Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder on a trailer

I am goinig to trailer my spyder to Texas this year. I have a 6 by 10 flat bed trailer. I plan on tieing the spyder with 3 tie downs 2 through the front wheels and one through the rear wheel. Do you think this will work. any recommendation.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I have the same setup

I tie my RS-S down just like you--have two additional up to the passenger handles--works great

Spyder Garage

The owners manual has a section on the correct way to secure a Spyder for trailering purposes.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nudle View Post
    I am goinig to trailer my spyder to Texas this year. I have a 6 by 10 flat bed trailer. I plan on tieing the spyder with 3 tie downs 2 through the front wheels and one through the rear wheel. Do you think this will work. any recommendation.
    Had to trailer my Spyder a few times [80 miles one way] And that's how to tie it down.
    Always carry extra straps just in case one falls off, or the ratchet fails on a strap.
    Also rap a towel around the part of strap that makes contact with the wheels [rub]
    Be careful not to put the strap [rear wheel] though the sprocket, it will bend easy.

Spyder Garage

My experience: for my winter in Texas, I pulled my TandemTow trailer with the Spyder aboard from Anacortes, WA to Kerrville, TX. As a particularly anal type of guy, I tied the Spyder down with 7 tiedowns. Yes, probably overkill, but as I said, anal. The platform on the trailer is 6 x 8 ft. Tie downs along the edges and two down the center through the deck.
    Front wheels are tied down sideways from the leading edge of the tires, and from side of trailer around trailing edge of tire back to middle center just in front of the rear tire. Rear tire's trailing edge tied sideways to edge of trailer. Front edge of rear tire is tied forward to forward center tiedown of trailer. Parking brake on, in gear, didn't move an inch for the entire trip. Checked tiedowns couple times a day while on the road. Cloths wrapped around each place where the tie downs passed through the wheels.
    Any questions, send me an email.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

where in Texas are you spending the winter??????perhaps we Texans can meet up with you or have a bar-b-q in your honor....I'm half way between Houston and Galveston.......

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In addition to the heavy duty, ratchet tie downs already mentioned, I have mounted two motorcycle wheel chocks to the floor of my open landscape trailer. These anchor the front wheels solidly and take a bit of strain off of the tie downs during cornering and the inevitable bumps in transit. Some people have added wooden, home made, braces to the floor of their trailers to act as stationary wheel chocks. I just happened to have a set of metal wheel chocks lying around when I set up the trailer for towing the RT.

Note: I believe that adding bracing to the wheels is not a necessity, just an added level of comfort for me when I tow the RT. Tie downs alone will certainly do the job and a simple check of their tension at every stop along the way is recommended.

Have a safe trip and enjoy your "winter cruising".

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Hey Nudle.
    Coming down from the great white North?
    I tie mine down exactly as you describe. One caveat. Be sure to use a towel or sheepskin sheath to protect your front wheels. I didn't the first time and I scratched mine slightly. Have a safe trip! If you come down Interstate 55, and are near Cape Girardeau MO, send me a PM and we will meet up!

Spyder Garage

Default tie downs

When you run your tie downs thru the wheels be sure that the straps don't come into cantact with the valve stems.
    We all have an end to journey toward
    however
    what will matter most
    in the end
    was the journey

Spyder Garage

3 works great we just got back form AR pulling a 16 ft tandem with both on one forward on backwards with 3 tie each they did not move. FYI if you pull one back wards the wind can break the WS off if you have the taller ones

Spyder Garage

I trailered my Spyder last weekend from Michigan to New York with ratchet straps through the front and rear tires just like you describe. There were absolutely zero issues with hauling the Spyder that way.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Don't use the passenger grab bars. The straps will mar the soft surface. Tying through the wheels is sufficient...and is the method BRP recommends in your manual. If the trailer is too short, you can tie the front wheels back and the rear wheel forward, if need be. You can also cross-tie the front wheels, right wheel to left side and vise versa, to save space. Be sure to check the trailer tongue weight before you tie the Spyder down. You should have 10%-15% of the loaded traler weight as a tongue weight. Too light and the trailer becomes unstable.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    In addition to the heavy duty, ratchet tie downs already mentioned, I have mounted two motorcycle wheel chocks to the floor of my open landscape trailer. These anchor the front wheels solidly and take a bit of strain off of the tie downs during cornering and the inevitable bumps in transit....
    That's what I do, too. I have one condor wheel chock that really locks in one of the front wheels and one plain-jane chock. I strap the front wheels to the chocks and the rear wheel using a ratchet strap to tie downs on the bed of the trailer. Traveled through the hills of PA just fine this summer.
    Dan

Invalid Emails
    Mississauga Ontario Canada Alamo Texas jan to may
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the ideas.Make me feel better about towing the spyder to Alamo Texas in Dec.

Spyder Garage

I have a RTL with a trailer hitch and JT'S fender. Would there be a problem strapping to the hitch rather than through the wheel?
    2015 RT Limited
    Show Chrome Drivers Backrest
    Show Chrome Passenger Armrest
    Show Chrome trunk Rack
    Ron's Shock Adjusters
    Ron's Sway Bar
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    CB Communications System
    Spyderpop's Bump-Skid
    Spyderpop's Belt Guard
    JT's Rear Fender

Spyder Garage

Default I'd go through the wheel

By going over the hitch your basically transferring all of the weight through that connection. So every bump you hit all the force is transferred there as well. It's really just as simple to go through the Tim, avoiding the valve stem, and your good to go. I've trailered mine that way for a few thousand miles with zero issue.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The after market rear fender is wider than the tire so the strap would rub on the fender. I do not intend to go over the the hitch, but attach the strap to the ball back to the anchor at the rear of the trailer.
    2015 RT Limited
    Show Chrome trunk Rack
    Ron's Shock Adjusters
    Ron's Sway Bar
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    CB Communications System
    Spyderpop's Bump-Skid
    Spyderpop's Belt Guard
    JT's Rear Fender

Spyder Garage

Default From your picture online it looks doable

Quote Originally Posted by Smutt View Post
    The after market rear fender is wider than the tire so the strap would rub on the fender. I do not intend to go over the the hitch, but attach the strap to the ball back to the anchor at the rear of the trailer.
    From the picture of your spyder in your signature, you could do it. Go from side to side, stay low and your all set. If you want to use the hitch, just be aware that your still basically bound by the 40lb weight limit that would be exceeded by movement of the spyder as the trailer hits bumps.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That is the BRP fender in the picture, the after market one is right in by the wheel. I will have to put it on the trailer and try the side to side method as you suggested. Thanks
    2015 RT Limited
    Show Chrome trunk Rack
    Ron's Shock Adjusters
    Ron's Sway Bar
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    CB Communications System
    Spyderpop's Bump-Skid
    Spyderpop's Belt Guard
    JT's Rear Fender

Spyder Garage

Default Question. Tongue weight rating on car receiver?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Don't use the passenger grab bars. The straps will mar the soft surface. Tying through the wheels is sufficient...and is the method BRP recommends in your manual. If the trailer is too short, you can tie the front wheels back and the rear wheel forward, if need be. You can also cross-tie the front wheels, right wheel to left side and vise versa, to save space. Be sure to check the trailer tongue weight before you tie the Spyder down. You should have 10%-15% of the loaded traler weight as a tongue weight. Too light and the trailer becomes unstable.
    Tongue weight rating for receiver to pull RT Limited around 1000 lbs. Question.
    Hello,
    I have a Subaru Outback and the receiver tongue weight max is 200lbs. 1.25" receiver
    I think this is to small and weak so what is the recommendation from those who trailer their spyders??

Blessings
    Mathew

Spyder Garage

I have towed my spyder over 9,000 miles this year.
    Before I made chocks for the front wheels I had 2X4 stops on all 3 wheels.
    I used 3 harbor freight straps
    Whatever you do make sure you have a 2X4 in front of the rear wheel, it stops it from sliding