Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Passenger Floorboards HELP

I need some good rear floorboards on my RTS, no they need to be really good anti-vibration passenger floorboards. My wife doesn't like to ride with me because of the vibration on her feet. I hope to get Lamonsters driver pegs, because the Kewl-Metal pegs are worthless. Way to much flexing, I have Seal Floorboards but the vibration on them isn't any better. They make my feet dance, but I really need to get something to fix my wife's foot problems.

HELP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if this is possible or not...
    Could you add some weight to the underside of them in order to dampen the vies???
    Otherwise it'd be a case of adding another layer to the top to soak them up! How about closed-cell foam??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

zrc

Try some thick memory form on top of the Seals. (just a thought).

Spyder Garage

I know that different people have different perceptions of vibration and different thresholds of what is acceptable, but you sure shouldn't be getting so much vibration that your feet "dance" off the footboards or pegs. I'd concentrate on seeing what I could do to reduce the vibrations. Tire pressures can effect vibration, especially if far too high. The RT motor mounts could have settled resulting in the mounting plate hitting the frame. This has been discussed in another post. The 2011s don't generally have the problem of the torque rod hitting the frame, but it is a possibility that should be checked. Too low rpm increases vibration, see if it disappears in a lower gear at the same speed. It also could be coming from the belt. Adjustment of the belt tension, or Capt. Jim's belt tensioner could help. You might even have someone else ride your Spyder, or ask to ride theirs, just to see if yours has a problem or if the vibration seems normal...or ride a demo at your dealer. Neither my wife nor I have noticed vibration to the extent that you report, so I'd say that it isn't typical.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point... Look for the cause of the vibrations as opposed to a patch for them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I know that different people have different perceptions of vibration and different thresholds of what is acceptable, but you sure shouldn't be getting so much vibration that your feet "dance" off the footboards or pegs. I'd concentrate on seeing what I could do to reduce the vibrations. Tire pressures can effect vibration, especially if far too high. The RT motor mounts could have settled resulting in the mounting plate hitting the frame. This has been discussed in another post. The 2011s don't generally have the problem of the torque rod hitting the frame, but it is a possibility that should be checked. Too low rpm increases vibration, see if it disappears in a lower gear at the same speed. It also could be coming from the belt. Adjustment of the belt tension, or Capt. Jim's belt tensioner could help. You might even have someone else ride your Spyder, or ask to ride theirs, just to see if yours has a problem or if the vibration seems normal...or ride a demo at your dealer. Neither my wife nor I have noticed vibration to the extent that you report, so I'd say that it isn't typical.
    I agree, Retired and I have talked about vibration issues even before he put on my Seal's. It just not an issue I have ever heard from anyone else. Something must be causing unusual vibration, I don't feel any nor has any passenger I've ever had on the back. Some have used the passsenger pegs, some longer legged, my FloorBoards. Never a complaint about either.