Spyder Garage

Default wider tires bigger wheels

i want to add some 17 tires and wheels to spyder , can anyone help me with who sells the rims that will fit? and tire size?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NVERLAST1 View Post
    i want to add some 17 tires and wheels to spyder , can anyone help me with who sells the rims that will fit? and tire size?
    Can't help with tires. Went to an event at my dealer where they were doing info briefings. The tech told some there that were wanting to change tires to be careful because the computer for the VSS reads the rotation of front and rear tires. If they are not within right tolerance it messes up the system. Might be something you wnat to check on before changing tire size. There again, I could be completely wrong, not like it hasn't happen before.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Easy

As far as I know, you can put any wheels on front as many guys did and no problems.
    Easiest and cheapest way is to buy a Spacers on eBay and get yourself a wheels you like,
    Give us a pic to see when you done, good luck

Spyder Garage

I have had 17s on my spyder with custom made adaptors for 3 years now and never had any problems with the computer or the performance. Check out my pics and if your interested send me a PM and I can get you the info for the adaptors.
    Two Bros Duel Carbon Fiber Exhaust, Evo Sway Bar, Carbon Fiber Sport Screen, Mono Seat Cowl, H.I.D. Headlights, Missing Arm Dam & Belt Guard, MMG 29 Tooth Front Sprocket, Power Commander V with LCD and Wide Band 2 Auto Tuner, NGK Iridium Plugs, 17" After Market Wheels with Yokohama S.drive Tires with Custom 5 lug Adapters, Scorpio Alarm, Kewl Metal Performance Air Filter with MMG cold air intake, Swing Arm Tag Plate, No Fenders at ALL!!!!!

Spyder Garage

There have been some good technical discussions about changing wheel sizes.

I recommend doing a site search for specific information.

They are right when they say some things will mess up the nanny and may contribute to an unsafe ride.

I am not the mechanical expert so will defer to them.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES AND THE NANNY

Almost everyone who sells tires, ..Tire Rack,..Discount tires Direct, etc. will list the revolutions per mile that each tire will make no matter what size they are....this greatly simplifies the problem of finding tires that closely match..ie 180/60-14 vs. 175/65-14 these tires are almost the same circumference (will produce same revs per mile ). So they are interchangeable. Hope this helps you to figure this out the easy way....No math involved.......Mike...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would not put spacers on my spyder. Buy a rim that is made for the bike. You will be the one riding the bike and your life is not worth the risk. I have had my 17 inch rims on my bike for more than two years now and I love them. Try this rim company http://www.ridewrightwheels.com/ they are in California and the rims are a lot but what do you expect for a quality rims for spyder.Tire size will be up to you, these are 195/40/17R Yokohama's, and no problems with the nanny.GetAttachment.aspx.jpgBlack Widow Won Best Paint.jpg
    Last edited by Blackwidow74; 12-01-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spacers start putting more stresses and strains on the bearings...
    Did you have to modify your fender mounting bracketry in order to keep things lined up??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

@blackwidow, I see you have different front wheels , did u change back also?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The fender is the same stock fender, I had the body shop to cut off the sides so it would hover over the tire. I tried having some fiberglass ones made but they were to heavy for the front brackets going over these bumpy roads we have here in CA. The fender that they have on the spyder on Ride Wright Wheels, I bet that is just a show bike, they are not riding it like that because they would break the fender brackets like I did. I did have to have new front brackets made that are all aluminum but are the same shape as the stock ones, the stock ones are hollow and they will break at the welds under stress.

I did not get a rear 17" rim made, that may make the ride bumpy. I think that big tire in the back keeps the ride smooth, the more tire between the rim and the rode, the smoother the ride. I am considering stepping up to a 16" back rim because not many tire company's are making 15" tires. My G Force rear tire is now discontinued, and I don't like the Kumo tire.
    Last edited by Blackwidow74; 12-01-2011 at 12:33 PM.