Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster RTW Project- Corbin seat

Seats are one of those things that are very personal. I've had stock seats that fit me fine and I've had seats I changed out just for the look and I hated riding on them. I've known Mike Corbin for a few years now and through the years have had many of his products. One of the first mods on my RS was a seat, trunk and bags from Corbin. They really give the Spyder a cool look and I love the storage of the bags.

When I got my first RT I saw Mike at his store in Daytona and he said I should stop by the factory and try out one of his new seats for the RT. He just had the pans made and I would have one of the first Corbin RT seats that had been made. The only problem was his factory was in Hollister CA and I would have to ride out there to have it custom fitted to my needs. That wasn't really a problem seeing I was looking for a good ride anyway and that trip would turn out to be just over 9,000 miles.

I was able to ride a bit on the stock Corbin before they put the cover on and that's when I had them dish out the seat like I did on my RS. It was more like a tractor seat and really held you in place. That mod has since been called "The Lamonster Cut" and I think he has sold more RT seats with the "Lamonster Cut" than he has the stock cut. You can read all about that here.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...or-a-RT-saddle

To make this RTW perfect it was going to have to have another Corbin seat on it. I spend a lot of long days in the saddle and with the Corbin I can do 700-1000 mile days with no butt issues, to me this is a must for touring and I really like the custom look it gives the RT.

I was pretty much done with my mods and on day 13 my seat showed up. It was a little late so I decided to tackle it the next day.

Now I'm not one for reading instructions much so I just started taking off what I knew had to come off. I'm not saying this is how you should do it but it's how I did it.

First thing I removed was the stock backrest. There are three bolts in the trunk that hold it on. There is a top cap on the backrest that needs to be removed too.

You're going to want to remove the ram that holds the seat up before doing the next step. There are two bolts at the rear of the seat that need to be remove. You want to make sure you don't drop the nuts or the sleeve in the black hole when removing the seat.

Then you want to remove the switch for the passenger sensor.

Now you're ready to bolt on the new Corbin.

The first thing I do is remove the locking pin. I see no reason to have it there seeing you have a unlocked fuel door now and getting that pin to line up and work right can give you unnecessary fits.

Next you want to put the passenger switch back in and bolt up the seat and backrest. You won't be reusing the ram on this seat. There's not much to the install but the look and feel of the seat is great. The fuel door and driver back rest are a big plus too.

Spyder Garage

BEAUTY! as always.....

Spyder Garage

Sweet!

If you remove the post from the seat, how does the seat stay secure?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Sweet!

If you remove the post from the seat, how does the seat stay secure?
    The seat fits snug to start with and it's not popping up because there is no hydraulic ram to raise it.

Spyder Garage

OH, I see now! Do you have to remove the ram, or is that just something you decided to do?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    OH, I see now! Do you have to remove the ram, or is that just something you decided to do?
    Corbin has a arm that folds down to hold the seat up. There is no place to reuse the ram.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great write-up and explanation of the processes involved!
    Question: I keep seeing posts about how hard the Corbins are until you beat them into submission with your... errr... bottom.
    Is this true?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Great write-up and explanation of the processes involved!
    Question: I keep seeing posts about how hard the Corbins are until you beat them into submission with your... errr... bottom.
    Is this true?
    The Corbin is much firmer than the stock seat. I don't think the foam changes as much as the leather gives a little. When I rode my RT without the cover it was pretty soft, only after the cover was in place did it feel hard.

Spyder Garage

So is your seat heated? Looks like a switch on the left side rear. I have heard that lots of tupperware has to be removed to install the heated version.
    Still waiting on delivery of mine. (Ordered two weeks before yours). I'm hoping that the product is much better than Corbin's customer service. 3 unreturned phone calls so far. California factory is closed all week. Their 2-3 week delivery is looking more like 6 weeks. Mrs. SpyderDen is not a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    So is your seat heated? Looks like a switch on the left side rear. I have heard that lots of tupperware has to be removed to install the heated version.
    Still waiting on delivery of mine. (Ordered two weeks before yours). I'm hoping that the product is much better than Corbin's customer service. 3 unreturned phone calls so far. California factory is closed all week. Their 2-3 week delivery is looking more like 6 weeks. Mrs. SpyderDen is not a happy camper.
    When did you order yours?

Spyder Garage

We started the order Sept 9. Offered 10% discount if we paid for it at Biketoberfest(Sat 11/15). So that is when we paid for it.

Spyder Garage

I buggered around for 1/2 hour with the seat post before I took it off .Also the one thing I liked about the stock seat was it held the tool pouch (don't know how hard it was to take off or put back the tool pouch as the Corbin heated seat ,backrest and armrest was pre ordered and waiting to be installed as soon as the Spyder arrived home )
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Default seat

how tall are you and what do you weigh i am 6 ft 2in and 245 just wondering what the difference is between your's and stock seat