Spyder Garage

Default Knee replacement

Well I'm home but living on pain pills. Things when great and then the DR had to go back in on the right side because of bleeding andnow it's pain and theropy. read alittle tonight but thats it for now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Well I'm home but living on pain pills. Things when great and then the DR had to go back in on the right side because of bleeding andnow it's pain and theropy. read alittle tonight but thats it for now.
    I feel your pain.. I am 42 years old an have had to have both of mine replaced.. I didnt have both of mine at the same time.. First one was in 2007.. I took me about 6 months to get over it an about 300 pain pills.. 2nd one was Nov last year.. 2 weeks an I was up doing whatever I wanted to.. Do what the Dr says an make DARN SURE you do the theropy.. Good luck to you...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope you are feeling better soon. I can't imagne how painful that must be.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are back home. The pain can be difficult, but don't give in to it...especially when you go to therapy. Hopefully you have some pain medication that works for you. As was said, do what the doc says, and do your therapy. You'll be up and about, and feel better than you have in years, before you know it!

Spyder Garage

Get better soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Knees are tough. Watched a friend go through replacement. I had my hip done. It was a piece of cake compared to a knee replacement.

Hope the pain meds keep you comfortable. Can't stress enough how important physical therapy is to full use of the joint. Hang in there. It does get better. Right now is that absolute worse it is. It's better and better from here on in.

Wait till you see how well you move about when the pain is gone!!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had both done on the same day in August of 2008. That's why I started riding Spyders instead of bikes and why I use the handle "Neez". Did the therapy, pool exercises, and lost some weight, good as new now. Could go back to bikes now, but I won't. Love that Spyder too much. Take care!

Spyder Garage

Wishing you a quick recovery.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Let us know if you need someone to hold on to your extra pills.

Spyder Garage

Had a hip done, piece of cake. Seen a friend go through the double knee, not nice to start then it seemed remarkable how well she felt, compared to before the surgery. As others have said, do the therapy and stay active, don't give in to the pain. I know that that's eas to say but it is important. Hopefully you'll be back on the Spyder soon.

Spyder Garage

Neez, I like the handle. I'm going have to do some thinking now. See I had both hips done in 04 and they were easier then the knees but everyday is better. Everybody saids I going to be the bionic man but so far I can't find where to put the batteries, but if I do lookout. Rick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had mine done in January - bought a stationary recumbent bike for indoor re-hab, and a recumbent trike to continue outside. I was riding my Spyder by April, and as of last week, the Doc doesn't want to even look at it for 5 years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has been said many times to me "If you're not ready to do ALL the therapy, don't waste your time on the surgery." It's spot-on advice.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Had mine done in January - bought a stationary recumbent bike for indoor re-hab, and a recumbent trike to continue outside. I was riding my Spyder by April, and as of last week, the Doc doesn't want to even look at it for 5 years.
    Stationary recumbent bike has become my absolute favorite exercise. I discovered it when we were members of a gym. Liked it so much, I bought a Cybex professional model for home. It was a godsend as far as preparing me for my hip replacement. And, they think I recovered faster because of it. Expensive, yes. But, has turned out to be worth every penny.

Spyder Garage

Default Two TKR's and still riding

Keep on working at PT. I had both knees replaced in 1998 - 1999. I felt so go I went back to riding a motorcycle. About 3 years ago the arthritus had become so bad in my feet, I couldn't trust them to hold up a bike. In 2010 I bought the 2010 Spyder RT se5. I have some limited range of motion with my right leg (90degrees), but the spyder is a dream to ride. The Spyder has given me the freedom to ride again....safely. So work hard at PT and on days not going to PT, I went to the YMCA and worked out there on the recumbant bike. When someone told me I couldn't do something, I said, "Want to make a bet". It took me a full year after the second knee to feel confident enough to get on a bike. You will know, work hard and remember the stronger the knee becomes, the longer you will be able to ride.

Chikez

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel your pain... tore the Quadraceps tendon completely off my left knee in June and spent the entire summer in a full leg brace after surgery.
    After reading stories about recovery & rehab using a recumbent exercise bike, I started looking and found a nice used one for under $200 and started using it as soon as I was able. I believe it made a huge difference in my recovery and I am still using it to try to protect my poor old age knees.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice,and I'm doing all the PT I can. I know from having new hips that you need to do it. Well it's been 2 weeks and I'm walking with a cane and according to he Dr doing great, but it is somewhat of a good day bad day deal. As for a bike I have a stationary one that I think I will be put on next week. Now I have 100 degree bend in the right and 97 in the left, they want me at 110-125 so it's coming along. Again thanks for the wishes. Rick

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice,and I'm doing all the PT I can. I know from having new hips that you need to do it. Well it's been 2 weeks and I'm walking with a cane and according to he Dr doing great, but it is somewhat of a good day bad day deal. As for a bike I have a stationary one that I think I will be put on next week. Now I have 100 degree bend in the right and 97 in the left, they want me at 110-125 so it's coming along. Again thanks for the wishes. Rick
    You are doing great! Having that much movement so soon is super! It took Nancy and I a month or two to get the 95 degrees we needed to ride a Spyder. Keep up the good work!!!

Spyder Garage

Rick

My wife has had both of her knees replaced. It's not an easy thing for anyone to go through especially for the person having the surgery and the person that is trying their best to take care of them. Don't give up and keep moving forward. After some time you'll be back to yourself again!! Good luck...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Wishing you a quick recovery.
    +1