Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RT vs RS

Spyder Garage

Default RT vs RS

What do you think ? Is the RT out selling the RS and are we putting more miles on the RT than the RS. I've owned both and because the RT is so much more comfortable than the RS I ride it longer. Don't get me wrong here I loved my RS ( 26,000 miles in 2 years ) but it will never be the two-up machine the RT is . As 90 % of my riding is two-up we went with the RT.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I own the RT for the same reasons as you. Plus the extra storage is a must for me when travelling. My guess is the RT.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

RS
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    RS
    Happy Owner

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never ride two-up.....so I have the RS.....but I have made it a tourer.....saddlebags...rear seat bag....just put a Kewl Metal luggage rack on and got a Saddlemen bag for the rack...oh!!! the trunk......I can now travel with extra room....Corbin seat, heated....CB...31,000 something miles in 1 year 5 months 2 weeks 6 days...and I'm going riding today...but back to the orginal ???? the RT may be out selling the RS and I would think the RT's are getting more miles....rode an RT...beautiful ride...I'm just not ready for an RT...love my RS

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I never ride two-up.....so I have the RS.....but I have made it a tourer.....saddlebags...rear seat bag....just put a Kewl Metal luggage rack on and got a Saddlemen bag for the rack...oh!!! the trunk......I can now travel with extra room....Corbin seat, heated....CB...31,000 something miles in 1 year 5 months 2 weeks 6 days...and I'm going riding today...but back to the orginal ???? the RT may be out selling the RS and I would think the RT's are getting more miles....rode an RT...beautiful ride...I'm just not ready for an RT...love my RS
    that is because you ROCK GIRL!!!!

Spyder Garage

RT
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RT! But there is no loser here...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Interesting topic. My passenger perfers the comfort of the RT. I perfer the looks of the RS. Needless to say we own a RS. I guess it all depends on what you like and who wears the pants in your house.

But seriously, IMO the main market for the Spyder is the older generation and people that do not have confidence or ability to ride two wheels. Of course the older generation will lean towards comfort over looks. The RT does nothing for me at this point in time in my life. I'm sure that opinion will change in twenty years or when my passenger finally lays down the law.

I'm sure RT riders are racking up more miles than the RS riders, The majority of the RT riders are most likely retired, older or there kids are out of the house so they have alot of downtime to just take off. So I can totally agree with that. I'm sure the comfort level of the RT has alot to do with it as well. To me I'm good on the RS for a couple of hours and then I need to get off it and stretch a bit. But by then I need gas anyway.

It's easy for the RS to get lost even on this forum. If you ever looked, RS riders do not even have our own category here. I have asked this question in the past and was told General Discussion is for the RS, but as anyone can see it gets flooded out with everything including RT stuff. This is not intended to stir anything up, but just to show how it may look like the RT is doing so well.

Also what I can not understand is, why people think the RT is an upgrade to the RS just because it costs more. It's not !!! It's a entirly different model all together, thats it. This is a great topic for discussion and I'm looking forward to reading other peoples responses and opinions.
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-13-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

RT's make up 70% of the total Spyder sales at one dealership in SouCal. How closely this matches the rest of the country I don't know. But I wish I still had my GS sometimes. I love my RT but I think the S series had more raw power because of the cable throttle. But the T is the trophy bride. Costs about the same too.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that BRP has to announce their sales figures to anybody either... so this is all conjecture...
    Does anybody have a dealer on speed-dial that they call to discuss the football games or NASCAR with? Corporate Sales might be worth inquiring about...

Spyder Garage

Default lets ask lamont

i only see gs, rs on the street, but it seems like lots of spyderlovers have switched to the rt just since i've been here. maybe lamont can shed some light on this.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I prefer the GS/RS because tight handling is far more important to me than comfort. Even so, I have made a few mods in the touring direction (bags, shield, highway pegs, 1 inch riser) so that I can ride all day when I want to, without undue discomfort. My favorite mods were swaybar, shocks and tighter springs, though. I'm no spring chicken but I'm not RT material yet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default RT is outselling the RS

If I owned both an RT and RS, I think I would ride the RS more, but would use the RT for long distance journeys. (just speculating...but willing to test this theory if someone wants to give me an RT ).

My dealer told me his RT/RS sales ratio is 80/20. Plus, there is more interest in RT LEs from potential new owners.

This makes sense as there seems to be more pre-owned RSs for sale than RTs and here's a photo from a recent group ride (5 RTs and 2 RSs). But to Bob's point, you can't go wrong either way.

RTs and RSs.jpg

Spyder Garage

I didn't know it was a contest.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Hi StantheMan when did you get your RT, have you started the mods yet, maybe we will see you in November
    Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    If I owned both an RT and RS, I think I would ride the RS more, but would use the RT for long distance journeys. (just speculating...but willing to test this theory if someone wants to give me an RT ).

My dealer told me his RT/RS sales ratio is 80/20. Plus, there is more interest in RT LEs from potential new owners.

This makes sense as there seems to be more pre-owned RSs for sale than RTs and here's a photo from a recent group ride (5 RTs and 2 RSs). But to Bob's point, you can't go wrong either way.

RTs and RSs.jpg

Spyder Garage

We started out with the RT 2010. We always rode 2up. and very compfortable with it. Wife really liked the back corbin seat. After spyderfest last year we went on to Ohio thats when Cj got to do her first real drive. She did a 100 mi stent and really enjoyed it but the weather was cold and rainey so she didn't want to drive any more, but I think she was hooked then. Took the RT in for service when we got home, that's when she saw the pearl white RS and fell in love with the looks. Ended up with leaving with a new ride for her. 2011RS So this house hold likes both. She would rather ride the RS over the RT and I like my RT. BUT now she has her new twobothers dual exhaust and I'm thinking if I was younger OH YEY Besides its safer on the RT for me I have to protect my license for my job if you know what I mean. Hat off to both they are fun machines either way.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nudle View Post
    Hi StantheMan when did you get your RT, have you started the mods yet, maybe we will see you in November
    Hi Nudle,

I hope all is well with you and Kathy. LOL, no, I did not get an RT. I still like my GS.

spyder-2011bw.jpg

Perhaps we'll meet up at the November 24th group get together.

Spyder Garage

Default bride

[Qi believe you can probably save the price by not having a trophy bride. stick with the bike and a dog imo

UOTE=Desert Spyder;390374]RT's make up 70% of the total Spyder sales at one dealership in SouCal. How closely this matches the rest of the country I don't know. But I wish I still had my GS sometimes. I love my RT but I think the S series had more raw power because of the cable throttle. But the T is the trophy bride. Costs about the same too.[/QUOTE]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=StanTheMan;390394]
    /QUOTE]

I never would have figured a split like that!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;390403]
    Quote Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
    /QUOTE]

I never would have figured a split like that!
    I agree, but that's just my local dealer and may not be a reflection of Spyder sales globally. For all I know, maybe he was trying to get me to buy an RT

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT A CONTEST

Scotty this is what happens when riding season starts to wind down for a lot of us . Since I obtained my used I didn't have a choice in the model, never mind the fact that there was no RT . Initially I thought O why didn't they make the RT first...By then then I had already gone the Flamingobabe route and had started COMFORTIZING the RS . I added a large hard trunk w/pass. backrest , it holds 42 liters...and I'm building a lightweight ( 75 lb ) trailer ( 18 cu.ft. ) this winter so I have the tote-abilty thing covered. As far as ride comfort goes I've never had a problem w/stock seat I've gone 375 miles with only gas and pee stops without butt or back discomfort and I'm 64. I've been riding sno-mobiles most of my life and I ride my RS the same way and I think it handles great...I do plan to up-grade to RT FRT SHOCKS though....My homemade touring windshield ( turns w/the handlebars ) has a great dead air space and provides a lot of quiet for my ROCKIN (250 WATT) STEREO....Plus a bunch more little things.....altogether I haven't spent $ 500 in upgrades because I designed and built almost all my MODS I'm fortunate I was able to do this......So now since my MPG avg. is about 37 I wouldn't switch to an RT for anthing that I can think. SEE YOU ALL AT SPYDERFEST 2012 YA HOO I'll be at the DAY'S INN ST.JAMES if anybody want's to cancel or change their reservations LOVE YA MIKE

Spyder Garage

I love the Raw acceleration of my RS and can,t YET afford both. I sat on a RT at the dealer and loved it-If I took a test drive on the RT I,m sure I,d fall in love with at and I,m always figuring out how to have Both in my garage within 2-3 years!!!
    I need 2 Spyders and 1 Jetski in my garage ---Instead of 1 Spyder and 2 Jet Skies?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

zrc

I really prefer the RS as well. Again I think it a largely age gap discussion. I think your 20s to young 30s riders would sport Spyders more often. But they can get 2 wheelers a lot cheaper, and they are "faster", I think part of the way to really sell more RS's would be to market them toward adults that have 20 year old kids that want a bike. They would be basically paying the xtra cash for insurance in my opinion.

Just a thought if marketing is watching!

arntufun

I agree totally with post #9. That guy hit the nail right on the head. That guy in post #9 is a smart cookie.
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.