prefers a bit less. We plan to do the 1,500 miles to Colorado in three days, but those plans may change. If you haven't done a very long stretch before, I would either plan on no more than 350-400 a day, or leave your plans real loose, and test the waters as you go along.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2019 miles

I WOULD LIKE TO GO IT IS ABOUT 2000 MILES . ABOUT 4.50 TO 5 DAYS. I WILL TURN 71YEARS YOUNG JUNE 3rd . I AM WORKING ON THE WIFE. IT IS EASIER TO APOLOGIZE THAN TO ASK PERMISSION. IT ONLY TOOK ME 48 YEARS TO REALIZE THAT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The distance that you can travel in a day...especially day after day, varies from person to person. You can do more miles on the Interstate in a day than on the two-lane. For many people 300 miles a day is plenty. At an average of 50 mph, and with a few stops, that is a full day. For others, 1,000 or more is a day...but that is the Iron Butt crowd. I can take 500-600 a day, but Nancy prefers a bit less. We plan to do the 1,500 miles to Colorado in three days, but those plans may change. If you haven't done a very long stretch before, I would either plan on no more than 350-400 a day, or leave your plans real loose, and test the waters as you go along.

Spyder Garage

Its 1975 miles for me. The wife doesn't go so I will want to push it a bit to get there in three days to cut the time away from home down to manageable level (i.e. less complaining)
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

already entered Durango in my zumo 550, ready to go

Spyder Garage

Default I'm ready...

Will keep checking with great anticipation...meet up wherever decided...NM or wherever? Something I think would be great if we are hoping to ryde into Durango 200-300+ strong to be able to fly a special BRP Event flag....Anyway that I can help to coordinate/organize please let me know...I've got time and one or two organizational skills that still work!!!!so feel free to ask me to help if wanted...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for the great advice and experiences of everyone!.....We knew 2 days were really pushing it...We are thinking of hooking up the trailer behind the spyder and going on a 400 mile ride just to see if it is realistic...sort of a practice run...maybe we need a SPYDER BOOT CAMP!!

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have been itching to go on a long trip..We live close to St. louis..This is app 1,100 miles...We have never gone over about 275 miles in one day...What is a reasonable distance to travel in one day?...I know there are some epic trips that have been made here,but I am talking realistic for a 58 yr old to travel in one day...How many miles are others planning to travel in one day?..Thanks!
    When we went out west last year my wife and did about 300-600 miles each day. I'm "several" years older than you. Early in the trip it's easier to rip off a long day, then the mileage tends to decline. And the weather will have something to say about it. Listen to your body and don't think you can push once your eyes start to get heavy. Stay fueled and hydrated and just use common sense. The Spyder is a very comfortable bike for long distance touring.
    Dan

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we use to do 700 to 1000 mile days often...2 up.....then we retired....I got the Spyder...now we do 300 to 400 leisurely days...every once in a while we do 600 to 700 miles just to get there....but we enjoy taking our time and stopping to smell the roses...etc....

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah!! WE live in El Paso, TX so have ridden Colorado for many years, it is GREAT riding, gorgeous views and should allow many of us living in the west to be able to attend! We will be there, so I will watch for details!! Thanks, Lamont for letting us know, my husband can plan his vacation around this Spyder event, he just got his 2012 white limited so we will be bringing two matchy matchy Spyders

zrc

Interesting topic... Would anyone else be interesting in earning and Ironbutt award? This past weekend I was able to really participate in my first ever ride of any kind. When I had a 2 wheeler before my ex-wife hated when I rode it at all, and doing much invited horrid fights, so now that that problem is over, I am really enjoying the close knit and fun feeling of the community inside the spyder group for sure and with riders in general.

Back to the original topic, I have never thought about or accomplished, or really even known what an iron butt even what until recently. This would give me a chance to hammer that down and Notch up the ole belt. So I will kick around the idea of planning one of these, and this is an event that could be the chance to do that!

Anyone else out there interested in the idea? its a 1606 mile run, Im thinking 2 days would make for a heck of a push but I am game.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    Interesting topic... Would anyone else be interesting in earning and Ironbutt award? This past weekend I was able to really participate in my first ever ride of any kind. When I had a 2 wheeler before my ex-wife hated when I rode it at all, and doing much invited horrid fights, so now that that problem is over, I am really enjoying the close knit and fun feeling of the community inside the spyder group for sure and with riders in general.

Back to the original topic, I have never thought about or accomplished, or really even known what an iron butt even what until recently. This would give me a chance to hammer that down and Notch up the ole belt. So I will kick around the idea of planning one of these, and this is an event that could be the chance to do that!

Anyone else out there interested in the idea? its a 1606 mile run, Im thinking 2 days would make for a heck of a push but I am game.
    Just to let you know, the minimum award for the Iron Butt Association is the Saddle Sore 1000, which requires you to do at least 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    What would be cool is if we picked a day to meet here and ride in as a group. It's right at 200 miles

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Al...mra=ls&t=m&z=8
    I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! And if we wanted to meet at Tucano's on Central, that is right in the heart of downtown on Historic 66. I actually ate there last Friday night--great food and atmosphere. Not cheap though--about $25/head for unlimited eating. We could ride 66 up to Tramway and then take the nice scenic ride around to 25N and then up to Santa Fe and over through Georgia O'Keefe country up to Chama and then Durango. It's a gorgeous ride!

--ABQ
    spydern.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! And if we wanted to meet at Tucano's on Central, that is right in the heart of downtown on Historic 66. I actually ate there last Friday night--great food and atmosphere. Not cheap though--about $25/head for unlimited eating. We could ride 66 up to Tramway and then take the nice scenic ride around to 25N and then up to Santa Fe and over through Georgia O'Keefe country up to Chama and then Durango. It's a gorgeous ride!

--ABQ
    spydern.jpg
    Seeing you're a local maybe you could help us out with lodging ideas and a good place to meet and depart from.

Spyder Garage

Seeing you're a local maybe you could help us out with lodging ideas and a good place to meet and depart from.
    Absolutely. Are you wanting to do a rally point where we meet at a certain time and then leave? Or are you thinking we could do breakfast or lunch at a particular venue and then depart? If we try to do anything downtown it will be tricky due to parking restrictions. This is my first rally of any kind so I'm not sure as to the protocol.

Regarding lodging--the Embassy Suites is right off the highway and offers a free made-to-order breakfast. It's a little pricey, but very nice and offers compimentary happy hour the evening of your arrival and then that nice free breakfast. There are also multiple lodging sites along old Route 66 that might be fun. And of course we have all the normal hotels like Homewood Suites, a bunch of Hiltons, Holiday Inns, Super 8's, Travel Lodge, etc etc. If I can get a good feel for what folks are looking for I can go talk to the hotel managers and see if we can get group rates. Just let me know. I'll be happy to be the ABQ Liaison. winken.gifbanane.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We are ready to go to Co. Been doing dirt biks and street bikes in Co. for years. Love it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Spyderman View Post
    Absolutely. Are you wanting to do a rally point where we meet at a certain time and then leave? Or are you thinking we could do breakfast or lunch at a particular venue and then depart? If we try to do anything downtown it will be tricky due to parking restrictions. This is my first rally of any kind so I'm not sure as to the protocol.

Regarding lodging--the Embassy Suites is right off the highway and offers a free made-to-order breakfast. It's a little pricey, but very nice and offers compimentary happy hour the evening of your arrival and then that nice free breakfast. There are also multiple lodging sites along old Route 66 that might be fun. And of course we have all the normal hotels like Homewood Suites, a bunch of Hiltons, Holiday Inns, Super 8's, Travel Lodge, etc etc. If I can get a good feel for what folks are looking for I can go talk to the hotel managers and see if we can get group rates. Just let me know. I'll be happy to be the ABQ Liaison. winken.gifbanane.jpg
    When we nail down the dates I'll give you my number and we can make some plans. I'm think clean but cheap on lodging, maybe outside of town .

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    Its 1975 miles for me. The wife doesn't go so I will want to push it a bit to get there in three days to cut the time away from home down to manageable level (i.e. less complaining)
    Non-stop with Florida x-Press (almost 2 days).
    Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Something I think would be great if we are hoping to ryde into Durango 200-300+ strong to be able to fly a special BRP Event flag....
    ...but you have to earn it @ Spyderfest Cuba MO (April 25-29)
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post

1994 miles......Time to start packing....Is it going to be X-Press style again Doc? or maybe FOX style?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post

OK Doc...put my name on one and I'll pick it up at Spyderfest!!!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

When we nail down the dates I'll give you my number and we can make some plans. I'm think clean but cheap on lodging, maybe outside of town .
    Sounds like a plan!

Spyder Garage

I got permission to let you know that the BRP Owners Event will be in Durango CO sometime in June. The dates are getting nailed down now and should be finalized by next week so keep an eye here and on the BRP website for more details.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default im in

This is going to be a great ride from my home here in Alberta, Canada. Goggle maps says it is about 2300km or about 1400 miles just a short ride lol. I have been down to Zion National Park and down into Page, Arizona with the truck and fifthwheel but on the Syder this is going to be a whole lot better. Not sure if the wife will make the trip but I will be be heading down so if there are any folks who would like to meet up it is pretty much straight south on the I-15 then hang a left and voilaim there.http://g.co/maps/4dfdz.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Come on over to SpyderFest in Cuba MO in April and you will get to meet some of the MoGang folks and hopefully join in on a ride to the BRP event in Durango!

Also, We (my wife and I) do some riding up into Southern Illinois often. Visit the wineries and also love going to Giant City Lodge if you have ever been there. Would love to meet up some time!