Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 12V install on RS?

Hey Everyone. I have an RS-S and I would like to install a 12v outlet. I was under the impression that there were some wires strapped up behind the panels that were meant for this install. Drill a hole in the frunk, slap in the 12v, plug it in. I dug around in there and could not find anything. Is that just on the RT?

Thanks for the help

Spyder Garage

Default wire

It was on my 2009 rs ti was cable tied to the top of the shock kinda hard to spot but im sure its there

Whenever a bird s***s on my Spyder,
    I eat a plate of scrambled eggs on my front porch,
    Just to let them know what i'm capable of.

arntufun

Yes there are wires for it. If you take your side cover off (the oil cover) and look up in there by the frunk, you will see the wires. I have mine wired always hot. Some have thiers wired keyed power.

Spyder Garage

The switched accessory harness is normally tucked into the left upper suspension bracket, or tied in that vicinity. Best access is gained with the trunk removed...and it is easier to mount your outlet that way. Don't forget to put a 3 amp fuse into the switched accessory slot in the fusebox.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

When we installed our 12v outlet on my GS we took the whole front off (real easy) and drilled a hole through the trunk and then mounted the outlet. A fuse came with the outlet. Just about the easiest mod we done and the cheapest.

Spyder Garage

Default FYI

The 12 V outlet is only powered on when it engine is running not when the key is turned on and the engine not running.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    The 12 V outlet is only powered on when it engine is running not when the key is turned on and the engine not running.

Mike
    On the GS/RS, it can actually be set up either way. The normal connection is switched, but there is an unswitched acccessory harness, too, that can be used instead. The unswitched accessory harness is typically tied in the center, near the steering or trunk latch. It may need to have the connector changed, and does not have a rubber boot, as I recall. This circuit also requires a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot of the fusebox.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    On the GS/RS, it can actually be set up either way. The normal connection is switched, but there is an unswitched acccessory harness, too, that can be used instead. The unswitched accessory harness is typically tied in the center, near the steering or trunk latch. It may need to have the connector changed, and does not have a rubber boot, as I recall. This circuit also requires a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot of the fusebox.
    I didn't know that. The tech told me that's the way that it's setup so the battery won't get drained down by my GPS or other devices. Thnks for the tech tip.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGA View Post
    I didn't know that. The tech told me that's the way that it's setup so the battery won't get drained down by my GPS or other devices. Thnks for the tech tip.

Mike
    Your tech is correct, the harness intended for the outlet (located in the outlet area and equipped with the proper connector and boot) is switched for that reason. BRP has also provided an unswitched circuit and harness, however, for other uses or for those who wish to have an outlet that is live all the time. The RT has only an unswitched (hot) outlet.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Your tech is correct, the harness intended for the outlet (located in the outlet area and equipped with the proper connector and boot) is switched for that reason. BRP has also provided an unswitched circuit and harness, however, for other uses or for those who wish to have an outlet that is live all the time. The RT has only an unswitched (hot) outlet.
    FINALLY found it! Am I right to assume that the black wire is negative? oh...and what size bit is needed to drill the hole? 1 1/8"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5PYD3R View Post
    FINALLY found it! Am I right to assume that the black wire is negative? oh...and what size bit is needed to drill the hole? 1 1/8"
    Yes the drill bit is 1 1/8, and it is easy to install. Here is a pic of the wire boot for those that have not found it yet. 001.jpg I was doing another mod, and stumbled on it. Do not worry about removing the frunk, as it is super easy to do. Sorry I do not remember if the black is negative.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Black is normally ground on the Spyder, but if you have a meter, test to be sure. Occasionally some connectors have been found reversed.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not knowing all this, I ran two pigtails directly from the battery, an SAE for the tank bag, air compressor and battery tender and a separate Gerbing connector. A switched outlet would surely be preferable for the tank bag uses, so I guess I'll start over. Thanks all for a useful thread.

Spyder Garage

Black is normally ground on the Spyder, but if you have a meter, test to be sure. Occasionally some connectors have been found reversed.
    All is good! Black was neg for me. Only thing I dont like and not sure if anyone else has ran into this but I tested my GPS after all was said and done and my gps charger does not fit very tightly in the outlet. I could see it wiggling loose after some miles on the road.

Spyder Garage

mine took a bit to get running right, the dealer did the install and I had a problem with it, I hooked it up initially and it blew the fuse on the very first start up. waited a while to really dig into it and ended up putting a 10A fuse on it and now it's running perfectly with keyed power.
    RS - 55K+ miles, F3 - 200 miles and counting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joet82 View Post
    mine took a bit to get running right, the dealer did the install and I had a problem with it, I hooked it up initially and it blew the fuse on the very first start up. waited a while to really dig into it and ended up putting a 10A fuse on it and now it's running perfectly with keyed power.
    Idon't like to be the bearer of bad news, but a 10 amp fuse is too large for this circuit. You risk having the wires burn up. They are only sized for 3 amps. You could probablyy sneak by with a 5 amp fuse without problems, but if you need 10 amps, I'd install an auxiliary fuse block and separate outlet.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!