Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RT vs RS

Spyder Garage

I currently own an RS, but am changing models/upgrading (yes it is an upgrade to me because of extras and pricing). I love my RS and it is one of a kind. However, I have two extensions on the handle bars and I still ride straight armed. If I were only going to be doing local riding I would stay with my RS, but we plan on doing lots of long trips and the RT will be much more comfortable. I like the windshield that I can raise and lower.... like it to be higher (like my Harley was), I like the handlebars being closer to me, heated hand grips, extra storage, handling..... well I have heard many many good comments on how well it handles expecially with the Elkas. Also since mine will be a performance RT I will not lose any power, and gas mileage will be pretty good.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    If 100 Non-Spyder owners in each of there age bracket were polled, these are my predictions for the outcome of the model choice they picked.

If I were a betting man, I bet these would be close and you can see why the RT is doing so well. The RT's have four age brackets to the RS's two. This should explain the RT's domination.

AGE BRACKET % RS % RT

20-30 --------------98----- 2
    30-40 --------------75---- 25
    40-50 --------------35---- 65
    50-60 --------------25 --- 75
    60-70 --------------10 ----90
    70 + --------------- 2 ---- 98
    Maybe a good poll would be how many miles do you ride on your RS vs RT. I know you trailer and camp a lot and that's cool but most of us RT riders like to ride to our events and that may be why you don't seem to get the draw there, it's not necessarily an age thing Bro but a miles in the saddle thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Maybe a good poll would be how many miles do you ride on your RS vs RT. I know you trailer and camp a lot and that's cool but most of us RT riders like to ride to our events and that may be why you don't seem to get the draw there, it's not necessarily an age thing Bro but a miles in the saddle thing.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Spyder Garage

If there were a poll on miles My vote would go to the "not enough" catagory

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have an RS, and I do not think I want an RT at this point. I have always had two wheels and this was my first three wheeler. When I bought it they did not have RT's, as far as long trips go.. I don't mind having to stop a little more frequently to stretch or move around. Makes the trip less hurried and enjoyable as far as I am concerned. I have never been one who thinks you have to get there in a hurry. :-) I was fortunate enough to ride on a RT in Sturgis and I do admit it is very comfy. But, still think I will wait before I "upgrade"... At least for a few years. :-)

arntufun

Your 100% right. If I had to drive the Spyder and not trailer it to places or events, no doubt I would have to make alot of changes to my Spyder or get an RT. I always thought 15+ hours on the interstate on my Spyder would not be enjoyable at all, but since I have never tried it I dont know for sure. You got me on that point.

I did put 8k miles so far this year which is the most ever I put on any bike in one riding season (April-Nov). I know thats not alot for some, but it was for me considering I do trailer it alot.

Holly is always telling me kind of the same thing as your saying. She says something like the journey is part of the destination or something to that effect, but I'm the type of person that can't start to enjoy the trip until I get where I'm going. I can't explain it.

Spyder Garage

will i see im in the 98% rider i like the rs and thats what ive got but the switch is the craping of my knees on my rs after about 30 min i need a brake so the rt is where im going to.but im not old yet only 72 and feel much younger,but i do need the comfert of the rt.

Spyder Garage

RS all the way for me. No knock on the RT but I perasonally don't like the look of it. Definitely wouldn't be happy with the performance or the fuelly of the RT either, so I'll stick with the RS thank you!
    "Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward."

'09 Phantom GS (#14) (Gone but not forgotten) and 2010 RS-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Holly is always telling me kind of the same thing as your saying. She says something like the journey is part of the destination or something to that effect, but I'm the type of person that can't start to enjoy the trip until I get where I'm going. I can't explain it.
    I've never had to trailer a bike anywh... Oh! the last 1/2 mile on October 11th...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I don,t like BRP,s marketing of the 2012 RT-
    1-For 21,7 you only get that metalic color and no semi-auto choice?
    2-For 23,5 (25 with auto) you have metalic or Blue. I don,t care for either.
    3-So now I,m at 25 (27,2 with auto) to finally get a Red!!!
    If I were to add a RT it would be a basic model with auto and either White, Yellow or Red color (Visable)?

BRP markets it so you are SORTA forced to go to the higher end models. (Guess thats Good marketing?)

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's not good for marketing; It's GREAT for marketing! What made you think that they'd be doing this for their health? As frustrating as this is; it's the way of the business world...

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree totally with post #9. That guy hit the nail right on the head. That guy in post #9 is a smart cookie.

Not so smart. Doesn't know the difference between there & their.

Spyder Garage

I bought the RS in 2009, because there wasn't an RT - sold it and never looked back. Would never pick a sport bike over comfort, if there's a choice.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    Not so smart. Doesn't know the difference between there & their.

Don't blame me the English language is the most idiotic setup in the world.

With words that are pronounced the same and spelled differently. How stupid is that. Those kinds of thinks would not happen if we all spoke french now wood (would) it ??? And who can forget Spyder/Spider.

Yes I'm one of those guys that says when my nose is running............please pass me a Kleenax, when it is actually a facial tissue. I bet you do to (or is it too,or two) ? Now, I'm really confused.
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-14-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hold the dang phone here!! They graduated me out of High School so that my efforts could be put to better use than learning how to communicate effectively...
    No more English lessons...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hold the dang phone here!! They graduated me out of High School so that my efforts could be put to better use than learning how to communicate effectively...
    No more English lessons...
    My hat's off to you. You know the difference between than and then.

Spyder Garage

Im I on a english lesson forum, or SL???
    Feels like im back in school.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well ...

... hookt on fawnix relly wurkt fur me!!

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post

thehawk

Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are !!!
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post

thehawk

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe a good poll would be how many miles do you ride on your RS vs RT.
    You'll be surprised: the RS owners put more miles /unit.
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have an RS. I think that if your coming off of a sport touring or basic motorcycle you would most like feel better on the RS. If you have never ridden a motorcycle or rode big touring rigs you would most likely go to the RT. I test rode the RT and must admitt it is pretty comfortable. But I felt the ride for me was too soft and acceleration not what I was used to on the RS. I also felt that for a single rider it was just too big and loaded with options that I would not use. I'll stick with my RS until BRP comes out with a model somewhere between the RS and the RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandgrouchy View Post
    I have an RS. I think that if your coming off of a sport touring or basic motorcycle you would most like feel better on the RS. If you have never ridden a motorcycle or rode big touring rigs you would most likely go to the RT. I test rode the RT and must admitt it is pretty comfortable. But I felt the ride for me was too soft and acceleration not what I was used to on the RS. I also felt that for a single rider it was just too big and loaded with options that I would not use. I'll stick with my RS until BRP comes out with a model somewhere between the RS and the RT.
    I think you hit it on the head as far as I,m concerned!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Lots of fun with the English on this thread--you folks are right. Unfortunately, as a college prof--I see some really interesting stuff. I have seen a steady decline in proficiency over the last 10 years. I teach accounting and business courses. I have seen the percentage of A's decrease and the F's increase on a steady basis.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I don,t like BRP,s marketing of the 2012 RT-
    1-For 21,7 you only get that metalic color and no semi-auto choice?
    2-For 23,5 (25 with auto) you have metalic or Blue. I don,t care for either.
    3-So now I,m at 25 (27,2 with auto) to finally get a Red!!!
    If I were to add a RT it would be a basic model with auto and either White, Yellow or Red color (Visable)?

BRP markets it so you are SORTA forced to go to the higher end models. (Guess thats Good marketing?)
    I have to agree that it is great marketing. I like the BLUE RT and wanted the RT-S Features so I paid the $28.5 (Cdn) and didn't even get the Red. I would have bought the Limited...but they don't come in BLUE.