Spyder Garage

Default Gas milege for spyder riders that ride hard ?

The reason I ask is I am getting 17 to22 mpg. I read about all these people getting 27 to 34 mpg. I have a MBRP exuast, after market filter and a Pc5. I have been working with a speed shop that has a dyno. We can only use the sniffer off the dyno, but he has set the A/F ratio with it. After getting the bike where it runns great and much cooler than stock.I am only getting 17 to 22mpg. I was just wondering what other guys who ride hard are getting? My bike is a 2011 Rss. Now I know I could get better milege if i road it easy, but thats not how I roll
    Last edited by mclovin; 10-24-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The times i rode my 08 Gs hard, I never bothered to check the mileage, I realy didn't want to know.
    It takes away some of the fun.

Spyder Garage

Ya, Gas milege isnt that important to me, I just cant believe my riding style can make such a difference in mpg. It also makes me wonder if something is wrong with my bike. Thats why I am trying to get some feed back from other people who like to ride hard. The only bad thing about the way my bike runs is having to fill up every 80mi.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Optimum fuel tuning for best power generally helps improve fuel mileage in most areas of the fuel map. Unless you're always really deep into the throttle, I'd suspect that it may be tuned a bit rich.....

My 08 had an aggressive exhaust and the original JuiceBox, it got around 30 mpg when playing, 35-ish when cruising........

With Bones, cruising around nice and easy like, I get 34mpg. On those days I ride the twisties, I'm getting around 30.
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Spyder Garage

Default YMMV (literally!)

Old man, suburban driving, some twisties, hop on it if ther's a pretty girl around (or a snobby 'cage guy'): 28-32 mpg. Have gotten 38 once or twice at 55 for a stretch...
    Regards-

Frank.

2014 Cognac RT-S SE6 1330
    2011 Viper Red RT-S SE5 998 (sold)

Spyder Garage

the worst I get, running full throttle for about 47 minutes got 64 miles I got 16mpg, limping along with some friends that drive below the speed limit I got a little over 42mpg. If you ride them hard but not maxed out I get about 25mpg on average.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

I'm kinda with Setho on this. My '08 SM5 mileage range goes from 41 down to 21 depending on the amount and rate of TWIST in my wrist. Generally run in the 27-32 range.
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

arntufun

It's really hard to believe that some could get almost or over 40 mpg unless you are coasting down the mountains with your Spyder off and in neutral. I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg out of mine. Are you sure your math is right ???

Maybe the flatlanders in Florida and the midwest could run higher but 40 mpg ???
    Last edited by arntufun; 10-26-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    It's really hard to believe that some could get almost or over 40 mpg unless you are coasting down the mountains with your Spyder off and in neutral. I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg out of mine. Are you sure your math is right ???

Maybe the flatlanders in Florida and the midwest could run higher but 40 mpg ???
    Fuzzy math.

Spyder Garage

Not if he is only getting 80 miles to a tank
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I'm lucky if I get 25 mpg out of mine.
    Just remember; your constantly fighting your way through all of the fog that's generated by the lawmakers in Albany!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Not if he is only getting 80 miles to a tank
    If i was getting 80 miles to the tank, [approx 14.5 mpg] I would check to see if the drain plug on the bottom of the gas tank is closed all the way.

Spyder Garage

Ok so first off 80mi is when my fuel light comes on, so there is still alittle gas left. I put three tanks of gas through it this week and averaged some where between 17 and 21mpg. I have been playing with the mapping all week and feel like the bike is running as good as I can get it to run, but this fuel milage thing had me wondering if we where doing something wrong. So I pulled out my map and installed one of the dynod mapps off the dyno-jet web site, just to see how it would run. It ran like crap until I got over 5000rpms. I am now back to my map. The bike runs great and runs much cooler than it did stock. So I guess I will just have to live with gas milage. Thanks for your responses.

Spyder Garage

Default fuel light

Seems to me you have a serious problem somewhere. I have a 2011RTSSM and the fuel light stays off til about 140. I'm getting consistent 33 + mpg on the road but less around town.If I was getting mpg that bad I think I'd be sitting on the dealer door steps. I don't ride my bike easy either , high rpm shift and very seldom use 5th unless on superslab.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
    Ok so first off 80mi is when my fuel light comes on, so there is still alittle gas left. I put three tanks of gas through it this week and averaged some where between 17 and 21mpg. I have been playing with the mapping all week and feel like the bike is running as good as I can get it to run, but this fuel milage thing had me wondering if we where doing something wrong. So I pulled out my map and installed one of the dynod mapps off the dyno-jet web site, just to see how it would run. It ran like crap until I got over 5000rpms. I am now back to my map. The bike runs great and runs much cooler than it did stock. So I guess I will just have to live with gas milage. Thanks for your responses.
    Maybe you should go back to square one, and check to see that the Spyder is actually running properly without the extra goodies. An arcing spark plug wire,tight valves, or a variety of other things can make one run poorly. Adding all the extra fuel in the world isn't going to change that. Engine or ignition problems, as simple as a bad spark plug, will also eat gas. Also be aware that in most cases, enrichening the fuel map will also use more gas. It is a rare machine that can be tuned well enough without timing changes in addition to the fuel delivery, to properly overcome the lean EPA fuel/spark settings.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but dont know conversion from miles/gallons to kms/litres. If I ryde reasonably hard I use around 9 litres per 100kms and if I take it easy or on a trip I get around 6 litres per 100 kms, but too be honest, it's all about the fun, not about the economy.
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Maybe you should go back to square one, and check to see that the Spyder is actually running properly without the extra goodies. An arcing spark plug wire,tight valves, or a variety of other things can make one run poorly. Adding all the extra fuel in the world isn't going to change that. Engine or ignition problems, as simple as a bad spark plug, will also eat gas. Also be aware that in most cases, enrichening the fuel map will also use more gas. It is a rare machine that can be tuned well enough without timing changes in addition to the fuel delivery, to properly overcome the lean EPA fuel/spark settings.

Except for running very lean, the bike ran fine befor I put the pipe, air filter and Pcv on.(700mi) I only added feul when the moter was falling on its face. The bike runs better now than it ever has but I still think something is not right. I hate to take every thing off and start all over but I may just have to.