Thread: OIL LEAKS?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL LEAKS?

Has any one had any problems with oil leaks on their spyder? I am having touble getting mine repaired.

W D

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine 2011 was valve cover gaskets.

Hawk Eye

Spyder Garage

The most common cause is oil in the airbox, especially if the oil was overfilled. There are some remedies for that. A search for "oil in airbox" should net several threads. Depending on the location, there are other possible causes, but they are far less common.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have had ongoing oil leak problems with my 2010 rs. The problem started in July and multiple parts have been replaced but the oil leak is still there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by phantaz View Post
    I have had ongoing oil leak problems with my 2010 rs. The problem started in July and multiple parts have been replaced but the oil leak is still there.
    Finding out where the oil is coming from is the 1st step to solution. Do you know the source?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

2010 RT-S with 24,000 miles.

Problem: Small drops (perhaps 2 over night) of oil.

Diagnosis: Coming from engine area.

Fix: Valve cover gaskets. (I would note that my tech took pictures of this because the gasket didn't seem to fit right).

Results: No more oil on garage floor.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't understand if they're having trouble finding the leak, All they have to do is put a little fluorescent dye in the crankcase, [Available at napa] And With a black light the location of the leak will show up.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Valve Cover

I had my valve cover gasket replaced (rear) at the 12,000 mile service. It did not drip and my airbox had very little oil in it I was told and I keep my level at the top. No other leaks yet!

Spyder Garage

Default Oil leaks

Yes, I had self inflicted oil leaks from my oil pressure sending unit for my digital gauge. Bought what brass fittings would normally take the 10 mm OEM low oil pressure sending unit and the new gauge sending unit and ity'd work forever. Long story short, don't do that. Bat, Inc in Sarasota, 941-355-0005 carries what evidently was a BRP designed "adapter" for the 10 mm threaded OEM low pressure sending unit. I kinda got the impression BAT manufactured the part, but no matter, they carry it as #TPVW. That it. I called, told the gent I had a continuing oil leak on my bike and was told he had the part. You betcha, you must have a Spyder and need TPVW.No one else has ever heard of it, so if you're installing an oil pressure gauge and want THE adapter, don't mess around with the normal brass fitting, call these dudes and for $16 your troubles should be over. Mine should be here today. I will admit I resorted to just installing the gauge adapter this week by itself and it has not leaked a drop. I want the protection of the low pressure light, bnut like Lamonster said, that only tells you that you have a false warning or that your engine is toast. Being a great believer in redundency with mechanical things, I'd still like to have the idiot light. And, being an idiot, it fits my DNA perfectly. The 10 mm thread in the engine is slightly different from most 10 mm threaded things and requires this unique part. You may get away with using something else for a while, but I've been there and done that. I have the world's most expensive $65 gauge and sending unit combo. I've bought old bikes for less than I have in the labor for this stupid setup. Being an old guy with several complications, I can't do the mx stuff I use to, so I pay through the nose for the things I think I just have to have.

TuckMiddle