Spyder Garage

Default Anyone thought of installing a Reverse beeper?

May be a silly question but has anyone thought of putting a beeper on their bike ? I don't need the noise when backing , just to remind me that its in reverse when starting . The lite they have just isn't visible to me when sitting on the bike , same with turn signals . When not on the bike I have a big green arrow but on the bike I have a little green dot. Twice now I've got on the bike , started it and just about backed into something...last time was a brand new GW. My old GW wasn't a problem because you could fall asleep while backing because it was so slow but spyder kicks butt in reverse.Try to remember to kick into first when parking after backing but my advanced age sometimes makes me forget...LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Leave it in neutral

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No offense, but riding a motorcycle; a Spyder; or a car requires a certain amount of attention to detail on the more difficult tasks required to be a safe-rider...

Remembering to look at what gear you are in seems to be one of the most basic-requirements to operate a vehicle...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Mine goes to neutral when started. Even when left in reverse when shut off.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    No offense, but riding a motorcycle; a Spyder; or a car requires a certain amount of attention to detail on the more difficult tasks required to be a safe-rider...

Remembering to look at what gear you are in seems to be one of the most basic-requirements to operate a vehicle...
    It's not a good thing, Not remembering if your in reverse .

Spyder Garage

Default looking

Gee whiz guys...it was a tongue in cheek type question , comment . I've ridden cycles for over 40 years without any problems , my last GW trike had 109000 miles on it before going to the spyder. I was just noting that with all the safety feature on the spyder it's hard for me to see the little lights from my riding position. Even the R in bright sun is hard for me to see sometimes. I'm used to a cycle that down all the way is 1st gear and to use reverse I had to hit neutral and pull a lever. Believe me , I do have all the basics on starting and riding a cycle . I'm still trying to break the habit of reaching for a non existent brake lever or putting my fingers over it when it looks like someone may do something stupid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    Gee whiz guys...it was a tongue in cheek type question , comment . I've ridden cycles for over 40 years without any problems , my last GW trike had 109000 miles on it before going to the spyder. I was just noting that with all the safety feature on the spyder it's hard for me to see the little lights from my riding position. Even the R in bright sun is hard for me to see sometimes. I'm used to a cycle that down all the way is 1st gear and to use reverse I had to hit neutral and pull a lever. Believe me , I do have all the basics on starting and riding a cycle . I'm still trying to break the habit of reaching for a non existent brake lever or putting my fingers over it when it looks like someone may do something stupid.
    Keep reaching for the brake lever. There is no shame in it, and it labels you as a motorcyclist...LOL. I do it all the time, and I hope I never quit, since I switch rides from time to time.

Adding a reverse beeper or light would be difficult, unless BRP eventually does it. The exising indicators are part of the gauge cluster, and are not accessible or replaceable. It is not as simple as just tapping into the wire. I have no good ideas on how to resolve the issue. I wish I could help. I guess you'll just have to develop some new habits...which isn't so easy once your hair gets gray, at least it sure isn't for me. My solution to not starting in gear (not possible with the SE) is to always start the Spyder before I board, and to sit there in neutral while I plug in my comm system, check my mirrors, etc. If you always set the parking brake, you will more likely be in neutral.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now it's been a couple of days since I rode mine... , but I'm pretty sure that if it was left in gear you had to have your foot on the brake. Once it fired up it would automatically shift into neutral...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

>Adding a reverse beeper or light would be difficult, unless BRP eventually does it. The existing indicators are part of the gauge cluster, and are not accessible or replaceable. It is not as simple as just tapping into the wire.<

Could the function be accessed by the backup lights themselves? They are available and watching the wife start up HER Spyder <G> they come on as soon as key is operated if it's in reverse, unless it would unbalance the lamp senors if there are any to report bulb failure. Just a thought. A
    2018 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    >Adding a reverse beeper or light would be difficult, unless BRP eventually does it. The existing indicators are part of the gauge cluster, and are not accessible or replaceable. It is not as simple as just tapping into the wire.<

Could the function be accessed by the backup lights themselves? They are available and watching the wife start up HER Spyder <G> they come on as soon as key is operated if it's in reverse, unless it would unbalance the lamp senors if there are any to report bulb failure. Just a thought. A
    Hadn't thought about that. The RS does not have separate backup lights, but the RT does. A positap on the wire, run to an LED on the dash and/or a low current beeper would do the job. Good thinking!
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default back-up beeper

I think an audible back-up beeper is available thru jc whitney they are made for use with/on pedestrians but since we are on an open machine the driver would certainly hear it .Ithink it could be hooked up as previously stated. MIKE

Spyder Garage

I have a little cheap beeper from Radio Shack that should work. Go see them. I was going to wire it into the turn signals on my Blazer since that clicker is so low volume. It got a little more difficult than I wanted to deal with so now it's in my 'supply' drawer.

On my RS the turn signal light it hard to see in bright sunlight tho. Over a year ago someone posted here that they tapped into those wires and put L & R LED's in the outer parts of the instrument cluster. Sounds like a pretty good idea and didn't look too difficult. My reverse light is plenty bright to be seen.

I've never parked in reverse but did so in 1st a couple times and when the engine started it shifted to N right away. I agree, park in N, especially with an SE. If I had an SM I probably would park in gear to hold the bike, just like with a manual car.

Spyder Garage

Default beeper

I think I just may give the beeper wired into the backup lights a shot. Even though I'm a veteran rider another "safety " reminder in case I forget I'm in reverse won't hurt. If nothing else I'm sure it will be another topic of spyder talk in parking lots....LOL

Spyder Garage

Default PS....Thanks for the suggestion on how to do it Archer.

Thanks for the suggestion on how to do it Archer

Spyder Garage

My ski-doo came equipped with a reverse beeper. Very annoying. I don't use reverse much or I would probably unhook it.
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason some Vehicles come with a backup alarm is to alert people behind that vehicle '
    It's not to let the driver know if their in reverse,
    That's something they should know already [drivers ed. 101]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    The reason some Vehicles come with a backup alarm is to alert people behind that vehicle '
    It's not to let the driver know if their in reverse,
    That's something they should know already [drivers ed. 101]
    I think everyone would know that. No?
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    My ski-doo came equipped with a reverse beeper. Very annoying. I don't use reverse much or I would probably unhook it.
    Or you could just paint the sled to look like a John Deere, then folks would think it was quite natural.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    I think everyone would know that. No?
    You would think so, But every now and then some driver would forget which gear their in and crash
    right though a storefront.

Spyder Garage

I installed LED turn indicators on my mirrors and they flash when in reverse. It also helps remind me when the turn signals don't automatically cancel.
    My 2011 RSS SM5 Mods all self installed: Spyder Detailing Graphics, Madstad, Kewlmetal risers, Rivco Driver Floorboards, Evoluzione Sway Bar, 25" Touring Windshield, 2010 RT Shocks, Hindle Exhaust, Isci Handbrake, Kurakyn Grips , Rivco Passenger Floorboards, Tricled fender tips and fender lights. Rivco license plate flag holder. BRP backrest. ESI tail light lens.

Spyder Garage

How far will you travel before you realise you're reversing? An inch, maybe two?

How many beeps is that? Two or three, five at the most.

We have a garbage truck reverses the full length of our street once a week on garbage collection day. It's really loud but nobody notices his reversing beeper any more.

So much for beepers.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

I'm seriously thinking of putting in a back up beeper as well.

Not for safety reasons.

I just want to announce to anyone within earshot that

MY SPYDER HAS REVERSE !!!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey