Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by canam9 View Post
    When you are talking about " Ram Air" are you removing the Fog Light's ? Can you post a pic of the opening ? Thanks.
    No we can both accommodated fog lights or none fog light models the coldair induction coupled with the green air filter working with thevright plugs and wires breathing through the proper exhaust, works very well together.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Minus the Elkas; what would these mods cost?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Why isn't a Juice box required, as it is on the RS?? Performance on my RS, with those mods, was really crummy until the JB was added.. BTW, I love my Works Shocks - better looking package, & less costly…...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Why isn't a Juice box required, as it is on the RS?? Performance on my RS, with those mods, was really crummy until the JB was added.. BTW, I love my Works Shocks - better looking package, & less costly…...
    Maybe because the Cat isn't changed on the RT when the exhaust is changed? Therefore the O2 sensor doesn't freak out the computer?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Maybe because the Cat isn't changed on the RT when the exhaust is changed? Therefore the O2 sensor doesn't freak out the computer?
    There are two o2 sensors too in closed loop.

Spyder Garage

I don't know how true it is, but my service manager said that BRP either has or is coming out with a performance package. Is this old news, inaccurate news, new news or redundant to this thread?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default RT Performance Package

All,
    Does adding the performance package to the RT void the remainder of Can Am/BRP warranty? The addition of any mods void this warranty?
    Thanks,
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

zrc

There is all kinds of comments around the Elka shocks for the RT, is it just assumed that the RS (GS) shocks are solid, or who all has replaced them and loves the new ones?

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just wondering.

Spyder Garage

I looked at both the Elka's and Works shocks when I bought mine, and found the Works to offer a similar quality & performance product for a far lower price. Don't know it that's still the case.

I find that I'm always 5 to 10mph faster on corners than stock…. just some input..

I really like the "ram air" concept - more cold air is always good, less restriction on the filter (added to a larger air flow), and lower exhaust restriction has always been a good mix. I put the Ram Air package on my RS, which used one of the Fog Light holes - if one doesn't use that, where would you capture the ram effect?? (aka; my old '69 Shelby GT 500)...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    All,
    Does adding the performance package to the RT void the remainder of Can Am/BRP warranty? The addition of any mods void this warranty?
    Thanks,
    Reese

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    There is all kinds of comments around the Elka shocks for the RT, is it just assumed that the RS (GS) shocks are solid, or who all has replaced them and loves the new ones?

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just wondering.
    There those that put Elkas on their RS and enjoyed a handling improvement. Alot of us have put RT shocks on the RS for must less money and also enjoyed a handling improvement. I would say, if you are not a high performance type rider you would definitely get more bang for your buck putting RT shocks on your RS. Easy install BTW. You can pick up a pair of RT shocks here on SL from someone who has installed the Elkas on their RT.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

zrc

Awesome thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Cowtown

Quote Originally Posted by FmfTxs View Post
    I purchased the RT Stage 2 Performance package from Len at Cowtown. I must say that the hype does not come close to the reality of the Performance Package. IT FAR EXCEEDS THE HYPE. I took off on my Stock 2010 RTS SE5 from Houston, TX on October 24th at 7:00 a.m. and Arrived in Cuba, Mo. October 24th at 8:45 p.m. The next morning I arrived at Cowtown to meet Len, The package we discussed would include the Two Brother Exhaust, Elka front Shocks, Green Filter, Iridium spark plugs, plug wires and yes A Ram Air system for the RTS SE5 (Fog Lights) Dyno and tuned.

Len and I realized that Rain, Wind and Cold weather would be affecting my trip back home to Houston. Len placed two Techs to finish the job by 4:30 that day. This was truly a pleasure dealing with someone that understands customer service.

I had an 826 mile trip that started at 5:00 p.m. October 25th; this is what I learned about the Performance Package on this journey.

1. The Elka shocks make the RTS handle in turns and windy conditions so much better than the stock shocks..
    2. Two BrotherExhaust, Green Filter, Ram Air, Plugs and Plug wires. Increase of Mid-range and Top end. (Increase of 18.5 H.P.)
    3. The greatest achievement is the increase of 6.5 miles to a gallon; I actually got 179 mileson on 4.8 gallons

I have put on 2200 miles since these upgrades and the Spyder is so much more fun to ride.

My thanks goes out to Len at Cowtown, I rode 1726 miles for these upgrades and every mile was worth it.

Rick (FmfTxs)
    I agree with you 110%. Len and Cowtown are prolly the best dealer in the US. I would travel 100's of miles to get their service.
    I do have a few questions about the results. 179mi/4.8gal = ~37mpg. This seems a bit optimistic. If it is the result of a single measurement, you actually need to take several measurements and average them. You could prolly get 37mpg if you kept your speed low, like less than 50mph. What was your average speed?
    Also, did you Dyno the Spyder before and after you did the mods. An increase of 18.5hp seems a bit optimistic.
    Anyway Len and Cowtown are the greatest. I wonder where we will be buying our next Spyder(s).
    Bootie

Bootie-The Grievous Angel
    2015 F3-S, ISCI Handbrake, F4 32" Windshield, Zumo 660 GPS, Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    I agree with you 110%. Len and Cowtown are prolly the best dealer in the US. I would travel 100's of miles to get their service.
    I do have a few questions about the results. 179mi/4.8gal = ~37mpg. This seems a bit optimistic. If it is the result of a single measurement, you actually need to take several measurements and average them. You could prolly get 37mpg if you kept your speed low, like less than 50mph. What was your average speed?
    Also, did you Dyno the Spyder before and after you did the mods. An increase of 18.5hp seems a bit optimistic.
    Anyway Len and Cowtown are the greatest. I wonder where we will be buying our next Spyder(s).
    Bootie
    The results where over several fuel stops. The average speed on the 806 miles I put on the Spyder was 65 mph. Yes, I usally do not average that speed, increase that by roughly 20 mph and the the fuel avg. was closer to 32.3.
    The dyno was not done before the Spyder had the performance enhancements only after.
    I agree that Len is by far the best Dealership( I will be buying my next Spyder from Len). All I can say is come to Spyderfest and Ryde my Spyder and you tell me what you think.
    Any questions on the the package pm me and I will gladly talk to you.

Rick aka "FMFTXS"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    All,
    Thanks,
    Reese
    In the US, it is illegal to void a warranty on a blanket basis, just because modifications have been made. The dealer must show that the modifications caused or contributed to the failure in order to void coverage for that specific failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). The remainder of the warranty would remain intact. There is very little that I can think of that would or could fail due to these modifications. That doesn't mean you won't have to struggle with some dealers, and maybe educate them, but these are mild changes, well within the engine management system's capabilities. As to the shocks, they aren't going to be covered under the BRP warranty any longer, but I'm sure that Elka has some warranty provisions...though maybe of a shorter duration.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    In the US, it is illegal to void a warranty on a blanket basis, just because modifications have been made. The dealer must show that the modifications caused or contributed to the failure in order to void coverage for that specific failure (Magnuson-Moss Act). The remainder of the warranty would remain intact. There is very little that I can think of that would or could fail due to these modifications. That doesn't mean you won't have to struggle with some dealers, and maybe educate them, but these are mild changes, well within the engine management system's capabilities. As to the shocks, they aren't going to be covered under the BRP warranty any longer, but I'm sure that Elka has some warranty provisions...though maybe of a shorter duration.
    Scotty my friend you are spot on!!! Some dealers could play stupid games but in the end they will lose and we will all know who not to deal with any more! Thanks for the post Scotty! Also on Elka.....AKA Trooper has been so good to all of us on here, his support and product has earned my respect and my money......I'm currently running Elka on my spyder, and all the custom spyders we build! also I've ran elkas through in the king of the hammers on my redline, and am headed back to the hammers ths year in a commander,AKA "The New Pitbull Buggy" and you guessed it! it will be running ELKA's Thanks John & Elka for your support and products, When it comes to reliabilty and dependabilty and preformance, For me and thousands of other ryders and racers its ELKA!
    Last edited by pitbull; 11-12-2011 at 10:37 AM.

pitbull

Also thank you guys! your alll far too kind and I enjoy getting to know each and everyone of you. Thanks for the trust and support, when it comes time for your next spyder i'd love to be part of your next adventure! thanks gang!

Spyder Garage

Default CORRECTED

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    I don't know how true it is, but my service manager said that BRP either has or is coming out with a performance package. Is this old news, inaccurate news, new news or redundant to this thread?

Chris

I stand corrected. What my service manager was referring to had no affiliation, connection, sponsorship, recommendation or support from BRP. Instead, he was suggesting to me an air to fuel ratio system called Power Commander together with special exhaust system, elkas (which I already have) and a couple of other mods to gain performance.

With that said has anyone either used or are familiar with the Power Commander system?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Forgiveness??? You've never met my Missus... Uh-oh!

2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, with SM5 transmission, Two Brothers muffler, cup holder ,clam shell ISO grips,I pod nano and chrome handlebars. Utopia backrest,chrome foot pegs, chrome passenger floor boards,chrome shifter and brake pedal,chrome windshield bracket and chrome kewlmetal highway pegs

Harleyrick

Spyder Garage

I stand corrected. What my service manager was referring to had no affiliation, connection, sponsorship, recommendation or support from BRP. Instead, he was suggesting to me an air to fuel ratio system called Power Commander together with special exhaust system, elkas (which I already have) and a couple of other mods to gain performance.

With that said has anyone either used or are familiar with the Power Commander system?

Chris
    Several people installed the Power Commander system on RTs but there doesnt seem to be much feedback on experience after using it for a while. Not sure if it can be used on a 2011 or 2012. Here is one thread from earlier.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...mmander-for-RT

Spyder Garage

I had a powercommander 5 with auto tune on my HD classic. You have to install a map that matches your setup, meaning if you have a after market pipe and high flow air kit, the program has to be set for them. Most of the time, the bike will have to be dynoed to get the most out of it. Once you get is close, the auto tune will help optimize the system, but you still have to connect the computer to it to have it write the new settings from the auto tune every few weeks.

I have not put one on my RT because I think it runs good enough as it is, but it should be the same.

It made the HD run awesome... With stock pipes, woods cams, and a high flow air kit on the HD, my 96 cc engine was pushing 100 hpm(up from 65hp) and 103 ft pounds of tourque. Most of my buddies were putting the 103 kits on them to get those numbers.

Did I like it? Yeah, it was ok, but it made the bike very hard to start. It would turn over for a few seconds, start, run rough, sometimes die and would have to be restarted. Once I rode the bike for a while...let's say around 100 miles, once I shut it off, it did not want to start again. It never stranded me, but I got nervous a few times. The hard starting was cause by the Powercommander. I could remove it and the bike would start fine...had it looked at serveral times, but never got anywhere on a solution before I sold the bike.

Would I put one on my RT? Only if down the road, I decide to put a pipe and a high flow air kit, then yes. With out the performance changes, I do not see the need.

Spyder Garage

Chris
    The Power Commander (Juice Box) made a big difference on my RS but not so much on my RT. I wound up taking it off the RT.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Now if I could only convince Len and the gang to open "Cowtown West" here is sunny San Diego, California (our ryding season never ends here!)

I had the pleasure of meeting them at the last Spyderfest and I am convinced there is no better dealer (not to mention Spyder advocates) in the US.

PS I have added the Elka 3+ to HELLON3 and I am very pleased.

I am looking forward to the next trip to Cuba MO in April, and I am bringing some of my SRA friends with me this time!
    (the pictures and descriptions from the few of us that made the trip last year convinced other that they do not want to miss it this years event)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

pitbull

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post
    Now if I could only convince Len and the gang to open "Cowtown West" here is sunny San Diego, California (our ryding season never ends here!)

I had the pleasure of meeting them at the last Spyderfest and I am convinced there is no better dealer (not to mention Spyder advocates) in the US.

PS I have added the Elka 3+ to HELLON3 and I am very pleased.

I am looking forward to the next trip to Cuba MO in April, and I am bringing some of my SRA friends with me this time!
    (the pictures and descriptions from the few of us that made the trip last year convinced other that they do not want to miss it this years event)
    .....Cowtown west you say?!?! lol not sure Cal would like me, not a big play buy the rules kinda guyand cal has a bunch of them! I'll be there in febuary, Racing the King of the hammers race. It was great to meet ya looking forwarrd to having you back maybe i'll see ya in the sand and rocks of cal in febuary in johnsvile valley! about an hour south of Barstow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by the pitbull buggy View Post
    .....Cowtown west you say?!?! lol not sure Cal would like me, not a big play buy the rules kinda guyand cal has a bunch of them! I'll be there in febuary, Racing the King of the hammers race. It was great to meet ya looking forwarrd to having you back maybe i'll see ya in the sand and rocks of cal in febuary in johnsvile valley! about an hour south of Barstow
    Barstow! Now that is a beautiful place to go!

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...